What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU football: Buffs set to pay Leavitt $500,000 a year

Wow. Great deal for a really solid hire. Baer was overpaid. No reason to back the money truck up based on those awful defenses. He's actually underpaid is say, but since he hasn't shown jack in the field yet he has nowhere to go but up. In the end I could see him getting a large payday--50% increase--within 2 years.

Like others I bet he has some incentives built in. In his position I would demand it for sure. We were an absolute crap defense last year. If he can drastically improve key stats like scoring D and turnovers that will directly translate into a few more wins.

I thought he might be as high as $700k. This guy was once upon a time one of the most sought-after coaches in the country.

I feel like we just robbed a bank.

Like others I bet he has some incentives built in. In his position I would demand it for sure. We were an absolute crap defense last year. If he can drastically improve key stats like scoring D and turnovers that will directly translate into a few more wins.
That's what I was thinking, probably incentive laden. He improves the D, meet certain goals, maybe they'll throw some bonus cash at him.

I was anticipating something around 600-650k as the salaries of coaches across the country is skyrocketing. A former HC (more than a decade of experience) and a former DC (multiple years). There have to be great incentives laced into his deal or RG channeled his inner Samuel Jackson/Kevin Spacey negotiating tactics. Great deal to get JL at this salary. Hope he sticks around for the duration of his contract and then some.

Fair deal.

UCLA's DC Jeff Ulbrich made $510k last year. Raiders just hired him away. That was the 6th highest assistant salary in the Pac-12 (privates didn't report, so no USC or Stanford). http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Great link. After looking through those salaries, it is clear that the P12 places much more value on offensive coaches than D. As you noted above, Ulbrich made $510k, but UCLA has two offensive guys in the $700+ range

Also interesting, Cal has the highest paid DC in the conference, and the statistically the worst defense. http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics . Not much of an ROI for the Bears.

I thought it would be more, but I don't know much about AC compensation. Hey, if we can get him for that much for 2 years, great...my guess is he'll be out of here anyway in 2-4 years with an FBS HC gig somewhere or NFL DC job.

I was anticipating something around 600-650k as the salaries of coaches across the country is skyrocketing. A former HC (more than a decade of experience) and a former DC (multiple years). There have to be great incentives laced into his deal or RG channeled his inner Samuel Jackson/Kevin Spacey negotiating tactics. Great deal to get JL at this salary. Hope he sticks around for the duration of his contract and then some.

We just re-annointed him as a "safe" coaching hire for NCAA programs. It doesn't matter what we pay him at this point because someone will come sniffing around, hopefully as soon as next fall, if he improves the program on that side of the ball.

We just re-annointed him as a "safe" coaching hire for NCAA programs. It doesn't matter what we pay him at this point because someone will come sniffing around, hopefully as soon as next fall, if he improves the program on that side of the ball.

A year into his gig with the 49ers, he said he chose to go there over several college coordinator offers. I don't think he's had any trouble generating interest at the college level before this.

Absolutely hope that people come sniffing around as that means that the Buffs defense has made huge strides from last year to this year and from this year to next year. One of the things that Adam @ Rivals has mentioned was that MM and RG are interested in building a great foundation (one of the reasons that Pendergast was not pursued very hard) as he was not a team player and his goals were/are selfish. Make me believe that he is going to stick around and really wants to be part of this staff for longer than one year or maybe even longer than 2 years.

A year into his gig with the 49ers, he said he chose to go there over several college coordinator offers. I don't think he's had any trouble generating interest at the college level before this.

I think what Miami is saying is that with this job, he can now go back into a Head Coaching position in College somewhere. Prior to this, he was still a bit radioactive due to how everything went down at USF. After taking four years to coach linebackers in the NFL, and a DC job in Boulder, he can once again be considered for college head coaching jobs. I don't think that will happen after one year, but if the Buffs Defense shows significant improvement and the team makes a bowl in 2016, he'll be one of the guys that people point to as being the architect of that turnaround.

I think what Miami is saying is that with this job, he can now go back into a Head Coaching position in College somewhere. Prior to this, he was still a bit radioactive due to how everything went down at USF. After taking four years to coach linebackers in the NFL, and a DC job in Boulder, he can once again be considered for college head coaching jobs. I don't think that will happen after one year, but if the Buffs Defense shows significant improvement and the team makes a bowl in 2016, he'll be one of the guys that people point to as being the architect of that turnaround.

That's fair. It seems tough for a fired college coach to get another head coaching gig no matter what the reason though.

I was digging up the quote that was the basis for my earlier post. Here it is:

But coaching is as much about who you know as what you know, and Leavitt got a call from new 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, who was putting a coaching staff together early in 2011. He needed a linebackers coach, and Leavitt suddenly was intrigued. He’d “never been much of an NFL guy” and “never had time to mess with it,” he said, but was fascinated at the new challenge and took the job over a few college coordinator offers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-leavitt-makes-best-second-214623510--nfl.html

Good read on Leavitt if you have a few minutes

I think he may actually find that he wants to stay in Boulder foe awhile. He made a statement in one of the videos about how beautiful a place the bay area was and how he and his wife enjoyed living there. If they really do value quality of life and beautiful surroundings, we may have a legit DC for the foreseeable future? !

The assumption being, given our history, that we vetted him very closely. He could get another coaching gig even if we showed just mild improvement because of accomplishments at USF.

Will probably take 2 successful, no incident years for most programs to move past the USF issue in making him a HC.

However, I could see USF come calling really quickly. He was on the verge of turning that school into a power house when they fired him, and I feel like given the opportunity he would go back.

Will probably take 2 successful, no incident years for most programs to move past the USF issue in making him a HC.

However, I could see USF come calling really quickly. He was on the verge of turning that school into a powerhouse when they fired him, and I feel like given the opportunity he would go back.
I cannot see that at all. Everyone handles delicate situations like that one differently afterwards, but I could never go back to an employer that fired me. Nor do I believe USF's Regents would be particularly interested in a coach that sued them and won.

I alluded to this in another post, but I think it says a lot for Mac and the direction of the program that JL would make a 3 year commitment to us. That being especially true if you think that he needs success at DC in order to get future HC offers. If he counted all the risks and rewards and decided to take the job, I think that says a lot as to where he thinks this program is headed.

I alluded to this in another post, but I think it says a lot for Mac and the direction of the program that JL would make a 3 year commitment to us. That being especially true if you think that he needs success at DC in order to get future HC offers. If he counted all the risks and rewards and decided to take the job, I think that says a lot as to where he thinks this program is headed.
Yeah, he knows about turning around programs, and he jumped on board with Mac. I think that says a lot about Mac as a man and as HC.

Back