What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

bsn CU Buffs Eddy Lopez ‘excited for this opportunity’

RSSBot

News Junkie
Sophomore Defensive Tackle Eddy Lopez is becoming a favorite among Buffs fans off the field. His role in BSN’s Buffs impersonating Buffs video as well as his cameo in this video released by CUBuffs.com have fan’s asking, “Who knew Eddy Lopez was such a character?” Eddy’s off the field role will only be topped in importance by his on the field one in 2015. With Josh Tupou absent, Lopez figures to be a key factor to the Buffaloes defensive line succeeding.

Yesterday Neill Woelk wrote on CUBuffs.com that the Buffs will use both a 3-4 and a 4-3 on defense, as well as some 4-2. With that many down lineman it’s a given Lopez will see a lot, if not a significant amount of playing time. Lopez told BSN about the system the Buffs will be running.

“This new system, the 3-4, we have three packages mainly and they’re all solid,” he said. “We also do some 4-3. A little bit of each especially in the sub packages. There’s a bit more plays than last year, but they’re simple and effective.”

Of course Lopez and his peers on defense are running their new system under new defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt. A big talking point surrounding the 2015 Buffaloes is what will Leavitt’s impact be? Certainly every person in the program we’ve heard from has had nothing but great things to say about Leavitt, and Lopez followed that sentiment.

“[Leavitt’s] great, a lot of energy from that guy. He just knows what to expect, he knows what this team has to do in order to be successful in the Pac-12, and I couldn’t have asked for a better coach,” he explained. “He’s energetic, enthusiastic, and he knows how to talk to the players. He really knows how to communicate to us and he shows his love to us. At the end of the day it’s all about the relationship, how comfortable you feel with your coach.”

The defensive lineman knew he was going to be counted on more this year than last whether or not Josh Tupou was in uniform. This offseason Lopez began to transform his body, losing fat and gaining muscle.

“He’s reshaped his body a bit. He’s always been athletic, but he had some baby fat last year,” explained head coach Mike MacIntyre. “He reshaped that and he looks good, that’s helping his movement and his strength.”

The sophomore said he achieved that transformation by watching what he ate, running, and being focused on his goal.

Last season he saw 123 snaps in 11 games. He knows that experience was invaluable and just by watching him at camp, one can see he already feels much more comfortable.

“I’m definitely more prepared than last year” said the nose tackle. “This is my second fall camp, I know what I’m expecting, and I know what the coaches are expecting. The tempo is much higher, and there is much more energy.”

Lopez’s personal goal is “to be the best player I can be this season,” as for the team.

“Be more prepared,” he said. “We got the physical and the energy down, now it’s just taking away mental mistakes, knowing our goals and we’re really preparing ourselves for what the season is going to bring to us.”

Coach MacIntyre has noticed the good play the sophomore has displayed at camp.

“Eddy Lopez has had some really good days, he did some good things in the scrimmage,” noted the coach.

A player never likes to see a teammate dismissed from the squad, but Lopez has had to move past that and take advantage of the added responsibility.

“I’m excited for this opportunity, it’s really a shame Josh (Tupou) had to be let go, that’s going to be some big shoes to fill, but we’re prepared,” Lopez told. “Justin (Solis) is more than capable of doing the job, and I’m more than happy to be backing him up, and seeing playing time on the field. I’ll be seeing more playing time than last year, which is going to be a good opportunity for me to show my skills.”

If Eddy Lopez can show the same stupendous timing he displayed in his brief comedic roles on the football field this fall it will be good news for the Buffs. A stonger, more athletic Lopez playing alongside many upperclassmen, under Jim Leavitt’s system all seems to be coming together to form an improved Buffaloes defense.

Continue reading...

Back