What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU beat every team they were a favorite against this year.

understand. My point is teams and parents showing up with their pink Wal-Mart t shirt? That money is going everywhere but to the foundation. So what if you wear pink. The money needs to follow and go towards the cause. Reckon oregon bought and donated to the foundation? or where they just wear'n pink? Who knows? but if all these teams that are wearing pink are actually donating $ - there is a lot of money going to that foundation. And if you notice the posting in the Pub, then it is a GREAT cause.

Oregon is selling their gear and donating the proceeds to the boob cancer thing.

understand. My point is teams and parents showing up with their pink Wal-Mart t shirt? That money is going everywhere but to the foundation. So what if you wear pink. The money needs to follow and go towards the cause. Reckon oregon bought and donated to the foundation? or where they just wear'n pink? Who knows? but if all these teams that are wearing pink are actually donating $ - there is a lot of money going to that foundation. And if you notice the posting in the Pub, then it is a GREAT cause.

Its as much about awareness as $$$. If wearing pink helps encourage someone to diagnose cancer earlier, seek help, and go into treatment, then lives may be saved. Keeping families out of crisis through proactive prevention is a good thing.

Its as much about awareness as $$$. If wearing pink helps encourage someone to diagnose cancer earlier, seek help, and go into treatment, then lives may be saved. Keeping families out of crisis through proactive prevention is a good thing.

Until it becomes over saturated and becomes white noise.

Until it becomes over saturated and becomes white noise.

"White noise" used to be a campaign to raise melanoma awareness. But after away teams began to wear white uniforms to support the cause, it simply devlolved into a common term, frequently seen on chat sites.

"White noise" used to be a campaign to raise melanoma awareness. But after away teams began to wear white uniforms to support the cause, it simply devlolved into a common term, frequently seen on chat sites.

I blame Penn State or maybe the original Winnipeg Jets.

It is unfortunate, but the Vegas guys look at match ups and we don't with other Pac teams.

I track all FBS schools for entertainment purposes, and believe it or not, if the Cal game were to be played this weekend, we'd be about a 6-8 point favorite in my best estimate. However, that could be lowered a bit due to the current perception of CU football, but even so, we'd be a favorite. There's still plenty of football to be played until we face Cal, so it's anyone's guess what the line will be the week of the game.

You may be right.

I track all FBS schools for entertainment purposes, and believe it or not, if the Cal game were to be played this weekend, we'd be about a 6-8 point favorite in my best estimate. However, that could be lowered a bit due to the current perception of CU football, but even so, we'd be a favorite. There's still plenty of football to be played until we face Cal, so it's anyone's guess what the line will be the week of the game.

Between working, coaching, family, too much time here and watching the Buffs replays when I get home on Saturday night, I don't follow other teams closely. ESPN highlights is about it. Just looked at the Sagrin ratings and Cal is 111. They have been bad.

How a team with that kind of talent and a new stadium can put out that kind of performance is a mystery. Their fans must be acting like us!

Thanks for making me dig deeper!

Am I the only one that thinks this pink business is way out of hand?

I was in Safeway last month and the clerk asked if I would like to donate a dollar to breast cancer awareness. I replied "no thanks, I am very aware of breast cancer." Truly Superior called me an ass. She should have known that way prior to last month.

I'll tell you something. I had cancer for 4 years. There literally hundreds of cancers, and they all suck. It pisses me off to no end that one particular cancer gets this much attention and this much money thrown at it, especially when you consider how much of the money raised by this **** goes to more bureaucracy and marketing gimmicks.

Obviously there are a lot of people that have had their lives touched by breast cancer and I'm glad for them that there is so much support out there for them. But there are millions of people dealing with other cancers out there too. The breast cancer marketing and PR machine takes such a big piece of the charity and fundraising pie that everyone else could be benefiting from. I never donate to one particular cancer cause anymore - except occasionally metastatic melanoma, which is what I had - because there's too many people that don't benefit when you're only giving to one specific group.

Of course, the cynic in me says that since most men watch football anyway, doing something on prostate cancer won't ever be a big priority, while having pink all over the stadium might just attract a few more women to the sport/tv/stadium.

Once again the marketers get a hold of these things and turn them into something else.

I don't know this for sure but I think women are more likely to get a breast exam than a man is likely to get a finger in the butt. My dad and my uncle both had prostate cancer and my uncle would have survived if they caught it earlier. I think prostate cancer at this point need more "awareness."

Once again the marketers get a hold of these things and turn them into something else.

I don't know this for sure but I think women are more likely to get a breast exam than a man is likely to get a finger in the butt. My dad and my uncle both had prostate cancer and my uncle would have survived if they caught it earlier. I think prostate cancer at this point need more "awareness."

But it doesn't help grow their fanbase, so it gets ignored...

I'll tell you something. I had cancer for 4 years. There literally hundreds of cancers, and they all suck. It pisses me off to no end that one particular cancer gets this much attention and this much money thrown at it, especially when you consider how much of the money raised by this **** goes to more bureaucracy and marketing gimmicks.

Obviously there are a lot of people that have had their lives touched by breast cancer and I'm glad for them that there is so much support out there for them. But there are millions of people dealing with other cancers out there too. The breast cancer marketing and PR machine takes such a big piece of the charity and fundraising pie that everyone else could be benefiting from. I never donate to one particular cancer cause anymore - except occasionally metastatic melanoma, which is what I had - because there's too many people that don't benefit when you're only giving to one specific group.

Of course, the cynic in me says that since most men watch football anyway, doing something on prostate cancer won't ever be a big priority, while having pink all over the stadium might just attract a few more women to the sport/tv/stadium.

We used to donate to breast cancer causes and run the Komen stuff until I read they sued some other breast cancer charity for using for the cure. I quit support them at that point. That was money that could have been used to detect or treat cancer and they spent it fighting each other. The CEO makes almost $700k a year.

I think at this point I am more about giving directly to research labs instead of some huge marketing machine.

...and I give the legendary Bill Hicks....[video=youtube;gDW_Hj2K0wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo[/video]

Agreed - cancer sucks - no matter which kind. I do find it extremely odd that there is this much focus on one particular kind of cancer when it's actually heart disease that is the #1 killer of women.

Agreed - cancer sucks - no matter which kind. I do find it extremely odd that there is this much focus on one particular kind of cancer when it's actually heart disease that is the #1 killer of women.

Do you think McDonalds and Papa Johns would appreciate the NFL doing a heart disease awareness month?

Guys like tits more than good hearts. Fact.

ngbbs51e03bf230083.jpg

His name was Robert Poulson.

i will never forget that line. I had an Econ professor named Robert Poulson.

We have individuals impacted by breast cancer all around us, I have a friend who's wife is on he 4th round of fighting it. She lost two sister's to it, so in one way the idea that there can't be to much awareness of it.

On the other hand it seems as if it has goon way over the edge in terms of the level of promotion. It has become in most cases much more about "look at us, we are pink and supporting women." instead of being about the cancer and the victims. I wonder how much money from each purchase actually goes to cancer awareness and reasearch. I get a sense that people who go out and spend bunches of money on pink products would actually contribute more by sending in $5.00 directly and skipping all the pink stuff.

I also, as much as I feel for the victims of breast cancer, also feel for the victims of so many other diseases. The amount of money going into research in many cases has no relation to the number of actual victims.

Table 1.jpgchart 2.jpgchart 3.jpg

The spending on diseases in much more related to the public influence of it's constituency than to it's actual impact on patients.

We have individuals impacted by breast cancer all around us, I have a friend who's wife is on he 4th round of fighting it. She lost two sister's to it, so in one way the idea that there can't be to much awareness of it.

On the other hand it seems as if it has goon way over the edge in terms of the level of promotion. It has become in most cases much more about "look at us, we are pink and supporting women." instead of being about the cancer and the victims. I wonder how much money from each purchase actually goes to cancer awareness and reasearch. I get a sense that people who go out and spend bunches of money on pink products would actually contribute more by sending in $5.00 directly and skipping all the pink stuff.

I also, as much as I feel for the victims of breast cancer, also feel for the victims of so many other diseases. The amount of money going into research in many cases has no relation to the number of actual victims.

View attachment 12852View attachment 12853View attachment 12854

The spending on diseases in much more related to the public influence of it's constituency than to it's actual impact on patients.

I feel as though these charts would have made more of a point if they didn't use pink.

Guys like tits more than good hearts. Fact.
Maybe what we need are prostate cancer bumper stickers. "Save the Assholes", or "I Love Assholes" could work, although I don't see me breaking my personal ban on bumper stickers to sport them, especially not the latter.

I feel as though these charts would have made more of a point if they didn't use pink.

For some reason I really hate HIV/Aids after seeing those charts. I want to punch aids in the face.

Back