What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-Air Force....did anyone know this?

Fair enough. Looks like I have been lucky to not see any of our fans do stupid stuff. I'm glad we are living down to our reputation. I'll crawl back in my hole now.

The reputation is wildly exaggerated. Maybe CU fans are slightly worse than average with opposing fans, but I doubt it is much more than that overall.

Fair enough. Looks like I have been lucky to not see any of our fans do stupid stuff. I'm glad we are living down to our reputation. I'll crawl back in my hole now.

"Here come the assholes"

Anyone have that picture? I've lost it.

I don't get the impression that the general CU student would care that much these days. Most people have become smart enough to be able to recognize that you can oppose a war while supporting the troops.

My dad tells me about how crazy it was back then. The irony being that he attended CU Boulder for undergrad and grad school, enlisted in the Army to serve in Vietnam and was shot over there (million dollar wound, didn't hit any arteries or do major damage) and returned home. I'm betting there are a lot of similar stories for numerous CU grads. So, the Air Force Academy brass need to realize that blanket statements about CU students being anti-war is pretty lame.

I don't get the impression that the general CU student would care that much these days. Most people have become smart enough to be able to recognize that you can oppose a war while supporting the troops.

My dad tells me about how crazy it was back then. The irony being that he attended CU Boulder for undergrad and grad school, enlisted in the Army to serve in Vietnam and was shot over there (million dollar wound, didn't hit any arteries or do major damage) and returned home. I'm betting there are a lot of similar stories for numerous CU grads. So, the Air Force Academy brass need to realize that blanket statements about CU students being anti-war is pretty lame.
I would agree. CU, as a campus, probably has accepted our Master of the Universe role as much as any other campus.bomb.jpg

And especially since CU has all 4 ROTC branches on campus too. That's at least one half of one percent of the student population that is not anti-military.

And especially since CU has all 4 ROTC branches on campus too. That's at least one half of one percent of the student population that is not anti-military.

I thought there were only three ROTC branches.

I've seen plenty of crappy fan behavior during my time as a student and I think I actually remember that UT game. Their band was pelted (with marshmallows) and I do remember some dumbass Texas fan that chose to walk in front of the senior/grad student section and chose to stop to return insults, promptly lost his ten gallon hat, tried to retrieve it, didn't go so well, security came, .... Good times!

Yes I knew about it, I was there and it was pretty ugly. Most of you are too young to remember the Vietnam War era. The emotions ran high in regards to the War. The military academies represented the war and CU represented the extreme left...unfortunately it spilled over into places it never should have.

The War was wrong but like many causes the followers get too caught up in the emotion and do too little thinking about right and wrong. It was an embarrassment to the University of Colorado.

Yes I knew about it, I was there and it was pretty ugly. Most of you are too young to remember the Vietnam War era. The emotions ran high in regards to the War. The military academies represented the war and CU represented the extreme left...unfortunately it spilled over into places it never should have.

The War was wrong but like many causes the followers get too caught up in the emotion and do too little thinking about right and wrong. It was an embarrassment to the University of Colorado.

Boulder was real hippie back then. Not trust fund hippie like it is today. The trust fund hippies of today aren't too concerned about the draft...unless the beer is flat that is.

It's not like cadets are all lily white and non-rapey, either. I don't see AFA earning a spot on the high horse here.

Bottom line is that I would book a flight to C-Springs in a heartbeat to soak in a CU-AFA matchup at the Academy. What a great excuse to spend some quality football time in a fantastic setting.

These old birds need to adjust to post cold-war realities in the theaters of war and football.

(CSB)--when Sal passed away, Dee Dowis, the star AF qb came to the memorial in his blue uniform. He was a genuinely nice guy. The next year, when CU, AFA and CSU were invited to the governors mansion after we all won our bowl games, the AFA players and Buffs were very social. The lambs kept to themselves, seeing as how they owed scoreboard to their betters. I wish we did play AFA. It is a "local" game that would get national attention.

Between the lot of us we have been to hundreds, if not thousands of games over the years. Has anyone ever seen a CU fan throw something at an opposing band or fan?

Seriously, anyone? I have never witnessed more than good natured smack talk. Am I just blind to the myriad of atrocities heaped upon our helpless opposing fans?

Back in the eighties they let opposing cheerleaders cheer in front of the CU student section. During a game with the Nubstiks a gallon jug came flying out of the student section and nailed a Fuskerette cheerleader square in her protruding Neanderthallic brow. Now opposing cheer squads stay the **** away from the student section.

Who can forget a more recent Nub showdown when they cleared the student section for alleged piss bombings, wheelchair pushings and general object hurlings?

I'd love to see us play Air Force. Maybe re-structure the RMS to where we alternate playing CSU and Air Force every other year, on campus of course.

A rotation of CSU, AF, and UNC would be much better than the current option.

Yes. except replace UNC with Wyo and stipulate the CU home games are exclusively to be played in Folsom.

Between the lot of us we have been to hundreds, if not thousands of games over the years. Has anyone ever seen a CU fan throw something at an opposing band or fan?

Seriously, anyone? I have never witnessed more than good natured smack talk. Am I just blind to the myriad of atrocities heaped upon our helpless opposing fans?

Yes. When the Student section had to be cleared because the students were throwing things at the refs because they did not like the a call...I think it was a Nebraska game. CU students threw stuff at the Texas Band....It was a tradition for CU Student to Throw Marshmellows and it was reported numerous times that stuff was in them like batteries.

(CSB)--when Sal passed away, Dee Dowis, the star AF qb came to the memorial in his blue uniform. He was a genuinely nice guy. The next year, when CU, AFA and CSU were invited to the governors mansion after we all won our bowl games, the AFA players and Buffs were very social. The lambs kept to themselves, seeing as how they owed scoreboard to their betters. I wish we did play AFA. It is a "local" game that would get national attention.

I think the players on the field usually respect one another but a few rowdy fans can turn into a mob mentality that can turn ugly. Today there is no longer the resentment towards the military and I think if you asked a lot of people from that time they would tell you that how our members of the military was treated at that time it was wrong. I would not mind playing AFA but I would not want to play both them and CSU in the Same season.

I too have seen CU fans act badly. But I don't think it's really out of control, as our Texas fan would have us believe.

I have seen students act badly everywhere. I don't think it is just CU, I think it is college guys. Generally guys at that age, and I was no exception, are kind dumb asses.

Yes. When the Student section had to be cleared because the students were throwing things at the refs because they did not like the a call...I think it was a Nebraska game. CU students threw stuff at the Texas Band....It was a tradition for CU Student to Throw Marshmellows and it was reported numerous times that stuff was in them like batteries.

I never saw any marshmellows stuffed with batteries. That is an expensive solution when you can just put rocks in them.

I never saw any marshmellows stuffed with batteries. That is an expensive solution when you can just put rocks in them.

Never saw marshmallows stuffed with batteries thrown, but did see batteries wrapped in white tape thrown. And I agree with BnG and Tini, I'd happily replace CSU with AFA on the schedule on at least a rotating basis.

Last edited:
I am guilty of throwing oranges on the field. Going to Miami, baby!
And then that got reduced to orange slices.
Then those orange slices were prohibited. This lead to throwing snowballs.
And then marshmallows (and marshmallow related projectiles of the nail variety).
Of course there was the obligatory cup fight at half-time in the student section.

A well thrown object landing in the bell of a tuba was a cause for celebration and earn much praise.

Then came the camera & binocular goons in Gamow tower with radios connected to Argus thugs. And they took away beer sales.

Folsom once required balls, and was an absolute riot. Good times.

The place is a bit more neutered now. The struggling football program has deflated the sense of pride. Brash displays of drunken entitlement are gone with the top 25 rankings.

Students don't look down for objects to throw any more because a cell phone is obstructing the view of the ground. The gray hairs don't wade through as much vomiting students in the restroom stalls any more.

It's a milder, gentler, more "sportsman" like atmosphere in Boulder, where the pre game tailgate is likely the high point, capped by Ralphie's run. Things go quickly downhill from there.

All that crazy of the early nineties Boulder has migrated to the SEC.

Sure would be nice to earn back that bad-boy status again some day.

Back