What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU fined 150k for rushing the field

that does suk, but worth every dime IMO. Our kids and school deserved it Folsom Field deserved it. If I was a wealthy donor, I would pick that tab up.

RG gonna be writing some extra checks for this and the bonuses to HCMM. Hopefully the extra attendance they didn't budget for covers it and more.

****ty job communicating by RG IMO. I know he was down there, and it almost worked... but Argus should have gotten (and spread) the message. instead they opened up one gate immediately. Disaster.

****ty job communicating by RG IMO. I know he was down there, and it almost worked... but Argus should have gotten (and spread) the message. instead they opened up one gate immediately. Disaster.
To be fair to Argus, who were responsible for the first two field rushes because they opened gates, people were hopping over the barrier with 10 seconds on the clock. Not much they could do.

To be fair to Argus, who were responsible for the first two field rushes because they opened gates, people were hopping over the barrier with 10 seconds on the clock. Not much they could do.
They made a really nice V in midfield. A reallocation of resources at the student section may have been a better choice. Also, the communication part.

Yes, better communication would have probably helped. It's one thing to say "wait one minute", it's another thing to fully explain why doing so means so much.

Yeah. Clock hadn't even hit zero when people started going over the top. I'm not sure there was any stopping this.

Yeah. Clock hadn't even hit zero when people started going over the top. I'm not sure there was any stopping this.
seemed like it was in specific sections though. RG did well in his spot. The fringes is where it started.

They made a really nice V in midfield. A reallocation of resources at the student section may have been a better choice. Also, the communication part.
I would think their first priority is probably always going to be the safety of the opposing players/coaches and officials. Or at least I am sure that is what is instructed to them.

seemed like it was in specific sections though. RG did well in his spot. The fringes is where it started.

Don't be surprised if the width of the student section narrows next year with them getting some 200 level. RG may have to make a business decision and take away 117 & 116 while making 215 & 214 student sections.

What they should do is embrace by turning that 60 seconds into some sort of massive party. Crank some music, do a count-down clock where everyone can get amped up before the rush.... shoot t-shirts into the stands. Try and make rushing the field, and waiting the one minute to rush, part of the tradition/experience. Just saying 'wait 60 seconds' and then expecting that to work was foolish.

Don't be surprised if the width of the student section narrows next year with them getting some 200 level. RG may have to make a business decision and take away 117 & 116 while making 215 & 214 student sections.
that's a bummer. Not gonna help student attendance. But if it means I can get good seats locked in...

What they should do is embrace by turning that 60 seconds into some sort of massive party. Crank some music, do a count-down clock where everyone can get amped up before the rush.... shoot t-shirts into the stands. Try and make rushing the field, and waiting the one minute to rush, part of the tradition/experience. Just saying 'wait 60 seconds' and then expecting that to work was foolish.

I had thought something like that before the game. But then people jumped the wall with time still on the clock. You can't start blasting music and shooting off confetti cannons while the game is still going on.

I'm pretty sure in the 90s they had student seating in the 200 level. Could be wrong.

I had thought something like that before the game. But then people jumped the wall with time still on the clock. You can't start blasting music and shooting off confetti cannons while the game is still going on.
Yeah, you're right. It's hard, and the most obvious solution is to move the students up.... or move them away from the giant ramp that makes it super easy to rush, lol

Another thing that they could do is something like Utah does with its "MUSS" student fan group. If you pay up and participate, you get the primo seats in the student section. If the truly invested student fans had the first 5 rows, they would be very compliant with policies and help police the situation. It's generally the people who have little invested in things who are quickest to flaunt the rules.

Another thing that they could do is something like Utah does with its "MUSS" student fan group. If you pay up and participate, you get the primo seats in the student section. If the truly invested student fans had the first 5 rows, they would be very compliant with policies and help police the situation. It's generally the people who have little invested in things who are quickest to flaunt the rules.
Love the MUSS plan. I hope the CUnit can get there.

I think they need to arm argus with paintball guns. Gold paint, of course. Sure, you can break the rules, but the first couple hundred that do will be hurting while also appropriately colored.

for everyone who thinks this is a stupid rule, note that CU and RG supported it (you might be right that it's stupid, just note you're criticizing a decision made by our AD, who presumably saw benefit in the policy)

for @BuffUp who thinks $175k is no big deal, that's easy to say when you're not ponying up the money. but keep in mind the university resorted to selling bricks in an effort to bring in a measly $125 per. Raising this kinda dough is not trivial. And you implied a false choice -- IMO, CU should have the wins and the money.

for those who criticized Argus, the answer seems to be armed, uniformed police. the question to me is whether that level of enforcement would cost more than the fines. RG was quoted last year that he didn't believe the new field rushing policy would require additional security -- it appears he was mistaken there.

and I still think if CU had handed out fines to a couple hundred people after ASU, this wouldn't have happened a second time.

Maybe they could drop a giant brightly lit ball from a large tower or something for 60 seconds. I've seen that somewhere and people got very excited afterwords. Lots of kissing.

Really, though, I like the thinking.

That's just insane. I honestly don't understand why on earth they didn't TELL PEOPLE why! "Wait 60 seconds" You're just tempting young adults at that point to defy you. I don't know if it would have worked but I dunno maybe if they said during the game, "please wait 60 seconds to rush the field otherwise the university will be fined 100K."

Just raise the student pass prices and when they ask why you say, "because you don't follow rules."

And next season "for every game this season you rush the field before 1 minute we will raise your pass prices an additional $5 next year to cover the cost."

Back