What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU gets played by Jones

Butch pulled this stunt on Marshall 3 years ago. Had an offer and verbal agreement with Marshall to replace Mark Snyder, then went back on it and ended up at Cincy...it's his MO

You got to be kidding me...Jones going from an AQ job to a non-AQ job? I guess we would have been hearing about Jones declining the Northern Colorado job while at CU.

You are interviewing plan B candidates starting Wednesday morning instead of finding out Thursday morning you've been had and now scrambling because you held out for a deal that got worse by the hour. In other words, you hold the bag of money, you call the shots instead of the other way around.

And it isn't just a day. If you have, for instance, talked to Jones on Monday and asked for an answer within 24 hours, you could have already arranged the interviews, plane flights etc. to be moving as soon as the deadline passed. Instead, it appears MB stood around like a HS girl saying : "He said he would call". And now has to scramble. Who knows, if he would have taken control of the negotiations he might be closing a deal for Sonny Dykes today instead of looking like a jilted schoolgirl. Dykes is gone now. To me that is one big opportunity cost to letting Jones dangle CU for nearly three full days.

None of the other schools looking for HC's stood around and waited for their candidates like MB. Or at least if they did, they had the sense to keep it quiet.

And you know this for a fact because you are the mouse in Bohn's pocket??? Oh, that's right you said "...appears MB stood...." So, in essence you KNOW NOTHING!!! Yet , you spout off "like a HS girl," yourself! Classic projection by you.

Butch turning us down is a blessing in disguise.

Sure you can say that. But allowing it to play out publically for 4 days is not a blessing. We're 1.5 weeks into not having a coach. Cal, Kentucky, Purdue, Arkansas etc all have coaches and we're sitting around burning time

Sure you can say that. But allowing it to play out publically for 4 days is not a blessing. We're 1.5 weeks into not having a coach. Cal, Kentucky, Purdue, Arkansas etc all have coaches and we're sitting around burning time

I'm not a Butch fan, didn't like the offer in the first place, and glad he turned us down.

I can assure you that several other candidates have been thru the phase 1 process. Jones was the first choice and they went after him.

My only beef is it was too public.
We don't know if that's Bohn's fault or someone else such as Jones, his agent, the Cincy AD......

On to candidate #2.

This is something that's bugging me. Apparently they had Mendenhall, at least, in for an interview. And basically, nothing was heard about it for a couple days after the fact. We've heard they've talked to other coaches, but basically nothing more than rumors. Then there's Butchy. 3 days before he was coming in for an interview, it's front page news. There is media waiting at the airport and chasing his SUV. He's hiding behind food carts to avoid photographers. People are stalking airplane tail numbers. It's total chaos.

My question is, why did Butchy's interview play out so much differently? Obviously somebody was feeding info publicly to make it a story. Was it the AD? His agent? Him? Joel Klapp? Just seems strange to me...

This is something that's bugging me. Apparently they had Mendenhall, at least, in for an interview. And basically, nothing was heard about it for a couple days after the fact. We've heard they've talked to other coaches, but basically nothing more than rumors. Then there's Butchy. 3 days before he was coming in for an interview, it's front page news. There is media waiting at the airport and chasing his SUV. He's hiding behind food carts to avoid photographers. People are stalking airplane tail numbers. It's total chaos.

My question is, why did Butchy's interview play out so much differently? Obviously somebody was feeding info publicly to make it a story. Was it the AD? His agent? Him? Joel Klapp? Just seems strange to me...

Let's follow the incentive. Who would want the numbers associated with Butch's offer public?

Only his agent, that I can tell. He can play them against other offers.

Who had incentive to leak an acceptance story to the DP?

His agent would get the cut from a higher offer. There may be other reasons from other sources that I'm not aware of.

However, his agent seems a likely source for the overly-public nature of this event.

Let's follow the incentive. Who would want the numbers associated with Butch's offer public?

His agent would get the cut from a higher offer. There may be other reasons from other sources that I'm not aware of.

However, his agent seems a likely source for the overly-public nature of this event.
Good agent.

That's pretty much my conclusion, too.

In the future, hopefully CU will know to run away the second they start seeing somebody playing this game, or at the very least make it clear to somebody playing this game that their offer expires the second an airplane leaves Colorado air space...

Who would want the numbers associated with Butch's offer public?
It's actually possible the AD would want them public.
1. It signals to the fans and boosters that the school is actually taking football seriously. A message they have been failing to send for years.
2. It signals to all of the other coaches out there that CU is once again going to be paying big boy money to their next coaching staff.

Not only might #2 actually shake out some interest from folks that they wouldn't otherwise know might be available, but it will also help the new HC, whomever that might be, assemble his staff, as you know a pot of money that large for assistants will also catch some attention.

The cons may outweigh these pros, but it's not like there are NO benefits to CU for the $ amount of the offer to be made public.

You got to be kidding me...Jones going from an AQ job to a non-AQ job? I guess we would have been hearing about Jones declining the Northern Colorado job while at CU.

From CMU to Marshall, backed out of Marshall deal, ended up going from CMU to Cinci.

BJ.jpgbuzz.jpg

Last edited:

This is absolutely plausible, but here’s what I don’t understand then. If the AD leaked the story to DP, the AD would want to save face and ask their DP/Denver Media people to call out Jones’ agent (otherwise it looks like our loose tongued AD literally botched a deal because it told someone too early, therefore completing the spiral towards complete incompetence). If multiple sources today are reporting that the AD did indeed leak it, either a) Bohn has no control over these people or b) the AD actually did leak it. Both of those mean our AD can’t do the job.

This is absolutely plausible, but here’s what I don’t understand then. If the AD leaked the story to DP, the AD would want to save face and ask their DP/Denver Media people to call out Jones’ agent (otherwise it looks like our loose tongued AD literally botched a deal because it told someone too early, therefore completing the spiral towards complete incompetence). If multiple sources today are reporting that the AD did indeed leak it, either a) Bohn has no control over these people or b) the AD actually did leak it. Both of those mean our AD can’t do the job.

Spot on.

If it was the agent then we likely see that revealed.

If it both the agent and the AD leaked, or just the AD then it gets stickier.

And you know this for a fact because you are the mouse in Bohn's pocket??? Oh, that's right you said "...appears MB stood...." So, in essence you KNOW NOTHING!!! Yet , you spout off "like a HS girl," yourself! Classic projection by you.
I never said I knew anything more than anybody else. Take a look around the nation and see how it's being portaryed, Bruce Feldman is saying CU should have been looking for a new AD before a coach. I am not the only one commenting on the ineptitude. Feldman knows more than me and came to same conclusion.

I have never gotten past the initial headhunter recruiting call but I have seen other folks, including family memebers go through the process. Watching from the outside it looks like a cluster to me. Bottom line is Bohn's allowing Jones to make the calls puts CU in a bad light. There is no way around that.

From looking at the timelines it looks like Long was hired after Bohn came to CU. Not sure about that though.

That's true. Bohn didn't hire a HFC at SDSU. He did hire Cable at Idaho. That really was his only football coaching hire before he came to CU...

What a ****head. I had a feeling he was posturing hoping for a call from someone else.. thanks for wasting our time Butch.

Jones won't be our coach for the bowl game. Word is that he is finalizing a contract with TN, that is why no press conference has been scheduled here and why he dragged CU on. He scammed us all.....
If that is true, I will be watching UT over the next few years. I don't wish the guy ill, I do think he handled it poorly. I think our AD handled it very poorly. But if he doesn't want to be at CU, probably best CU moves in another direction. You probably feel the same way. Good luck in the Belk's Bowl, I wish the Buffs could qualify for a bowl sometime in the near future.

Jones won't be our coach for the bowl game. Word is that he is finalizing a contract with TN, that is why no press conference has been scheduled here and why he dragged CU on. He scammed us all.....

Well, it will be easier rooting for him to fail at a school that I already root against. In the same way, Kiffin to USC was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. I like my world-view to be tidy.

Dirtbag

If Butch takes another job we're gonna have egg on our faces. This whole thing has just been handled horribly by the Athletic Dept and this again make CU look bad. It seems like this fiasco can't get any worse(1-11, Crying, Racism), but it is...

Last edited:
Let's face a little reality ladies and gents, CU isn't currently a destination job for the very best candidates. Simply put quality candidates are sitting out there and looking at CU as a nice place to live in a good conference with a promise of money coming in for facilities and a big conference payout helping the budget.

The down side is that you have a roster that is a joke with years of terrible recuiting. You aren't in a recruiting hotbed, you aren't the dominant sports entity in your state or even close, you have a smallish stadium that doesn't fill up and a negative media environment. You are coming into a team that set records for getting blasted last year, don't produce a winner and your career is dead ended.

You also know that other jobs without all these negatives come open every year. This year we had openings at Arky, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and by the time it is over a number of others that will all give a much stronger starting point.

We aren't driving this market, we are trying to steal someone. Anyone who would make the posters here happy is going to have other, likely better offers. That's something that Bohn can't change right now.

Back