What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU adding Fresno St. to 2011-13 football schedules

edit. I had something to say here, then i realized it made no sense. nothing to see here. these aren't the droids you're looking for.

40 years inbetween Baton Rouge trips, like that's supposed to be important? How long inbetween trips to Hawaii? How long inbetween trips to Tennessee? Or Auburn? Or Penn State? Or Ohio State? This is ridiculous. You make it sound like this was the golden opportunity of a lifetime.

You of all people can appriciate the thrill of hanging out with Cajuns.

Death Valley/LSU is the Holy Grail of CU scheduling. Comparing LSU to those other programs is like comparing chalk and cheese. Cajuns aside, Happy Valley and tOSU is the Big 10, and aren't even in the same league as LSU in more ways than one. Besides, those programs weren't dangling before us only to be pulled away like a tease. The Hula bowl is a pit, and the CU game in Hawaii is more of an excuse for a family vacation than a football pilgrimage to the mecca that is LSU.

The reason I don't just buy a LSU verses whoever ticket is because I'm a CU fan, and watching CU upset victories on the road is awsome.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just another school as far as I'm concerned. I plan on making the trip to Hawaii, BTW. And yes, Aloha Stadium is a dump. So what?

So what? It's both shocking and appalling that the master of the Allbuff tailgate considers LSU to be just an other school. By the same logic, Natty Light and Red Stripe is just another beer, Lexis is just another car and Scarlet Johannson is just an other girl. That's the so what.

Jesus H. Christ in a chickenbasket. The series with LSU was postponed, not canceled, because of some conflicts that ASU had. We have a signed contract w/ ASU, and not with LSU, so we had to honor the ASU agreement. Some of you a treating this as the same as what KState did earlier this year with Fresno St. It's not even close.

So what? It's both shocking and appalling that the master of the Allbuff tailgate considers LSU to be just an other school. By the same logic, Natty Light and Red Stripe is just another beer, Lexis is just another car and Scarlet Johannson is just an other girl. That's the so what.

Meh.

I'm impressed that you remembered my A) favorite beer, b) favorite car and C) favorite movie hottie.

WOW. Are you from Baton Rouge??

Jesus H. Christ in a chickenbasket. The series with LSU was postponed, not canceled, because of some conflicts that ASU had. We have a signed contract w/ ASU, and not with LSU, so we had to honor the ASU agreement. Some of you a treating this as the same as what KState did earlier this year with Fresno St. It's not even close.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

So ASU calls CU and says we have a contract to play in Boulder in 2013 that need to change. ASU wants a raincheck, leaving a hole in the home schedule.

CU gets to thinking about it's options.

Well, one solution is to play CSU at invesco in 2011 instead of Boulder, and that gives CU an extra $650K, but would mean that CU needs an other home game in Boulder.

So Bohn looks at the schedule and figures either Hawaii or LSU must go. As CU has a recent deal with Hawaii and an unsigned deal with LSU, he picks up the phone and asks LSU if they'd mind playing in Boulder in 2011 and in Baton Rouge in 2012. LSU declines the offer, causing CU to do some more thinking.

Someone remembers an earlier deal with Fresno involving a 2-1 a few years back, and reads about how kjuco scuttled their series with the Bulldogs. The lightbulb comes on and CU calls the spurned Fresno to see if they want a little BCS/B12 on their dancecard. Fresno, desperate for legitimacy, says "call your tune." So CU offers up the 2-1 deal that takes care of home games in 2011 and 2013, and a date in Fresno in 2012. Perfect, CU says. Let's do it.

Then CU calls back LSU and asks for a raincheck. LSU says that they don't schedule too far in advance, but agree in principle that a future date is possible, although for whatever other reasons, Plati tells us it wouldn't be sooner than 2020 or 2021.

So now for 2012 CU has dropped LSU at home and picks up Fresno away, meaning that only 5 home games are currently scheduled and the location of the CSU game remains TBD.

IMO, I'd have rather seen CU play hardball with CSU in 2011 and 2012 tell them that the game will be played in Boulder both years, love it or leave it. Then never even mess with the already agreed upon dates with LSU. I don't know why CSU (or ASU) deserves so much respect that it means putting Fresno ahead of LSU. The net result of all this movement is pushing the 5-games at home issue into 2012.

Thank goodness this scheduling is a WIP, and will likely change some more.

Meh.

I'm impressed that you remembered my A) favorite beer, b) favorite car and C) favorite movie hottie.

BTW: Fresno is the Counting Crows of opponents. :cool:

WOW. Are you from Baton Rouge??

Nope. Colorado born & bred. I don't even have Louisiana relatives. It's just that I have had several very enjoyable experiences in Louisiana, have had some great roommates and coworkers from Louisiana, and have met some nice transplants in Cody, WY and Glenwood. The common thread is a great sense of humor, a strong tradition of hospitality, and unique tastes in food and music. That personal experience combined with everything I've seen or heard about gameday in Baton Rouge is enough to put LSU at the absolute top of the list of places where I want to see the Buffs schedule an OOC.

Funny thing is that I really don't like the LSU team enough to see them play an other opponent. At the UT-OU game in Dallas, I learned there is a big difference in being a spectator at someone else's game verses being a fan and cheering on the Buffs with heart and soul. I'd be interested in hearing any stories from the 1980 game. Unfortunately I wasn't even a teen back then, and have no memory of the hype.

I suspect that once CU makes the trip once, and gets a wiff of that corndog smell, the 'meh' factor will be replaced with a clamoring for more trips to cajun country. In the meantime I'll just have to wait an other 10-12 years (when DBT's is 66 years old) to find that out and stew over the nosebleed that is Fresno State x 3.

Until the rest of the Big 12 starts playing on a level non-conference field, this is a good move. Nebraska has Idaho, Western Kentucky, and South Dakota State on its non-conference slate for '10 - a schedule announced this spring. Both Kansas schools are notorious for cupcakes. CU can't face a 2-2 non-conference record annually while the rest of the conference starts 3-1 or 4-0. Kansas went into the Missouri game on the heels of an embarrassing slate of non-conference schedule, but would have played for the national championship had they won out. Punishment for playing cupcakes? None.

CU has played 27 ranked non-conference foes since 1990, more than any team in the conference (Nebraska has played 14 - and they are second highest in the North). CU doesn't need to apologize to anyone for taking on a decent Fresno State team while postponing a home-and-home with LSU.

Until the rest of the Big 12 starts playing on a level non-conference field, this is a good move. Nebraska has Idaho, Western Kentucky, and South Dakota State on its non-conference slate for '10 - a schedule announced this spring. Both Kansas schools are notorious for cupcakes. CU can't face a 2-2 non-conference record annually while the rest of the conference starts 3-1 or 4-0. Kansas went into the Missouri game on the heels of an embarrassing slate of non-conference schedule, but would have played for the national championship had they won out. Punishment for playing cupcakes? None.

CU has played 27 ranked non-conference foes since 1990, more than any team in the conference (Nebraska has played 14 - and they are second highest in the North). CU doesn't need to apologize to anyone for taking on a decent Fresno State team while postponing a home-and-home with LSU.

You mean the same Fresno St team that KJuco was afraid of playing? IMHO, I think they are a good quality opponent, not LSU of course, but a decent opponent nevertheless. I have to agree with you, that I believe the rest of the Big XII should have more pride and schedule like CU, but if they are not going to then why should we? Yeah, yeah, we need it to sell tix, and to get on TV, but getting to a better bowl game and padding the stats of players going to NFL also helps the program. There are huge rewards if you play a tough schedule and WIN, but most often you just wind up with a mediocre record, until you have that magical team that is able to defeat anyone. Then and only then should you have a strong OOC to get the high rankings needed to play in the MNC. Of course the schedules are decided years in advance so it's difficult to predict what kind of team you will have and also the quality of your opponent other than the name recognition. Therefore, planning this far ahead and seeing that the Big XII is stronger; perhaps not having a killer OOC is a good thing. JMHO. :cool:

i think pat hill at FS is a damn fine coach. i am suprised he has not been picked up by a bigger program.

i was really looking forward to LSU. its one of my top 5 places to see a game. seeing ralphie run there, ala UGA would be the bomb!!!

it may still happen. it may not. i think it would be sweet if CU could do a round robin of sorts with the sec. for two years, tennessee. for two years, alabama. for two years, auburn. for two years florida. for two years south carolina. ect. home/home of course. i know it wont happen but it would still be cool.

i think there is a better than even chance that we and CU football will find a way to survive this postponement. as hard as it may be to imagine, that sun will still rise to the east of folsom field and shine its light on that grand old stadium.

i will struggle, but i may be able to muster the strength to conceede that the powers that be in the CU AD have a plan when it comes to things like this and just accept it for what it is. i guess i can manage to strap in and hang on for the ride!!! :gobuffs:

:smile2::lol::wink2::cool:

Hi Montana. Welcome to Allbuffs.:thumbsup:

The story is a Auburn tradition, just like it's been an LSU tradition to kick their ass on the football field. Could it be that smell is comming from the bottom of LSU's shoes?

I know LSU is the greatest football team in the history of the planet, but the overall series record is 22-19-1 in LSU's favor, with Auburn holding a 9-7 advantage since 1992 (expansion of the SEC). So yeah, a real "tradition" of kicking ass there.:lol:

I know LSU is the greatest football team in the history of the planet, but the overall series record is 22-19-1 in LSU's favor, with Auburn holding a 9-7 advantage since 1992 (expansion of the SEC). So yeah, a real "tradition" of kicking ass there.:lol:
Ok, I did get a little carried away there, but I'm still pissed off at Auburn for the chop block on Dorsey last time they played. It was an intentional cheap shot.

But I don't care about how the other teams do it. I have no respect for the "New" Formula that is being followed by the teams to win the MNC. It is crap. I don't want to watch CU beat up on 2 scrubs so they can pad their win/losses. I want to CU great games every weak. CU can't control the ICS, but they can at least control the OCS. They need to bring the best teams week in and week out.

If we are going to win a MNC I want it to be done the right way, not the easy way.

Without Miami of Ohio last year CU probably would of not gone to a bowl game. We would not be optimistic and some would be ready to commit hari kari again. Would be talk of firing Hawk. So yeah, a cupcake or two is not bad for the program. To think otherwise is idiotic. Yes, would be great to win every game against top competition, but nobody does that, including all the past MNC winners. The all have some patsies. I remember the U of Pacific scheduling all the hard teams each year. I don't remember them ever competing for a NC, so saying 'we will recruit better if we schedule a really hard OOC' is crap. Last I remember, the teams outrecruiting us have those soft OOC schedules. Kids want wins. Kids want to compete for a NC. If the OOC is always so hard that we cannot get out of it without losses, then kidw who want a NC might shoose not to go here. Winning out in the B12 is enough to get into the NC game if you are undefeated. Stop acting like a small man with a chip on your shoulder and start thinking about what gets CU into better bowl games, have more wins, and makes more money and helps recruit better. Wins do that.

I am not saying to schedule all patsies, but 1 BCS contending type team, 2 mid majors, and one patsie does not seem unreasonable, especially if you go on the road for half of them (unlike some teams who stay home for all games). The argument that 'small teams have no gain, you get no kudos if you beat them, and it is the end of the world if you don't' has no cred. If you can't beat the small teams, then you would have had the snot beat out of you be the big ones, which does on give cred to you either. But you CAN be good enough to beat the small ones while not good enough to beat the big ones early, and go on with wins as your team gels and gets better. There is middle ground, and I certainly did not see KU getting no 'cred' last year while beating patsies.

I think the Bohn is closed in thinking to waht I just posted, due to the recent schedule changes. he wants wins, bowl games, and the more wins, the more butts in the seats from local fans (every team has bandwagon fans if you win enough, and they pay the same as rabid CU fans). The fact that they are looking to sell Folsom naming rights means that he is about making CU money. that means wins, not 'we lost 3 OOC games, but had a harder schedule than team X that is undefeated'.

Of course, big games mean TV money too. Hmmm. Where is the middle ground for wins and revenue? I still think more wins means more revenue.

Thank you - the 700 mile commute to home games can be a pain (ever driven through eastern Wyoming?), but it's worth it! Can't wait for August 31st!

Go Buffs!

Wanna trade your 700 miler from Montana with my 900 miler from Dallas?
Compaired to OKC/Wichita/Salina/Limon or Amarillo/Dumas, eastern WYO would be a welcome change. But then again with DFW/DIA under $300RT, why drive?

If have a question for those of you who justify padding our schedule to improve our OOC record before starting the Big12, by pointing to the other programs who take this approach,

Do you also work just hard enough or just long enough to meet your employeers expectation? Or do you work longer and harder than those around you in an attempt to exceed expectations?

Not judging, just curious. Most people I work with, work just enough to stay employed, but then complain every year when all they get is an average raise and no promotion.

There is one thing that is bothering me as well. Everyone seems to ASSUME that if you schedule top programs that you will come out of the OOC with a .500 record. Seems like a glass half full attitude. I see no reason why we can't schedule 4 BCS teams and have a chance to win everyone of them. Will they be tough games. YES. But the side effect is that they will be great games worthy of spending 4 hours watching. Do you all really want to sit through 4 hours of a 35-7 or 42-10 football game against a Mid-Major. Just seems anti-football to me.

I would much rather watch a game that comes down to the final drive, win or lose, then watch 4 hours of CU beating up on a Mid-major all in the name of improving your chances to have a been record.

If have a question for those of you who justify padding our schedule to improve our OOC record before starting the Big12, by pointing to the other programs who take this approach,

Do you also work just hard enough or just long enough to meet your employeers expectation? Or do you work longer and harder than those around you in an attempt to exceed expectations?

Not judging, just curious. Most people I work with, work just enough to stay employed, but then complain every year when all they get is an average raise and no promotion.

There is one thing that is bothering me as well. Everyone seems to ASSUME that if you schedule top programs that you will come out of the OOC with a .500 record. Seems like a glass half full attitude. I see no reason why we can't schedule 4 BCS teams and have a chance to win everyone of them. Will they be tough games. YES. But the side effect is that they will be great games worthy of spending 4 hours watching. Do you all really want to sit through 4 hours of a 35-7 or 42-10 football game against a Mid-Major. Just seems anti-football to me.

I would much rather watch a game that comes down to the final drive, win or lose, then watch 4 hours of CU beating up on a Mid-major all in the name of improving your chances to have a been record.

I don't think anybody said schedule Sam Houston ST. The risk is not worth the reward for playing all BCS OOC. If CU can play for the NC with either schedule what's the point?? The goal is to win games not hold up the schedule at the end of the year and say "we lost 1 or 2 but look who we played". I'm tired of playing a tougher sched than the national contenders. It's BS.

That's great if you come down to the final drive with a chance to win the game. Too often we have been out of it in the first half, if not the first quarter.

This still goes back to 'we have to have the hardest schedule in the land. We are proud of that.' attitude.

great. now win those games. But if given the chance, do you stick with hawk if he goes 5-7 for the next 4 years by losing games to the best schools, or do you stick with him if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 with good bowl games? you would rather have the losses and no bowl game?

I just don't understand why we have to make the road twice as hard as anyone else. Football is a game of momentum, and wins breed confidence and momentum. Losses breed questions and lack of confidence. i am not advocating all pushovers for OOC, but why does everyone feel we need four BCS champions to play for our OOC? CSU may need that schedule for a shot at a MNC, but not CU. Want proof? Look no further and MU or KU. You don't have to beat every great team out there, you have to win every game, then win the conf championship and then the BCS bowl game (MNC). You have to win all games, then win the big game, not beat every big team out there.

If you want it the other way, then CU will never get anouther NC. Nobody would with a murderers row schedule like that.

I guess my response would be to turn your analogy around: Would you continue to bust your backside at a job when the guy down the hall does half the work and gets paid twice as much? If the Big 12 ever comes out and requires every team to have two BCS non-conference opponents each year, I'm with you. But as long as our peers are making a concerted effort to go 4-0 each September, we should not turn a blind eye to this reality.

Let's say CU goes 2-2 this September (hopefully not, but not a stretch, either). K-State gets three wins over North Texas, Montana State, and Louisiana-Lafayette (also not a stretch). Both go 4-4 in conference. The Big 12 has nine bowl-eligible teams and CU, at 6-6, gets left out. K-State gets 15 more practices, some bowl money, exposure, and recruiting advantages. No pluses there for the Buffs.

Wanna trade your 700 miler from Montana with my 900 miler from Dallas?
Compaired to OKC/Wichita/Salina/Limon or Amarillo/Dumas, eastern WYO would be a welcome change. But then again with DFW/DIA under $300RT, why drive?

Are you going to the A&M game November 1st? A first timer for yell practice at College Station (Yell Practice on Halloween - should be wild). Any must sees or must dos for a Buff taking a road trip south?

This is a discussion that CU fans have been entertaining for the past ten years. I have always been on the side of making the non-conference schedule as easy as possible, because the conference schedule is plenty hard as it is. It appears to me that Bohn and Hawkins are trying to move to an easier non-conference schedule, too.

I'll make my last word on scheduling this:

I used to not care who we played since I was near campus and could go to every game.

Now that I'm farther away and can't go to every game, just make the games interesting enough that they get televised.

This is a discussion that CU fans have been entertaining for the past ten years. I have always been on the side of making the non-conference schedule as easy as possible, because the conference schedule is plenty hard as it is. It appears to me that Bohn and Hawkins are trying to move to an easier non-conference schedule, too.

Designing the OOC schedule around the same formula every year is boring.
There's nothing wrong with pussifying the schedule KU/KSU style in one year, and put together a marquee OOC the next.

The key point in business is to keep your customers happy. Some fans want to maximize the W-L record even if that means loading up on cupcakes. Some fans want attractive matchups at home. Some want attractive road destinations. Some want CSU every year. Others don't. At the end of the day, this is about entertainment dollars coming into the athletic department.

It sticks in my craw when CU fans use the 'keeping up with the jonses' arguement. We should do it because everyone else is, blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, Colorado University needs to be true to Colorado fans and Colorado supporters.

This thread is about Fresno 2-1 versus LSU home and home. Truth is that FS is no cupcake, and might just take 2 out of the 3 games in the series. It's also about lifting fan expectations with a rare matchup with a storied program, then pulling out the rug.

All this talk about 1 easy, 2 mid-majors and 1 tough formula is really a different discussion for a different thread.

I guess my response would be to turn your analogy around: Would you continue to bust your backside at a job when the guy down the hall does half the work and gets paid twice as much? If the Big 12 ever comes out and requires every team to have two BCS non-conference opponents each year, I'm with you. But as long as our peers are making a concerted effort to go 4-0 each September, we should not turn a blind eye to this reality.

Let's say CU goes 2-2 this September (hopefully not, but not a stretch, either). K-State gets three wins over North Texas, Montana State, and Louisiana-Lafayette (also not a stretch). Both go 4-4 in conference. The Big 12 has nine bowl-eligible teams and CU, at 6-6, gets left out. K-State gets 15 more practices, some bowl money, exposure, and recruiting advantages. No pluses there for the Buffs.

YES. I do everyday. I don't care what the guy down the hall does or how much he makes. I do not measure myself against him. I only measure myself against my own perceived potential. I don't know how to do something at other than 100%. Believe I tried having the other attitude, and it effective me in more than just my office life. If I am going to do something I am going to do to make every attempt to do it at 100%+ of my potential, otherwise I find not satisfaction in attempting the task.

The plus is that I got to see 4 good football games, which is why I watch football first and foremost. I am obviously in the minority on this, but for me it's more about the game and not the record. Yes I know, this is not how th real world works. Fine, but it doesn't mean I have to concede or except the point. Is there an extreme. Sure if Hawkins was going 0-4 EVERY year in the OOC then I wouldn't be happy. But that would tell me that Hawkins is the right guy, not that the schedule was to hard. I don't expect be 4-0 EVERY year with a tough OOC schedule. But I would expect 3-1 most years, 4-0 every now and again, and a few 2-2 here and there. I don't think those expectations are to far reaching.

I am not saying you need to play the number 1 BCS school from each conference every year. But why couldn't you play a top BCS school, two average BCS schools, and 1 struggling BCS school

What would be wrong with this OOC as an example

LSU
Boston College
Oregon State
Minnesota

I could easily see CU going 4-0 or 3-1 and still get to see some very good games in which CU would have to bring their A game to get a win.

Last edited:
Are you going to the A&M game November 1st? A first timer for yell practice at College Station (Yell Practice on Halloween - should be wild). Any must sees or must dos for a Buff taking a road trip south?

Yeah. Watch the game on television and stay away from Collie Station unless you enjoy experiencing delusion, nut-grabbing, dead dogs, and male cheerleaders in person.

Pick me up on the way to college station.

Back