What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU fans should embrace the stability of Mike MacIntyre

We can't afford for 2017 to be a "transition" class (2011 & 2013). We also can't afford it to be a "lame duck" class (2010). It has to be good, not great, but good.

Which ultimately means that if you keep MM this year, and he doesn't go bowling next year, we're ****ed - because if he doesn't, the 2017 class will be one of those things "transition" or "lame duck."

That's what the decision to keep MM this off season is about: your confidence that he gets a bowl in 2016.

We can't afford for 2017 to be a "transition" class (2011 & 2013). We also can't afford it to be a "lame duck" class (2010). It has to be good, not great, but good.

Which ultimately means that if you keep MM this year, and he doesn't go bowling next year, we're ****ed - because if he doesn't, the 2017 class will be one of those things "transition" or "lame duck."

That's what the decision to keep MM this off season is about: your confidence that he gets a bowl in 2016.

You have to like his odds right?

Non-Con against CSU, Idaho St, and Mich.
Pac-12 home games against ASU, OSU, UCLA, WSU, and Utah
Pac-12 away games against UofA, USC, Oregon, Stanford

Have to be able to get to 6 with that schedule.

Utah, Oregon, USC are all that I can think of off the top of my head losing QB's.
USC will be replacing a head coach. Utah could be as well I suppose.

I don't like the odds with that schedule. At best, we're 2-1 starting the conference schedule, and at this point I'd say it's 40/60 that we're 1-2. OSU, WSU and UA could be wins. I'm not sure where 2 more come from...

I still think MikMac is on thinner ice than most of us would believe, personally, my vote would be to keep him at this point.

Have to be able to get to 6 with that schedule.

Utah, Oregon, USC are all that I can think of off the top of my head losing QB's.
USC will be replacing a head coach. Utah could be as well I suppose.

I don't like his odds at all. Unlike this year, there are only two wins on the noncon schedule, so we'll have to win four conference games to get to a bowl. (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume we beat CSU, which is far from guaranteed.) That means, MM will have to double the number of conference wins he had in his first three years combined to make a bowl next year. Utah, Oregon and USC lose a starting QB, but remain more talented than us at almost every position. And I'd trade Sefo for Oregon and USC's "replacements" in a flash. If there is a path to a bowl next year it is to win 3 of 5 games at home and beat Arizona on the road. While possible, I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

I don't like his odds at all. Unlike this year, there are only two wins on the noncon schedule, so we'll have to win four conference games to get to a bowl. (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume we beat CSU, which is far from guaranteed.) That means, MM will have to double the number of conference wins he had in his first three years combined to make a bowl next year. Utah, Oregon and USC lose a starting QB, but remain more talented than us at almost every position. And I'd trade Sefo for Oregon and USC's "replacements" in a flash. If there is a path to a bowl next year it is to win 3 of 5 games at home and beat Arizona on the road. While possible, I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
It is going to be really interesting to watch the QB position over the next eight months....MikMac's career could very well hang on the question of Sefo or no Sefo.

I don't like the odds with that schedule. At best, we're 2-1 starting the conference schedule, and at this point I'd say it's 40/60 that we're 1-2. OSU, WSU and UA could be wins. I'm not sure where 2 more come from...

I am seeing a legitimate shot in all of the Pac-12 home games.

The road games are brutal, but i would say we have a shot at UofA.

There is going to be a large amount of senior QB turnover this season. USC, UO, UU, ASU, and Stanford.
A few teams could be dealing with new coaches too. USC for sure, but possibly Stanford and Utah as well.

2-1 OOC, 1-3 Pac-12 Road, and 3-2 Pac-12 home. I know that is a big leap from where we are now and where we have been, but I think its probably the friendliest pac-12 schedule we have had since we got here.

Only slightly on topic, my Zoob buddy doesn't think Whittingham will leave SLC. Too comfortable. FWIW.

More on topic, our chances of making bowl games and stepping up in the conference would be greatly improved if we could start not getting our doors blown off by ASU every single time we step on the field with them. ASU will be replacing a QB too, and we have them at home. Time to finally get off the schneid against those guys.

More on topic, our chances of making bowl games and stepping up in the conference would be greatly improved if we could start not getting our doors blown off by ASU every single time we step on the field with them. ASU will be replacing a QB too, and we have them at home. Time to finally get off the schneid against those guys.

They are the Pac-12 version of Mizzou.

I am seeing a legitimate shot in all of the Pac-12 home games.

The road games are brutal, but i would say we have a shot at UofA.

There is going to be a large amount of senior QB turnover this season. USC, UO, UU, ASU, and Stanford.
A few teams could be dealing with new coaches too. USC for sure, but possibly Stanford and Utah as well.

2-1 OOC, 1-3 Pac-12 Road, and 3-2 Pac-12 home. I know that is a big leap from where we are now and where we have been, but I think its probably the friendliest pac-12 schedule we have had since we got here.
Tini, is that you?

Kidding aside, I agree that it's one of the more favorable conference schedules we've had in a while. That said, I still question whether or not a bowl will happen.

The problem is with that big 2017 class. I guess what I see is that a new coach with a 4 or 5 win 2016 will probably recruit a better 2017 class than a 5 win Mac, and probably equal to a 6 win Mac (assuming no further staff changes). And both would do better than making a change next off season.

Bottom line: It's better to make a coaching change in a year with a small recruiting class than in a year worth a large one. Or, RG has to decide this year is MM is the right guy or not, he can't wait until next year.

Tini, is that you?

Kidding aside, I agree that it's one of the more favorable conference schedules we've had in a while. That said, I still question whether or not it will happen.

The problem is with that big 2017 class. I guess what I see is that a new coach with aa 4 or 5 win 2016 will probably recruit a better 2017 class than a 5 win Mac, and probably equal to a 6 win Mac (assuming no further staff changes). And both would do better than making a change next off season.

Bottom line: It's better to make a coaching change in a year with a small recruiting class than in a year worth a large one. Or, RG had to decide this year is MM is the right guy or not, he can't wait until next year.

No doubt its in question, I think the potential is there though. More so than any year in the conference so far.

You are right though. If RG decides that HCMM is not the guy, then he should make the change. 2017 is such a big class, we can't waste it. If HCMM cans Lindgren, Neinas, and JJ, he gives himself an opportunity to boost recruiting impact for that big class. This offseason could be interesting.

but I think its probably the friendliest pac-12 schedule we have had since we got here.
I agree. I don't see Mac missing a bowl game next year and keeping his job. He will have a bunch of upperclassmen, 4 years in his system and a very favorable home schedule.

I see 2-1 OOC, all the home games are winnable but say we go 3-2 and win 1 on the road...that's 6. 7-8 wins is possible IMO, not likely, but possible.

No kidding. Of all the teams in the Pac-12, I might most enjoy a win over ASU and that ****eater Graham.

This is not a good off-season to fire a coach. You will be competing against about 35 schools. Lot of schools will be over paying for mediocrity.

Can anyone better informed than me comment on the state of the QBs on the roster and the ones that we're recruiting? This seems to be a huge area of concern, from where I sit.

This is not a good off-season to fire a coach. You will be competing against about 35 schools. Lot of schools will be over paying for mediocrity.
This is true every ****ing year.

If that's your gauge, you'll never fire any coach. Ever. There are always several "high profile" schools with openings every damn year.

Looking at how many seniors you have, and how large your recruiting class is the next year, now that does change from year to year, and it is a legitimate reason to make a change one year versus another.

Is it really any different than any other season? How long has it taken to turn over every coaching staff in the Pac12? 5 years?

The reality that we'll be competing with other schools any time we make a change. It's not a reason to keep MacIntyre or get rid of him.

If that's your gauge, you'll never fire any coach. Ever. There are always several "high profile" schools with openings every damn year.

Looking at how many seniors you have, and how large your recruiting class is the next year, now that does change from year to year, and it is a legitimate reason to make a change one year versus another.

Truth.

When was the last time we didn't have a number of P5 jobs open including some fairly high profile ones.

120+ BCS level head coaching jobs, 65 P5 jobs average coach last what 4-5 years. You are going to have 20+ jobs turn over each year. Guys get fired, guys retire, guys quit to go to other jobs.

If you are waiting for a year without competition for the best coaches it isn't going to happen.

I think the difference is that there have been a number of high profile gigs come open mid way through the season. Add this to the regular post season coaching attrition, and this year looks to be like one of the largest shufflings in a while, no?

Is it really any different than any other season? How long has it taken to turn over every coaching staff in the Pac12? 5 years?

The reality that we'll be competing with other schools any time we make a change. It's not a reason to keep MacIntyre or get rid of him.

Truth.

When was the last time we didn't have a number of P5 jobs open including some fairly high profile ones.

120+ BCS level head coaching jobs, 65 P5 jobs average coach last what 4-5 years. You are going to have 20+ jobs turn over each year. Guys get fired, guys retire, guys quit to go to other jobs.

If you are waiting for a year without competition for the best coaches it isn't going to happen.

I'm sorry, I'll agree to disagree here.

Last year, there were 7 coaching turnovers at P5 schools (Pitt, nubs, Wisconsin, Florida, Oregon State, Kansas, Michigan), and 3 of those (Oregon State, Wisconsin, Pitt) were domino effect hires after one P5 turnover. Without that one coaching change, there would have been only 3 P5 turnovers last year. I'd consider only 3 of those to be "high profile" openings. All told, there were 15 FBS turnovers.

In 2013, there were 8 P5 coaching turnovers (Connecticut, Louisville, Wake Forest, Washington, Vandy, Penn State, USC, and Texas). Three of those (Washington, Vandy, and Louisville) were domino effect hires.

This year, there are already 8 P5 jobs that are or will be open at the end of the year (Illinois, Maryland, UCF, Minnesota, Miami, VTech, South Carolina, and USC). This does not account for any domino effect hirings; at an average (as we've seen) over the last 2 years of 3, that puts it at 11 assuming no further changes, but I bet that there will be (Rutgers, Iowa State, maybe Arkansas, Auburn, KSU, maaaaaaaybe even Texas). At minimum, I expect there to be 13 turnovers in P5 this year.

The last time that happened? 2012. How many people here advocating getting rid of MM this offseason are pleased with what we ended up with in 2012?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'll agree to disagree here.

Last year, there were 7 coaching turnovers at P5 schools (Pitt, nubs, Wisconsin, Florida, Oregon State, Kansas, Michigan), and 3 of those (Oregon State, Wisconsin, Pitt) were domino effect hires after one P5 turnover. Without that one coaching change, there would have been only 3 P5 turnovers last year. I'd consider only 3 of those to be "high profile" openings. All told, there were 15 FBS turnovers.

In 2013, there were 8 P5 coaching turnovers (Connecticut, Louisville, Wake Forest, Washington, Vandy, Penn State, USC, and Texas). Three of those (Washington, Vandy, and Louisville) were domino effect hires. There were

This year, there are already 8 P5 jobs that are or will be open at the end of the year (Illinois, Maryland, UCF, Minnesota, Miami, South Carolina, and USC). This does not account for any domino effect hirings; at an average (as we've seen) over the last 2 years of 3, that puts it at 11 assuming no further changes, but I bet that there will be (Rutgers, Iowa State, maybe Arkansas, Auburn, KSU, maaaaaaaybe even Texas). At minimum, I expect there to be 13 turnovers in P5 this year.

The last time that happened? 2012. How many people here advocating getting rid of MM this offseason are pleased with what we ended up with in 2012?
Forgot Virginia Tech, so that would make 9 P5 jobs that are open at the end of the year, that we know of right now.

I think the difference is that there have been a number of high profile gigs come open mid way through the season. Add this to the regular post season coaching attrition, and this year looks to be like one of the largest shufflings in a while, no?

Not really. USC was open two years ago. Florida was open last year. Michigan, Nebraska, etc, etc.

Plus, let's face it, we are not competing with the likes of USC for coaches. You need to look at the number of mid to bottom P5 positions that are open. Is that really different this year?

Back