1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU Buffs' Mike Bohn's work not yet done

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by RSSBot, Dec 27, 2010.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Kyle Ringo Camera Sports Writer

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn can't remember one year in a 26-year career in college athletics administration that has been as eventful, challenging and rewarding as 2010.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Year-end financial state of the union. Interesting stuff, I think.

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

is he getting his extension or not...

4. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

When we find out if our 3 new coaches are winners

5. Del

Del Member

sounds like we are REALLY broke!

6. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Who were the other coaches fired besides juicebox?

7. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Boyle and Lappe are also in their 1st years.

8. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

Bohn can't continue to offer $10 tickets to fill the stadium.

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Of course he can. And he should. $10 is better than $0. He needs to do everything in his power to put as many people in the stands every game as is humanly possible.

It will help that this year, we have a very attractive home schedule.

10. Del

Del Member

Could really use that 50 million booster money right about now

11. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

It may be a bit of hole to dig out of, but it was the correct decision. Staying in the dying Big 12 would have been a long (maybe even short) term disaster.

Let's get this ship righted and then start upgrading the football facilities. Go Buffs!

12. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

yes I agree.. if you spend $10.00 you might end up spending $4.50 on a soda & $7.00 on a burger which helps CU too

13. Del

Del Member

agree a good long term move but it stinks because any extra revenue we have will be going to pay off the loan. We will probably be paying that damn thing off for the next 5-7 yrs which means no improvements for a long time and we will fall further behind the facility war.

14. CUFan

We will need to recruit some serious donors for facilities improvements. Hopefully including some large donors in the HC search committee will begin the process of raising such funds.

15. sackman

The payout for Hawkins is a non-issue. I'm certain that they are covered there. In fact, I'm pretty certain they're covered across the board.

I think Bohn likes to plead poverty. I don't think the University, and the AD in particular, is as bad off as we're being led to believe.

16. CUFan

I completely agree. They went into this with their eyes wide open. That is why I am more interested in any facilities improvements that may be coming (I hope).

17. absinthe

while they are at it turn 119 into paying seats. $1,000,000 right there.

18. sackman

I think you mean 117. I sit in 119 and I'm pretty sure we pay for those seats.

But yeah, they could, and should, reconfigure the student section. I'd actually suggest taking both 117 and 116 out of the Student section, and moving those student seats to the upper level on the South side. There are four tunnels that access the South side of the Stadium. That could all be student access. It makes it a lot easier.

OTOH, the allbuffs seats are in the second level of the South Endzone, so that could be a bit of an issue for us.

19. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I agree with you here. Mike likes to cry poor a lot but you do not make these types of moves without having many pieces in place needed to ensure success. The $s from the game in Columbus next year help as well but the hit we take having only 5 home games hurts in the short term. Mike better make damn sure we do not get srewed into only 5 home games in the future. Because of the very attractive home schedule next year, he will not have to discount as many seats next year but only having 5 home games sucks.

20. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

117 is the first move. That needs to be a section that's paying premium pricing along with a large donation.

Probably have to do it incrementally for additional moves. But I'd put a 5-year plan in place to reconfigure seating at Folsom. Students should have Sections 109-114 with 109 being the band section. You could also go 203-213. Make the entire South endzone for students.

21. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

:finger2:

22. absinthe

DOH! I meant 117 thanks Sacky.

23. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

One fly in the Ointment is demand for those seats...it is not there yet. I have tickets in one of the $300 donation per seat sections and looked at adding a couple of more...when I talked to the ticket office they had plenty to choose from. Adding another section will increase supply and they have to also build demand. Too many times in the last couple of years I have had people who set in our section paying about one fourth of what I am paying...you can only do that so long.

24. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

The AD is VERY BAD off. When I posted last summer that the Conference move would cost $17 Million - I was told I was an idiot by certain posters. The solution is to borrow money...but you cannot borrow your way to prosperity. CU needs the PAC 10 to come up with a killer TV contract, which could happen if they get the right bidders but Scott is taking a high risk approach to the negotiations of a TV contract and Pac 10 network.

CU is going to borrow the money and is betting on the TV contract.

Bohn's biggest issue is that he has acted in the past like borrowing was free money - it is not.

On the plus side - Benson is taking a bigger interest in the success of the Athletics at CU...If Benson gets involved in fund raising for the AD it would be a big boost. He is well connected in the local business community.

25. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Guys, next year we will be bad off. Maybe 2 months ago, somebody posted the financials for CU in the 2009 fiscal year. We were in the black by not that much. Now you guys are going to tell me that taking a much smaller TV revenue share from the Big 12 and firing a coach means we're going to be ok?

I also think we cannot yet open section 117 to the public. First, we complain about selling $10 tickets, and now you want us to put an entire extra section up for sale? Students should be allowed to sit there because they bring energy and bodies. Hopefully we start winning and generating enthusiasm for CU. Once that starts happening, maybe we can start thinking about it.

I was at WVU and their students were all on the second level. The stadium atmosphere SUCKED! Moving the students too far away from the action could be a mistake.

26. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

they need to fix the bleachers in 117 first. standing on those things after a bunch of captain morgans is tough at 21

27. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I agree. Marginalizing the student fans is not the way to go in my opinion. A brighter idea would be to allow young alums/recent grads to purchase GA tickets for slightly more than student tickets and continue to sit there. I know I couldn't afford season tickets this year, so I went when I could get cheap or free tickets and then sat in the student section. If I could have purchased season tickets for say, 150 or 200 bucks and then sat in the student section I would have done that.

IMO, young alums/recent grads that are slowly weaned off the really cheap tickets but still brought into the stadium are much more likely to stay season ticket holders once they can afford the real prices.

28. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Simple solution: build a glass roof over Folsom and put the student section on top - no other stadium can offer views from directly above the field and the attire of the co-eds during warm weather games would offer some interesting views to the fans in the stadium below. Also, sell booze again.

29. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Do other PAC 12 teams sell beer? I know we were the last ones in the Big 12 to sell beer.

30. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

USC did when i went to a game in 2002