What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU coach Bzdelik interviews for T-wolves job

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
CU coach Bzdelik interviews for T-wolves job
By Chris Tomasson

LAS VEGAS — University of Colorado basketball coach Jeff Bzdelik is being looked at again by the NBA.

Bzdelik confirmed to the Rocky Mountain Independent on Thursday afternoon that he has interviewed with the Minnesota Timberwolves about their open head-coaching position. A source close to the situation earlier had told the RMI that Bzdelik interviewed this week with Timberwolves general manager David Kahn at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

“While I was out in Las Vegas, there was conversation with Minnesota,’’ said Bzdelik, who was in Las Vegas from Monday through Wednesday. “Any further conversation would require permission from the University of Colorado.’’

Bzdelik called it an “unexpected’’ conversation with the Timberwolves. He said he primarily went to the summer league to see former Buffaloes star Richard Roby playing for Oklahoma City.

More...

Is the writer trying to make a something out of nothing here? Or did Jeff actually expect the TWolves to contact him?

“While I was out in Las Vegas, there was conversation with Minnesota,’’ said Bzdelik, who was in Las Vegas from Monday through Wednesday. “Any further conversation would require permission from the University of Colorado.’’

In a way, this could be good for the program because of the publicity.

As I posted on Rivals, I hope it gets publicized all over ESPN and other media outlets, and then Coach Bz turns them down with a statement about how much he loves CU and how the program is on the cusp of big things.

That would be the best scenario for CU.

In a way, this could be good for the program because of the publicity.

As I posted on Rivals, I hope it gets publicized all over ESPN and other media outlets, and then Coach Bz turns them down with a statement about how much he loves CU and how the program is on the cusp of big things.

That would be the best scenario for CU.

:nod: Agree.

This isn't suprising news.

Can anyone tell me why the TPuppies would even offer him the position? He has yet to show results at CU.

From the Camera:

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/jul/16/cus-bzdelik-has-casual-conversation-nbas-timberwol/

From the Camera said:
“Jeff called me and told me that it was an informal ‘bump’ at a summer league where he was monitoring the progress of some of our players and some of our former players,” Bohn said. “He said it was a very casual conversation.”

Bohn said Bzdelik also called all of his players Thursday to inform them that he remains committed to Colorado.

Can anyone tell me why the TPuppies would even offer him the position? He has yet to show results at CU.

agreed. I still like Bz a lot and think a lot of him due to his record before he got to CU. However, the body of work he's done in Boulder has to make him less attractive to NBA teams...right? Twolves are weird though - Rubio AND Flynn...???

Bzdelik is very highly respected in NBA circles, both for how he coached the no-talent Nuggets, and his scouting ability. It's not surprising that rebuilding NBA teams are interested in him to build their foundation. I'm sure the hoops community knows what a big repair job it was to come to Colorado, and the results of the past two seasons will not hurt his coaching stature. Hopefully this story will give the program a little bit of positive publicity, with the coach being mentioned in the Bulls search last year and now the TWolves. I am still very confident that Bz will stay here and get the job done - NCAAs in 2 years.

Back