What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs' Mike Bohn's work not yet done

of which not a dime goes to the AD.

Don't all of the students also pay an "athletic fee" that goes to the AD whether they buy tickets or not? While the students may not be the smartest of football fans, I do think marginalizing them and moving them away from the action would lessen the atmosphere in the stadium and would ultimately decrease the home-field advantage.

EDIT: and I'll reemphasize my main point. At a time like this when we are down, it makes sense to energize and connect the students to the AD and to the school. One of our main disadvantages is the fact that our student population is much more national than many other state schools. So, many of our students don't grow up as die hard CU fans like they do at say Wisconsin or Texas or other schools that are much more in-state dominated. Making efforts to connect with the kids while they're students and then doing whatever you can to keep them connected to the AD right after they graduate would pay off in the long run, IMO.

not for most grad students they don't. we had tuition waivers and 16,500$ a year stipend and CU's crap health insurance. only the senior undergrads sit in 117. and, of my ticket group, i'm the only one of 5 of us still in Colorado. rest are in Ohio, Texas, New York, Australia.....so, i think it's much smarter to give those student tix to people (law students, b-schoolers) who are likely to stay in the area, use their advanced degrees, and make some coin and give back.

assholes like me, we don't make crap and are likely to leave the state when any job presents. CU isn't paying competitive salaries, to be honest.

The entire student section is now general admission. No more "senior reserved" section in 117.

of which not a dime goes to the AD.
Explicit cost != implicit costs. Excluding even something like athletic fees, every dollar added to the total budget makes it easier for the university to support athletics. And considering the sheer amount of students who don't purchase tickets that's a ton more extra dollars that the 40 dollar ticket covers.

And regardless of if any money helps or hurts the AD, tuition plus living expenses plus 40 bucks at a students "salary" is a lot of money for 40 dollar tickets that I'm sure not many of us want to pay.

Last edited:
Explicit cost != implicit costs. Excluding even something like athletic fees, every dollar added to the total budget makes it easier for the university to support athletics. And considering the sheer amount of students who don't purchase tickets that's a ton more extra dollars that the 40 dollar ticket covers.

And regardless of if any money helps or hurts the AD, tuition plus living expenses plus 40 bucks at a students "salary" is a lot of money for 40 dollar tickets that I'm sure not many of us want to pay.

Student tickets are also over 100 dollars now. I think I paid 115 last year, don't know what they went up to this year.

Section 104 is where the students belong. Right next to the visitors.

I don't get the rationale that moving the students out of 117 somehow marginalizes them. These are CU students. They're not idots. They have to understand that they're getting premium seating at a huge discount. When I was at CU, I didn't give a damn where I sat, so long as I was in the stadium with my buddies. I have a really hard time believing that moving the students out of 117 is going to cause some kind of massive revolt. Hell, we should probably move them out of 116 while we're at it.

It's time to start making some good business decisions.

I don't get the rationale that moving the students out of 117 somehow marginalizes them. These are CU students. They're not idots. They have to understand that they're getting premium seating at a huge discount. When I was at CU, I didn't give a damn where I sat, so long as I was in the stadium with my buddies. I have a really hard time believing that moving the students out of 117 is going to cause some kind of massive revolt. Hell, we should probably move them out of 116 while we're at it.

exactly. see, that's the great thing about students....in four years, no one remembers sitting in 117. put donor seating down there.

I don't think it will cause a revolt. I do think moving the students all behind the endzone and into the upper deck will hurt the stadium atmosphere and I think it will lessen any efforts to create lifelong fans.

I don't think it will cause a revolt. I do think moving the students all behind the endzone and into the upper deck will hurt the stadium atmosphere and I think it will lessen any efforts to create lifelong fans.

Puh-leeeze. It would do no such thing. Honestly. As it stands, the south end zone student seats never fill up until about halfway through the first quarter. If anything, getting that part of the stadium filled before kickoff would enhance the atmosphere, not detract from it. Lifelong fans are not created by getting really good seats. They're created by providing a solid product and a memorable experience. I have a really, really hard time with the notion that a CU student who has been going to games for three years is all of the sudden going to stop going because he can't sit on the 45 yard line.

If anything, putting students in 117 creates a false sense of entitlement. If they get out of school and see that the only tickets they can afford are in the South Endzone, they're less likely to buy them. If, however, they have been sitting in the South Endzone all along, the tickets they can buy will seem like an upgrade or at least a lateral move.

i don't think the "stadium atmosphere" is dependent on the students. they come late and leave at halftime. not like it used to be.

most of the students are checking their iphones and girlie girls talking to each other. CU football is a kind of a social event that lasts about an hour until you leave, near as i can tell. not like a hangover chaser run to Baseline Liquors for more....as it once was.

Puh-leeeze. It would do no such thing. Honestly. As it stands, the south end zone student seats never fill up until about halfway through the first quarter. If anything, getting that part of the stadium filled before kickoff would enhance the atmosphere, not detract from it. Lifelong fans are not created by getting really good seats. They're created by providing a solid product and a memorable experience. I have a really, really hard time with the notion that a CU student who has been going to games for three years is all of the sudden going to stop going because he can't sit on the 45 yard line.

If anything, putting students in 117 creates a false sense of entitlement. If they get out of school and see that the only tickets they can afford are in the South Endzone, they're less likely to buy them. If, however, they have been sitting in the South Endzone all along, the tickets they can buy will seem like an upgrade or at least a lateral move.

It will detract from the atmosphere during the games. Remember when nebraska moved their student section up into a corner of the stadium and we all said how lame it was? Well, it was lame then and it's lame now. College football games are great because of the atmosphere in the stadium. The students are crazy and fun and drunk and loud and obnoxious and moronic. They should be front and center. The lame ass "don't stand up or yell around my kid" crowd has the other 3/4 of the stadium. There's no need to move the students.

You're taking two points and conflating them. As to my first point, the atmosphere in the stadium: the students are the loudest and most excited section of the stadium. They stand the entire game, they yell and cheer the whole game, they sing all the songs and do all the chants, etc. That's definitely not true for 90 percent of the rest of the stadium. I think it's great that the students are right behind the team and I think it adds to the atmosphere and college feel of the game.

While it's true that the students don't arrive as early as I'd like, as you mention a lot of that is there hasn't been a solid product for the students to get excited about in quite a few years. Early season games do fill up earlier, and I suspect if CU was competitive again the students would start showing up on time again.

Bottom line, if the students are stuck up in 207 & 208 while rich folks who want to sit on their ass and listen to the game on their radio headphones take over the seats behind the team, I really think you lose a lot. I think the stadium will feel quieter and more sterile and will begin to feel more like a game at Invesco than a game at Folsom.

As to my second point, lifelong fans:

This statement is absolutely false IMO. What you're proposing is to take away the currently cheap seats and put the students there so you can sell the old student seats for premium prices. If anything, this makes it even less likely that young alums will buy season tickets because you've now eliminated the only seats that were even potentially affordable.

My point is that they need to focus their energy on making lifelong fans while the kids are students and then finding ways to keep them fans and in the stadium during those early lean years after graduation. Yes, having a great product goes a long way, but also making the students feel like they are a very important part of the team and the community while they're in school and then keeping them connected and invested after they leave is equally important, IMO.

Don't all of the students also pay an "athletic fee" that goes to the AD whether they buy tickets or not? While the students may not be the smartest of football fans, I do think marginalizing them and moving them away from the action would lessen the atmosphere in the stadium and would ultimately decrease the home-field advantage.

EDIT: and I'll reemphasize my main point. At a time like this when we are down, it makes sense to energize and connect the students to the AD and to the school. One of our main disadvantages is the fact that our student population is much more national than many other state schools. So, many of our students don't grow up as die hard CU fans like they do at say Wisconsin or Texas or other schools that are much more in-state dominated. Making efforts to connect with the kids while they're students and then doing whatever you can to keep them connected to the AD right after they graduate would pay off in the long run, IMO.

And providing lower deck seats that runs from across the end zone through the 35 yard line doesn't do this? The seats must go from most of the end zone through the 50 yard line in order for the students to connect with the team?

I call bull****.

Also, moving the student section from premium seating to behind the basket has worked great for basketball.

I'm not sure what "conflating" means, but what the heck.

It's truly absurd to say that moving students, who don't show up on time anyway, out of a premium seating section will somehow deflate from the atmosphere in the stadium. How will the atmosphere be any different if the South End Zone is packed with students?

The people opposing this move seem to be coming up with straw man arguments ("atmosphere"? Really?) to keep in place a system whereby they themselves can buy single game tickets, sneak into the student section (117), and get great seats at discount prices.

I was a student at CU. I can tell you that it didn't make one damn bit of difference where I sat, so long as I had a seat with my buddies. I suspect that's the case with about 95% of the students who go to the games. The other 5% will live with it. This is a ridiculous argument.

My point is that they need to focus their energy on making lifelong fans while the kids are students and then finding ways to keep them fans and in the stadium during those early lean years after graduation. Yes, having a great product goes a long way, but also making the students feel like they are a very important part of the team and the community while they're in school and then keeping them connected and invested after they leave is equally important, IMO.

If I understand your point correctly, you're equating the physical location of where the student sits with his/her loyalty to the University once he/she graduates. Discounting friends, acquainances, classroom experiences, campus & city recreation opportunities, the game-day experience (sans seats on the 45 yard line - GASP!), and all the other things that go with getting a college education at CU.

Counselor, please. Really?

Also, moving the student section from premium seating to behind the basket has worked great for basketball.

I think we take back 117 that lifts revenue 1.30 million per season at current prices, maybe even bumps consessions a little. The do something with 116/115 where is some sort of student young alumni combo seating (perhaps with similar pricing but require buff club for alumni), and then round the bowl out with students moving the band to the seats that typically fill last in the student section.

I think we take back 117 that lifts revenue 1.30 million per season at current prices, maybe even bumps consessions a little. The do something with 116/115 where is some sort of student young alumni combo seating, and then round the bowl out with students moving the band to the seats that typically fill last in the student section.

Love this idea. With the caveat that it comes with an increased price for those seats. But I've said for a long time that CU needs to do something to ease recent graduates into full fledged season ticket holder status.

Love this idea. With the caveat that it comes with an increased price for those seats. But I've said for a long time that CU needs to do something to ease recent graduates into full fledged season ticket holder status.

Made a small update, I think it is simple, make the alumni join the Buff Club for $100. Now they are on the donnor roster and you have them giving early, and hopefully often.

I both vaguely and fondly remember sitting in sections 114 and 115 when I was a student. Lots of cup wars going on in that corner of the endzone at half time.

At the Iowa State game this year, section 117 was not filled up, but those who were there were standing on the bleatures, obstructing the sighlines to the south endzone for those of us with tickets in 118.

I'd have zero problem with moving the student reserved seating back to where it was during the glory years.

Made a small update, I think it is simple, make the alumni join the Buff Club for $100. Now they are on the donnor roster and you have them giving early, and hopefully often.

Love the idea. I hope the AD spies that are perusing this thread take it and run with it.

I think we take back 117 that lifts revenue 1.30 million per season at current prices, maybe even bumps consessions a little. The do something with 116/115 where is some sort of student young alumni combo seating (perhaps with similar pricing but require buff club for alumni), and then round the bowl out with students moving the band to the seats that typically fill last in the student section.

Logistics FAIL. The band needs to stay where it is. You can't move it back because it needs to leave the stands at various times and 109's proximity to both the southwest stairs and the gates to the COLORADO ramp are important. Also, for the safety of the students and their instruments, there needs to be some degree of buffer between the students and the band. You just can't surround the band with students. It would be a nightmare.

I definitely think that moving the students out of 117 is a good idea. But they may not be able to sell all those seats at the top donation level. But in the interim they could charge less for the seats towards the 35 yard lines. Students being around the South Bowl should not have a major impact. Remember we are only talking about one section with is ~1800 seats (about 15% of the student tickets)....Most of the student seats will remain in the same location.

Logistics FAIL. The band needs to stay where it is. You can't move it back because it needs to leave the stands at various times and 109's proximity to both the southwest stairs and the gates to the COLORADO ramp are important. Also, for the safety of the students and their instruments, there needs to be some degree of buffer between the students and the band. You just can't surround the band with students. It would be a nightmare.

Marshmallow in the tuba!

I sense that you're not being literal.

I think he is. That's one of the reasons the tubas started having to use bell covers. More than a few marshmallows ended up in tubas when they were still allowed in Folsom. There are many stories handed down through the ages of things that have been found in tubas after gameday.

I saw a video of this once, then the girl clenched up. Not pretty.

:lol::lol:Yeah, those ****ers really expand if they get wet.

You probably shoulda tossed a marshmallow or two in that old lady that took you home--probably wouldn't have been an issue.

Back