What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs coach Mike MacIntyre's first recruiting class could surprise

Embree didn't have a choice in red shirting players. He needed to play as many guys as he could... And the enexperience showed... Along with below avg coaching

He had some choices and he chose to go with "his" players in pretty much every case. He inherited a mess with a roster that lacked class balance. He left MacIntyre with the same problem.

He signed ten DBs in 2011/2012 (including Kyle Washington and K.T. Tuumalo since they played at safety some) and exactly one redshirted. Over two seasons.

He signed seven OL in 2011/2012, delaying the enrollment of Gerrad Kough until this January. So he had six on campus and three played as true freshmen before one quit football.

That's how you end up constantly chasing numbers.

I would be inclined to think so. This class really looks like a depth builder to me. You take alot of these Ath type guys and RS them and plug them in where they fit best for 2 years from now.

Then I think how has this recruiting class made the team on the field better for next year. I'm not sure it will have any impact at all accept for Sefo.

So we all agree that coach will do better of winning the games he should. But most of us agree that the current recruiting class has done nothing to improve the overall outlook of the program for talent to compete down the road. If his recruiting capability continues to be 2 star Athletes I really think you will see us be a 6 and 6 program year in and year out.

That isn't what I envisioned with the hire.
Is this a serious post or are you just trying to get a rise out of folks?

He had some choices and he chose to go with "his" players in pretty much every case. He inherited a mess with a roster that lacked class balance. He left MacIntyre with the same problem.

He signed ten DBs in 2011/2012 (including Kyle Washington and K.T. Tuumalo since they played at safety some) and exactly one redshirted. Over two seasons.

He signed seven OL in 2011/2012, delaying the enrollment of Gerrad Kough until this January. So he had six on campus and three played as true freshmen before one quit football.

Or burning Irwin's RS for some garbage playing time against FS I believe

The more you look at Embree's time the more you see a guy who had no coherent plan. He very quickly went into scramble mode resulting in a lot of costly decisions.

I do agree that M2 is inheriting a more talented team than Embree found but also a team with some huge talent holes and terrible roster balance. Any improvement we see in record over the next year or two will almost certainly be atributable to preparation and coaching, not talent upgrade since for the most part the guys we are bringing in aren't likely to be significant contributors for at least a couple of years.

CU football is like a bumpy ride. Last year class was really good, this year is a return to Hawkins like recruiting.

Is this a serious post or are you just trying to get a rise out of folks?

I clearly disagree with all of his 2 star reaches. I have said that I will judge his ability to recruit in full next year. I'm not sold at all on the guys he has brought in to round out the class.

I think he was a very good hire as a coach. I think our "D" is going to be way better than most expect next year. I also think that this recruiting class along with the class from 2011 is going to make it very tough for him to have a winning record after year 3.

I do agree with the masses that CU is at a point where we pretty much have to wait until we have a roster full of JR's/SR's before we are going to compete in the Pac 12.

Also agree that Embree has at least improved the program for MM to take over.

He had to sign that many db's... You remember having to play wr and RB on defense his 1st year? Hopefully MM can balance the numbers in the next 2 classes.

I clearly disagree with all of his 2 star reaches. I have said that I will judge his ability to recruit in full next year. I'm not sold at all on the guys he has brought in to round out the class.

I think he was a very good hire as a coach. I think our "D" is going to be way better than most expect next year. I also think that this recruiting class along with the class from 2011 is going to make it very tough for him to have a winning record after year 3.

I do agree with the masses that CU is at a point where we pretty much have to wait until we have a roster full of JR's/SR's before we are going to compete in the Pac 12.

Also agree that Embree has at least improved the program for MM to take over.

And heres Embree's 2011 2* in comparison:

Clark
Harlos
Hall
Goodson
Washington
Oliver
McCulloch
Henderson
Vincent

If MM has the same level (or lack) of contribution from his 2013 2* players as Embree did in 2011, then I'll agree.

I have never been on board with Embree's recruiting either. He and EB did a very poor job especially in state.

How does a team like Boise State continue to perform so well? From 2008 - 2012 they are 61-5. Granted, their conference schedule is not BCS level. But they didn't earn that record against only their conference foes. Boise State has beaten UW (Pac-12), Arizona State (Pac-12), Georgia (SEC), Virginia Tech (ACC), Oregon State (Pac-12), Utah (Pac-12), Oregon x2 (Pac-12), and TCU (Big 12) in the past 5 years (2008-2012). This from a team that currently has the #59 class for 2013; and had the #54 class in 2012, #53 class in 2011, #82 class in 2010, #72 class in 2009, #89 class in 2008, #68 class in 2007, #70 class in 2006, #64 class in 2005, and #99 class in 2004.

There you go bringinmg postitive examples into the discussion. Don't you know, as has been eloquently explained, a players stars pre-determines is college career. Geesh.

It is what it is. Cu is dead to the football world.It's up to the new staff to get the most out of what we have and WIN. Not going to happen this year but it better be sooner than later.

The more you look at Embree's time the more you see a guy who had no coherent plan. He very quickly went into scramble mode resulting in a lot of costly decisions.

I do agree that M2 is inheriting a more talented team than Embree found but also a team with some huge talent holes and terrible roster balance. Any improvement we see in record over the next year or two will almost certainly be atributable to preparation and coaching, not talent upgrade since for the most part the guys we are bringing in aren't likely to be significant contributors for at least a couple of years.

Not only that, but Embree's plan of lights out recruiting went bust because the staff couldn't sell recruits on a legit HC. A good recruiter can sell a star player on a legit HC. A great recruiter can sell a star player on a suspect HC. We didn't have great recruiters under Embree.

That MM actually has a plan for recruiting leads me to believe he'll have a coherent plan for the field too, something we haven't had since 2005. Selling MM in 1-2 years should be far easier than anything we've seen with Embree at the helm.

There you go bringinmg postitive examples into the discussion. Don't you know, as has been eloquently explained, a players stars pre-determines is college career. Geesh.

Yeah let's compare a team who plays in the WAC to a BCS team and totally forget star ratings! I'm sure you would be saying the stars don't matter if we had UCLA's, UW, etc. class as well.

Yeah let's compare a team who plays in the WAC to a BCS team and totally forget star ratings! I'm sure you would be saying the stars don't matter if we had UCLA's, UW, etc. class as well.

I have never once said stars do not matter. They are a gauge, but do not tell the whole story. I will always want better rated players, BUT at the same time, any player can turn out to be better or worse than thier star ranking when compared to those around him.....thier future is not pre-determined by where they fall in the rankings and you ahev to hope that a new coach can find the guys he likes, regardless of stars, get the most out of them and then continually try to recuit better players.

the big credit that i'll give embree is that he left macintyre in much better shape long term than what he was given. There is a lot of young talent and experience on the roster which will allow macintyre to redshirt more, as well as more time to develop his system with the current players.

this

It is what it is. Cu is dead to the football world.It's up to the new staff to get the most out of what we have and WIN. Not going to happen this year but it better be sooner than later.

For 2 million a year, it better be sooner than later.

Back