1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU - DU Secret Scrimmage

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by EricMetcalfe, Nov 3, 2014.

1. EricMetcalfe

EricMetcalfe Member

The Buffs (reportedly) beat the Pioneers by 7 in their secret scrimmage. I got that information from my friend Justin Coughlin, who played for the Pioneers from '08-'12 (which is kind of a source, imo). The only other information he had was that it went "really well" (that would be a DU perspective).

So, while a 7 point win over DU won't exactly fuel the hype train here, I think it is encouraging.

1) Denver is good.
    2) Buffs won.
    3) From a tempo/system perspective, DU is a tough scrimmage partner. I assume there wasn't a lot of game plan implemented for their style.
    4) It is good to beat a team who - at least ostensibly - played "really well".

Can't wait to watch this team for myself!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I'm sure there was a lot of experimenting and stuff going on. Was it a "game" type scrimmage or did they do a lot of stopping and starting?

3. EricMetcalfe

EricMetcalfe Member

My guess would be that it was a "game" if they kept score. I don't think anyone would agree to scrimmage Joe Scott if he was allowed to stop it every 2 minutes, because I'm sure he would stop it every 2 minutes.

4. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Rep this man....

Agree on all, but on #3 - this was a great test for CU, DU is the type of team that CU struggles with and certainly a style we'll see against Wyoming.

Goose likes this.
  5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I don't know much about Denver, but they finished 139 in RPI last year with a 16-15 record. They looked like a good offensive team that are terrible at rebounding the ball. Leading scorer Brett Olsen, from Highlands Ranch, returns, but they lost Mr Do it all Chris Udofia. I think they returned 4 of 5 starters, so they are a fairly experienced team, but I doubt they had two guys on the roster that could cover XJ and Scott since we definitely beat them in the size department.

It would be interesting if we know what type of defense they ran against us and the final score.

6. EricMetcalfe

EricMetcalfe Member

That is true, and to some degree Drexel and ASU I suppose. From that standpoint its nice for Tad to get a team like this now.

7. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I thougth ASU was going to go back to being slow again, but all of their pre-season hype says they're sticking with the 10 seconds or less plan. It makes no sense, but that's Herb.

8. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Thanx EM. ymssra (damn gleeb gun is jammed again)

9. jgisland

DU plays slooooooooow and part of their poor rebounding is by design, as they forgo attempting to grab offensive rebounds to limit transition opportunities. DU usually plays man D but doubles from all over the place and they generally play good team D, so there is good rotation to cover the man doubling. They're a team that plays pretty smart and Scott is a good coach.

10. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

thanks, when I said they were a good offensive team, I only looked at their FG% and high assist rate, so I never looked at their pace, ppp, or ppg. I am starting to sense that teams employ this methodical style in order to minimize differences in talent.

11. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Very cool. Tad is very deliberate in his scheduling, so I'm sure that he got out of this scrimmage what he needed to see. So excited for this season to start.

12. EricMetcalfe

EricMetcalfe Member

Hey, the day I figure Herb out will be the day I quit hoops. He's a weird guy.

13. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Apropos of nothing, but it is kind of the opposite of football. Teams speed up to overcome talent differences. </showerthoughts>

14. jgisland

[tweet]529314915807281152[/tweet]

15. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

More signs the team really is lacking in the PG department. Also that's installing a new offense.

16. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Dom still being forced to sit out is a concern. He's not going to be up to speed for game 1. I'd expect a lot of JHop & XT to start the year.

17. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Yup. Not good to have the x-factor for this team sitting out most of the preseason.

Buffnik likes this.
  18. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I think the term I was looking for was "controlled." Was it a controlled scrimmage?

19. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Likely much of it was, with stops and starts for "teaching/coaching" moments at least for awhile. Have seen secret vids of such scrimmages and the first half is almost always teaching.

20. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Are they still playing the Princeton O?

21. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

17 turnovers....

22. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Its not the total, its who had them?

Back when Tad tried get the "O" to flow through Dre, he would have 4-5 TO/half, since he simply was unused to handling the ball down low.

If this was mostly the front line trying to learn the new "O", no big deal.