What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU at **** Game Day Thread

We were up close to 30 on BYU and they cut it to single digits iirc. I don't remember exactly but I remember sweatin that game when I didn't think it would be possible.
Apparently that should have been the goal for the season - get up by thirty and they probably won't have time to come all the way back.

Was Fletch in the doghouse during that second half? He and AZ were in the game when we went on the tear to go up 14, then they come out and we get completely dismantled. And I don't remember Fletch going back in till we were losing. AZ too. We used our time outs appropriately, but then didn't change the players that were falling apart. What gives?

Because in those situations our guard play is frantic and mediocre at best. Utah missed plenty of shots themselves, but notice how their guards weren't turning the ball over in the final minutes and didn't completely crumble like ours did. Its bad when you have to play your inexperienced true frosh PG over your starter because he's doing more harm than good.

The common thread in all of the meltdown losses described in this thread is the panicky "pee down your leg" play of our ball-handlers in the back-court. As soon as the defensive pressure gets ratcheted up during crunch time we have no confidence and no answer. Add to that Boyle's bad substitution tendencies and we go from what should've been the PAC12 champs, a top 10 ranking, and a 2 seed in the NC2As to the bed-stain that we saw last night.

Dom continually cracks when the going gets tough and should see only limited minutes throughout the remainder of the season. Turn the team over to AK now. Start grooming him for next season now and maybe we can still have a successful run in the tourney. Dom may have a higher ceiling as an athlete(I disagree) but AK has a much higher bball IQ and is way more mentally tough, calm and confident. His demeanor especially at the end of a game on the road with 15000 fans screaming is what you want and need out of a true PG.

When is Tad going to learn to stay with the hot hand? Let's see, we're kicking Utah's ass(so badly that they were just heaving up desperation 3's) so I better yank those responsible so that our "starters" can get back in to **** the bed.

I'd count UW and Wazzu as well, even though we won. Same symptom

UW sure, but I prefer to block the WSU game out of memory. Double OT and not getting home till 11:30 doesn't make for the greatest time. :)

UW sure, but I prefer to block the WSU game out of memory. Double OT and not getting home till 11:30 doesn't make for the greatest time. :)

That's one of the things that's changed so fast about the program, right? I mean, when we were still in a Big 12 and playing a last place team (maybe TTU at the time)... a double OT victory against them or any conference foe would have been a great game and an amazing night. Now that expectations have changed so much, all that game did was piss people off and make them worried about this team.

Weird season. Team tied the CU record for regular season win total but it somehow feels disappointing. So many opportunities were left on the court. This team has been so close to being special. It can still happen in the post-season, but I'm also worried they'll lay an egg.

That's one of the things that's changed so fast about the program, right? I mean, when we were still in a Big 12 and playing a last place team (maybe TTU at the time)... a double OT victory against them or any conference foe would have been a great game and an amazing night. Now that expectations have changed so much, all that game did was piss people off and make them worried about this team.

Weird season. Team tied the CU record for regular season win total but it somehow feels disappointing. So many opportunities were left on the court. This team has been so close to being special. It can still happen in the post-season, but I'm also worried they'll lay an egg.

College basketball is so funny. The narrative for this season has yet to be written. Two wins next week and suddenly this is the greatest season in fifty years.

Wazzou wouldn't have been all that bad had tipoff not been at 8pm. But I digress.

Its the way they lost the close games that takes some of the shine off this season. A good season overall that showed promise for a lot more.

Wazzou wouldn't have been all that bad had tipoff not been at 8pm. But I digress.

Its the way they lost the close games that takes some of the shine off this season. A good season overall that showed promise for a lot more.

Where I've been getting annoyed is that most of the bitching about this team on this site has come from people who did not think this team would make the Dance and would probably not make the NIT. It's bizarre to me that someone would hate on a team that far exceeded his expectations.

I get that we re-set expectations after the season is going and we see how a team fits together & what it is capable of. But I really do think the fans have been way too hard on this bunch instead of enjoying a ride that's been much more successful than just about anyone thought it would be.

I'm going to guess no foul called on this play--see photo.

Cc84ibnUUAAz_RY.jpg:large

Where I've been getting annoyed is that most of the bitching about this team on this site has come from people who did not think this team would make the Dance and would probably not make the NIT. It's bizarre to me that someone would hate on a team that far exceeded his expectations.

I get that we re-set expectations after the season is going and we see how a team fits together & what it is capable of. But I really do think the fans have been way too hard on this bunch instead of enjoying a ride that's been much more successful than just about anyone thought it would be.

Count me in as being a skeptic about making the NCAA. The drubbing at UDub in combination with a multitude of 2H collapses and near collapses has made a statement that the team is not ready for a top 25 ranking.

Sweeping the Arizona schools in Bouder to punch the dance card exceeded my skeptical NIT expectation.

I'm absolutely enjoying the ride knowing that the team really does have 40 minutes in them. That UofA was so much fun and I want more! No bad things to say. I just want to enjoy the ride and get the taste of the devistatinf NCAA Pitt loss out of my mouth.

I was definitely cynical before the season started, but the apathy we saw in the program last season was turned on its head this year. There was room for criticism sure, but it was just the armchair QB type stuff. Boyle and staff coached their asses off and put together a very good season.

Was disappointed Saturday like everyone else - my head scratcher was the last set of FTs, why wasn't the last shot rocketed off as a rebound kick out three try instead of trying to make the shot? I know there wasn't a TO left to discuss it, but that seemed like an obvious play instead of giving them the ball back trailing by 2 with 2.3 left. Basketball insiders please educate - was there something I was missing there?

Was disappointed Saturday like everyone else - my head scratcher was the last set of FTs, why wasn't the last shot rocketed off as a rebound kick out three try instead of trying to make the shot? I know there wasn't a TO left to discuss it, but that seemed like an obvious play instead of giving them the ball back trailing by 2 with 2.3 left. Basketball insiders please educate - was there something I was missing there?
As soon as it hits the rim the clock starts. Probably wouldn't have had time to get off a shot. As it was you had a stopped clock and an opportunity for a turnover, 5 sec violation, steal the inbound etc. Odds are more in favor of that scenario happening vs the scenario of hitting the rim hard enough that it bounces directly to an open shooter who can then grab it and launch within 2.3sec of it hitting the rim.

Does anyone else see this thread title and wonder why someone is mad at cuatthegame?

As soon as it hits the rim the clock starts. Probably wouldn't have had time to get off a shot. As it was you had a stopped clock and an opportunity for a turnover, 5 sec violation, steal the inbound etc. Odds are more in favor of that scenario happening vs the scenario of hitting the rim hard enough that it bounces directly to an open shooter who can then grab it and launch within 2.3sec of it hitting the rim.

I think you have to make the free throw in that instance, I agree with your conclusion. But I don't think the bolded this is accurate. Quite certain clock starts when the ball is touched.

I think you have to make the free throw in that instance, I agree with your conclusion. But I don't think the bolded this is accurate. Quite certain clock starts when the ball is touched.
You are probably right, Either way the point stands.

I am guilty here. I did not foresee King's emergence and do not have enough faith in Tad's recruiting to think this team would surpass 20 wins. I do however, reserve the right to call out the obvious (i.e. 5 total collapse games that ended with losses when CU had double digit leads). There is a pattern of poor coaching philosophy with leads. Hopefully Tad can bring in another Big over the next 12 months to offset the loss of Gordon. Next season will be interesting, particularly if XJ returns along with King, White, Gordon and the 2 frosh guards. I must admit, Tad does get a lot out of the players he does have. No top 50 players (minus Scott), yet he is able to put together 20 win seasons. The next step would be to add one or two top 50 players.

Last edited:
I am guilty here. I did not have foresee King's emergence and do not have enough faith in Tad's recruiting to think this team would surpass 20 wins. I do however, reserve the right to call out the obvious (i.e. 5 total collapse games that ended with losses when CU had double digit leads). There is a pattern of poor coaching philosophy with leads and the recruiting failures are still impacting this team. Fortunately, transfers have helped out in the interim (Fortune and White next season). Hopefully Tad can bring in another Big over the next 12 months to offset the loss of Gordon. Next season will be interesting, particularly if XJ returns along with King, White, Gordon and the 2 frosh guards. I must admit, Tad does get a lot out of the players he does have. No top 50 players (minus Scott), yet he is able to put together 20 win seasons. The next step would be to add one or two top 50 players.

Back