What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU football: Toby Neinas seeks strong start for Buffs special teams

I'm not going to defend him. But at what point do the players get some blame for not executing? Man, that was about the worst display of special teams I've seen. And it has carried over from last year.

It's his job to get them to execute. When they don't, he pays.

Or maybe we could fire the players. That sounds appealing.

so i watched that play like 15 times... and as best i can surmise, the ball was falling off the tee when he hit it, because the team didnt react like it was an onside kick

How are you able to watch it multiple times? I though it was live stream only.

Yeah Wtf Buffnik? Lol, ST's umm I don't know what to say. Thank God we have a punter at least.

HCMM needs to do his job on this one.

Neinas wasn't brought from SJSU. He was hired from the open market when there was a spot to fill, so there shouldn't be the same sort of loyalty.

We need an upgrade.

Seemed like the play calling on 4th down on the last play of the game showed MacIntyre doesn't have much faith in the special teams.

I seem to remember Embree and Co having the same exact issue with special teams (I can't remember whether it was season one or two of the Embree era). After a couple of games, they figured that their special teams players weren't good enough to perform adequately on special teams, so they started playing offensive and defensive starters on special teams. My hypothesis is that our second/third stringers are so young, inexperienced, or bad that they cannot compete against the second/third stringers of other teams, even crappy teams like UMASS. Or it could be coaching.

I'd send him packing last year but that's me. I'd never have hired his ass in the first place.

I seem to remember Embree and Co having the same exact issue with special teams (I can't remember whether it was season one or two of the Embree era). After a couple of games, they figured that their special teams players weren't good enough to perform adequately on special teams, so they started playing offensive and defensive starters on special teams. My hypothesis is that our second/third stringers are so young, inexperienced, or bad that they cannot compete against the second/third stringers of other teams, even crappy teams like UMASS. Or it could be coaching.

We have a number of starters playing on special teams, though.

Honestly, it's just bad performance. We have a senior punter and a senior kicker. Oliver made his FGs and Darragh is playing at an extremely high level. New snapper, but that seems to be in good hands. Spruce is avoiding any yardage swings by catching everything on PR, so that's solid.

Issues are kickoff (return and coverage) and our punt coverage. It leads to your point about youth, but it's more than that. Our vets are making dumb plays like Daigh with the late hit. As I look at it, I'm feeling like it's our vets who aren't performing. Every time someone makes a play, it seems like it's a sophomore or a freshman.

Man, that's cold-blooded, Duff. Not necessarily unreasonable, but cold.

It is, but we are talking about the guy who has been an outlier from the start. No one was thrilled with that hire and his resume pretty much speaks for itself.

LaRussa has ST experience.

Do we really need to wait? I don't think so.

Frankly gentlemen, it might be a good message.

M2 is trying to change the culture of this program. He is trying to convince the players that every one of them is accountable every week.

Clearly Neinas isn't doing the job. If a player were underperforming at the level that Neinas is his playing time and even position on the team would be at risk. Hold the assistant coaches to a similar level of accountability and your credibility with the players could go way up.

If assistant coaches are hesitant to sign with CU because of the 1-year contracts, what kind of message does firing a coach after 2 games send?

Hopefully at the end of the season ALL of the assistant coaches will be examined and re-evaluated.

I understand it is probably unreasonable, but he flat out sucks as a coach. We still look this bad after game six, is there any reason to play out the string?

I understand it is probably unreasonable, but he flat out sucks as a coach. We still look this bad after game six, is there any reason to play out the string?

If it's already difficult to hire assistant coaches because of 1-year contract restrictions, and Neinas was hired as an outsider anyway -- if he is fired in the middle of the season, is there any chance that any outsider coach comes to CU under MacIntyre ever?

If assistant coaches are hesitant to sign with CU because of the 1-year contracts, what kind of message does firing a coach after 2 games send?
That CU is serious about winning and that even coaches who arent contributing to the W's, will get benched or canned.

If it's already difficult to hire assistant coaches because of 1-year contract restrictions, and Neinas was hired as an outsider anyway -- if he is fired in the middle of the season, is there any chance that any outsider coach comes to CU under MacIntyre ever?

We probably should just keep him for next season in that case.

Hopefully at the end of the season ALL of the assistant coaches will be examined and re-evaluated.

What kind of message does keeping a guy around who is clearly in over his head send? There is no doubt he is dealing with a talent gap, but so is the offense and defense. While they've both been bad, ST has been atrocious.

What kind of message does keeping a guy around who is clearly in over his head send? There is no doubt he is dealing with a talent gap, but so is the offense and defense. While they've both been bad, ST has been atrocious.

No doubt. But knee jerk reactions two games into the season don't solve anything.

Let the string play out. When the season is over, there will be plenty of opportunity to make changes.

I understand what you are saying but it isn't two games. It's a whole season plus two games and has been getting worse.

Firing an assistant in season might make others think twice but the bottom line for most assistants is that they want to move up to higher responsibility and higher profile jobs. Winning has a huge amount to do with that. If the message is that we will do what we have to win then assistant candidates will be on board.

Back