What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-CSU Football Moves To Friday, August 29

I don't believe that is the case. According to this article Cory Hillard (Assistant AD) confirmed that CU makes an additional $1 million over what it could make playing the game in front of a sellout crowd in Boulder: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...-not-money-maker-once-Colorado-State-Colorado

That's almost equivalent to the value of the one-and-done CU did with Ohio State 2011 ($1.4 Million). I can understand why CU's administration has been unwilling to walk away from this series despite the protests from its fan base.

You may have been right in the early days of the series but I don't think that is the case now. The big payouts were a result of significantly larger crowds and even moreso a result of getting prime TV payouts, neither of those is the case now.

The biggest hinderance to ending the series is the same reason it started up again in the first place. CSU supporters in the statehouse applied large amounts of pressure to make it happen and a different generation of CSU supporters in the statehouse would be unhappy to see it end.

For a period of time it made sense for both schools to continue the series financially, now for CU I don't see that as the case. The crowd in Invesco isn't much bigger than what CU could get in Boulder for a regional opponent and CU would have access to the parking and concession revenues which isn't the case in Invesco. The game hasn't gotten a significant paying TV slot for a number of years so that isn't an issue.

CSU hates the idea because this game is still a big payday for them and the most significant game on the schedule for the huge majority of their fans (the numbers say the boot game isn't close.)

You may have been right in the early days of the series but I don't think that is the case now. The big payouts were a result of significantly larger crowds and even moreso a result of getting prime TV payouts, neither of those is the case now.

The biggest hinderance to ending the series is the same reason it started up again in the first place. CSU supporters in the statehouse applied large amounts of pressure to make it happen and a different generation of CSU supporters in the statehouse would be unhappy to see it end.

For a period of time it made sense for both schools to continue the series financially, now for CU I don't see that as the case. The crowd in Invesco isn't much bigger than what CU could get in Boulder for a regional opponent and CU would have access to the parking and concession revenues which isn't the case in Invesco. The game hasn't gotten a significant paying TV slot for a number of years so that isn't an issue.

CSU hates the idea because this game is still a big payday for them and the most significant game on the schedule for the huge majority of their fans (the numbers say the boot game isn't close.)

It clear the game isn't nearly as profitable for either program at this point, but I get the sense both athletic departments are in the "trying to get the thing fixed" rather than "killing it" mode. Both departments seem to view the RMS as the best option for each to make a substantially more than they might playing another home game. And with the facility plans in place right now for both CU and CSU no one is going to walk away from a potential payday - especially when the series is already set through 20

Thats a critical point. Even assuming what you say is true (ie CU making as much money on a regional program home game). CU would have to buy out the last remaining years on the RMS contact. Any additional money earned from a home game, if any, would have to be set off against any contractual penalties incurred. I don't see how CU comes out ahead in that scenario.

Last edited:
I don't think it's statehouse pressure keeping this game around, this isn't Texas, we're held hostage by a bad contract that CSU has no incentive to let us out of.

Money is a driver, but I have to believe we'd make as much or more by changing this series to a 3 for 1 arrangement and pla ying this game on campus. CSU would make much less than they do in Denver, hence we're stuck for now.

BTW, how long does the current contract or arrangement run? Is it 2018, 2020? I lost track.

In conclusion, is it lost on anyone that we have 124 posts on a CSU game? Mercy.

I don't believe that is the case. According to this article Cory Hillard (Assistant AD) confirmed that CU makes an additional $1 million over what it could make playing the game in front of a sellout crowd in Boulder: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...-not-money-maker-once-Colorado-State-Colorado

That's almost equivalent to the value of the one-and-done CU did with Ohio State in 2011 ($1.4 Million). I can understand why CU's administration has been unwilling to walk away from this series despite the protests from its fan base. Obviously, all that is contingent on fans actually buying tickets to the RMS.

I think that's "if" they were actually able to sell tickets to RMS to put over 70k butts in the stands.

I think that's "if" they were actually able to sell tickets to RMS to put over 70k butts in the stands.

And if CU is good enough that the game is desirable enough to draw a slot on a major national network like ESPN, ABC, etc. CSU, even when good doesn't drive TV ratings. When CU is good the hook of big brother playing little brother in front of a full house is compelling enough to drive viewership. Right now CU doesn't have national appeal and CSU has never had it.

The result is lots of empty seats and the game on a cable channel that most viewers only find by accident, and that doesn't pay much money.

I have no doubt Rick will either get us out of this game completely, or make a 3 for 1 deal for the future. CU has ALL of the bargaining chips.

It only makes sense that if we have a Folsom remodel for the 2015 season that the Buffs would actually open the season in Folsom.

Like if we play at Folsom. Dislike if we have to travel to FoCo if they build their stadium

Like if we play at Folsom. Dislike if we have to travel to FoCo if they build their stadium

Like if the series is ended after the 2014 game.

It's a scheduling problem for CU that makes the 9-game Pac-12 schedule difficult to work around, it's not popular with CU fans, and it does more harm than good with in-state recruiting. Kill it with fire.

Unfortunately they have a contract so it would be expensive for CU just to quit the contract before the end of it. CSU has that leverage and they have no interest in ending the series since it is far and away their highest profile game and the one that both the general public and their fan and alumni base pay attention to.

On the other hand George has a big hammer as well which is the continuation of the series in the future. He can tell CSU that they have two options, one is to work with CU for the rest of the deal, move some games to Boulder, potentially even move a game to the new sheep pen if it gets built but with a favorable payout to CU and have the probability of the series continuing in the future. The other option is to finish out the contract as it stands and then wait for hell to freeze over before CU considers playing CSU again in any form.

CSU cannot afford the second option, to them that is almost a nuclear winter choice because without the CU game they aren't looked at as much more than UNC or CSU-Pueblo. A program that had under 15,000 actual bodies in the stadium a few times in the past couple years isn't in a position to lose their hallmark game, especially when they are looking to justify spending 9 figures on a new stadium.

You're assuming there's no attendance clause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are always outs but I am not counting on the series dropping to the point where those clauses would trigger. This series means to much to CSU to let those clauses trigger and they will do what they have to to make sure that the series stays in effect. If that means pulling every string they can to sell enough tickets, even if they end up as empty seats, they will do it.

Not me.

I'm up for having a legit excuse to check out a new stadium, even if that means going to Captain Jack's on-campus wet dream.

Last time I saw CU play at the Fort was a kick ass weekend.

Back