What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: … Be It Resolved …

RSSBot

News Junkie

… Be It Resolved …

I’ve never been one to make New Year’s Resolutions.

Nothing against those of you who do.

If you are one of those who have resolved, in the upcoming months and years, to lose weight, get a better job, and/or be nicer to strangers … you have my blessing.

My only complaint about New Year’s Resolutions is about the timing. If you want to exercise more, is it really more motivating to do so when it comes time to write a new date on your checks? What about changing your lifestyle on the Chinese New Year? Or Groundhog Day, for that matter?

Anyway, despite my reservations about resolutions, I am going to strive in 2016 to enjoy Colorado victories more and despair less over losses.

And CU athletic director Rick George has given us a great leg up on how to be more positive about how our Buffs are faring.

In his year-end email update to the Buff Nation, you find this line: “Our all sports record against Division I competition this year currently stands at 303-81-4, a 78.6 winning percentage”.

Damn. We’re good.

Certainly much better than I thought we were.

But, wait a second …

The football team went 4-9 this fall (.307 winning percentage).

The men’s basketball team went 16-18 (.470).

The women’s basketball team went 15-17 (.468).

The women’s soccer team went 7-10-3 (.425).

The women’s volleyball team went 19-13 (.593) … and fired its coach.

So where did this 78.6% winning percentage come from?

Well, it was thanks to the CU cross-country teams, with both the men’s and women’s teams finishing second nationally. Excellent results, to be sure (though the second-place finish for the men’s team was a disappointment, what with the two-time defending national champions being ranked No. 1 all season before losing for the first time all season in the NCAA finals), but how did the team rack up all of those “victories” when the teams competed in only six meets?

Simple. By CU’s reckoning, there were 31 teams at nationals, and the Buffs finished second in both competitions. Ergo, both the men’s and women’s teams went 29-1 against the competition at the NCAA championships.

Add up all the teams from all six meets, and the cross-country teams went 199-3 against the nation this fall, a nifty 98.5 winning percentage.

Nothing like going 199-3 in one sport to offset failed expectations in others.

Still, I’m going to need more to help me keep my resolution to be optimistic in 2016 than taking down Tulsa and Temple in the NCAA cross-country finals.

Unfortunately, I’m swimming upstream against human nature.

There is a term in psychology known as “loss aversion”. Simply put, the desire to avoid losses is wired more strongly into our brains than the desire to achieve gains.

This works against us in investments in our retirement accounts. It works against us in relationships … And it works against us when cheering for the University of Colorado. We, as sports fans, tend to dwell more on losses than celebrate victories.

This happened to me with recent bowl game results. I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that I was upset more by Utah’s win over BYU in its bowl game than I reveled in Colorado State’s loss to Nevada in its post-season contest.

The Buffs went 4-9 this past season. With “loss aversion” working against us, it felt more like two wins and 18 losses. Multiply this lopsided negativity times ten years of losing seasons … and it’s a wonder we are all still here, cheering for our Buffs.

But I am going to try and make the best of it.

For starters, lets talk about some of CU’s victories this past season.

How great was it for the Buffs to take down Colorado State, 27-24, in overtime?

The Buffs spotted the Rams a 14-0 lead, but then came charging back with a resiliency which characterized the team for much of the 2015 campaign. Remember Kenneth Olugbode’s 60-yard interception return for a touchdown? Tedric Thompson’s block of CSU’s field goal attempt in overtime? The 32-yard game winner by Kenneth Olugbode?

And how nice was it for the Buffs to end the conference road losing streak with a 17-13 win over Oregon State?

With the win, the program ended school-record conference losing streaks, both overall (14) and on the road (13). The win was especially nice for me, as I was at the game in Corvallis. I went to the game with my son-in-law (an Oregon grad), and spent the night at his parents house in Corvallis (Oregon State fans by default). For a change, Colorado was the team which won. For a change, I didn’t have to put up with the barbs about how poor my team fared … or, even worse, the thinly veiled sympathy after enduring yet another defeat.

There was even some fond memories to be found in the mismatches against UMass and Nicholls. My memory of the 48-0 win over Nicholls will not be of the touchdowns scored, but of enjoying the final few minutes of the game, played out before several thousand fans in Folsom. The only question in the final few series was whether the Colonels could avoid a shutout, with a pair of turnovers by the Buff defense in the fourth quarter preserving the goose-egg.

I remember Brad inquiring whether we – like most of the crowd that sunny September afternoon – should leave early, with the game well in hand. My response: “I never left when the Buffs were down by 40. I’m sure as hell not going to leave when they are up by 40″. I was there for the final gun, the team singing the fight song before (a pathetically small remaining) student section, and the singing of the alma mater.

Good times.

There have been some good times in the past (and if you need a little more encouragement this New Year’s, the CU at the Game Archives are there for your perusal).

We are heading into another long off-season. We have already endured the first of the nine months we must wait for the Buffs to take the field again. In the meantime, we must strive to be optimistic about the future, and try not to dwell on the negative.

That’s my resolution for 2016 … to try and enjoy the positives more, move past the negatives more quickly.

I’m even going to try and be more positive about what some – okay, perhaps only I – perceive as a negative for the Buffs, that being victories and success for fellow Pac-12 teams. We don’t have the chip-on-our-shoulder, us-against-the-world mentality of the SEC and its fans, but most Pac-12 fans will still cheer for other Pac-12 teams when taking on the rest of the nation.

My first challenge will be rooting for Oregon against TCU in the Alamo Bowl on Saturday. Stanford against Iowa in the Rose Bowl and Arizona State against West Virginia in the Cactus Bowl do not present the same mental hurdle as cheering for the (hated) Ducks.

In the alternative, I could just take in the new Star Wars movie Saturday afternoon, and avoid the Alamo Bowl game altogether …

Now that’s what I call loss aversion.

——

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back