What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cu history

HornBuff

Horns Down
Struggling
1982 - Bill McCartney – 2 – 8 - 1
1983 - Bill McCartney – 4 – 7
1984 - Bill McCartney – 1 - 10

Middle of the Pack
1985 - Bill McCartney 7 - 5
1986 - Bill McCartney 6 - 6
1987 - Bill McCartney 7 - 4
1988 - Bill McCartney 8 - 4

Excellence
1989 - Bill McCartney - 11 - 1 (AP #4)
1990 - Bill McCartney - 11 – 1- 1 (National Champion)
1991 - Bill McCartney - 8 – 3 - 1 (AP #20)
1992 - Bill McCartney – 9 - 2 - 1 (AP #13)
1993 - Bill McCartney – 8 - 3 - 1 ((AP #16)
1994 - Bill McCartney – 11 - 1 (AP #3)
1995 - Rick Neuheisel – 10 - 2 (AP #5)
1996 - Rick Neuheisel – 10 - 2 (AP #8)

Mixed (mostly middle of the pack to good)
1997 - Rick Neuheisel – 5 - 6
1998 - Rick Neuheisel – 8 - 4
1999 - Gary Barnett – 7 - 5
2000 - Gary Barnett – 3 - 8
2001 - Gary Barnett – 10 - 3 (AP #9)
2002 - Gary Barnett – 9 - 5 (AP #20)
2003 - Gary Barnett – 5 - 7
2004 - Gary Barnett – 8 - 5
2005 - Gary Barnett – 7 - 6

Struggling to middle of the pack
2006 - Dan Hawkins – 2 - 10
2007 - Dan Hawkins – 6 - 7
2008 - Dan Hawkins – 5 - 7
2009 - Dan Hawkins - 3 – 9

Here is the past. What's the future?

McCartney had seven seasons before he did anything. Hawk has done nothing in four full seasons. Does he turn the corner or does he continue to fail?

Last edited:
The biggest problem Hawkins is looking at in trying to get over the hump (other than atrocious coaching) is talent. He had one nice recruiting class after '07 (although most of the highly rated players from that class are no longer here). To have any chance of staying competitive, he would need another next year at the latest. The attrition has been horrible. A rebuilding program just can't afford to lose those kinds of guys. The team has backslid in every area of football fundamentals this year. Hard to see how they could improve enough in 10 months to make a splash and re-stock the cupboard.

I can hang on for 3 more years and with my advancing dementia I will probably forget about the last 4 seasons anyway

Nice post and a great overview! I think Hawkins' tenure should be classified as "struggling", however, during his first and latest season.

The biggest problem Hawkins is looking at in trying to get over the hump (other than atrocious coaching) is talent. He had one nice recruiting class after '07 (although most of the highly rated players from that class are no longer here). To have any chance of staying competitive, he would need another next year at the latest. The attrition has been horrible. A rebuilding program just can't afford to lose those kinds of guys. The team has backslid in every area of football fundamentals this year. Hard to see how they could improve enough in 10 months to make a splash and re-stock the cupboard.
I agree 100%.

What's the quote from the coach in Chariots of Fire? You can't put in what God left out. You don't see too many BCS teams winning on a consistent basis without some decent recruiting. There is an incredibly high correlation between recruiting rankings and football rankings over the longer term. Exceptions?, no doubt. But winning and recruiting go hand in hand. The teams at the bottoms of the conferences are usually the teams at the bottom of the recruitign rankings.

thansk for the post... god hawk sucks. I am gonna hope for a renewal of the Mac formula. Not realistic or even possible, but jesus, its all I got.

I think there are a lot of similarities between Washington and CU.
  • Research institution/good academics
  • Both are located in/near fairly large major metro areas yet in the relatively sparsely populated west.
  • Seattle is #13 largest MSA. Denver is #19. Very similar
  • Major conference affiliation.
  • Good football tradition, but not quite in the highest tier.
  • National championships in back to back years.
  • Forced to recruit a lot of players from out of state/region.
  • Good fan base, but not of the SEC/Ohio State/Notre Dame/Oklahoma variety in terms of size, commitment, fanaticism, etc.
  • Neuheisel
  • Tough times recently.
  • Natural beauty (Seattle PNW/Boulder & Rockies)
    Propensity of fanbase to be active with the outdoor lifestyle vs. couch potatoes and 100% focused on spectator sports (Ohio State University)

1977 Don James 10 2
1978 Don James 7 4
1979 Don James 10 2
1980 Don James 9 3
1981 Don James 10 2
1982 Don James 10 2
1983 Don James 8 4
1984 Don James 11 1

1985 Don James 7 5
1986 Don James 8 3 1
1987 Don James 7 4 1
1988 Don James 6 5
1989 Don James 8 4

1990 Don James 10 2
1991 Don James 12 0 (National Champion)
1992 Don James 9 3

1993 Jim Lambright 7 4
1994 Jim Lambright 7 4
1995 Jim Lambright 7 4 1
1996 Jim Lambright 9 3
1997 Jim Lambright 8 4
1998 Jim Lambright 6 6
1999 Rick Neuheisel 7 5

2000 Rick Neuheisel 11 1

2001 Rick Neuheisel 8 4
2002 Rick Neuheisel 7 6
2003 Keith Gilbertson 6 6
2004 Keith Gilbertson 1 10
2005 Tyrone "Ty" Willingham 2 9
2006 Tyrone "Ty" Willingham 5 7
2007 Tyrone "Ty" Willingham 4 9
2008 Tyrone "Ty" Willingham 0 12

What you need to remember with Mac in his early years was the state of the team prior to him arriving. Hawk says that everything was "burned to the ground" prior to him arriving.

Mac is the coach that came to CU when things were "burned to the ground". He was the guy that had to rebuild the CU culture and convince players that the could compete and win in the Big 8.

Even Mac's middle of the road seasons, his teams generally played with high intesity, and were competative. His teams were legitimate only a few plays away teams.

Hawkins inherited a trashcan fire and has managed to fan it into a inferno. His teams lack intesity and focus. His wins this year were against WYO, KU, and aTm.

Now that the season is over the only good win they had was against aTm and aTm was a play away from getting the W.

Hawkins has done nothing to even be mentioned in the same sentance with Mac unless the setance is Hawkins just delivered coach Mac's coffee. Hawkins needs to only be compared with Fairbanks to see how he stacks up. Hawkins best seasons were with Barnett leftovers.

What you need to remember with Mac in his early years was the state of the team prior to him arriving. Hawk says that everything was "burned to the ground" prior to him arriving.

Mac is the coach that came to CU when things were "burned to the ground". He was the guy that had to rebuild the CU culture and convince players that the could compete and win in the Big 8.

Even Mac's middle of the road seasons, his teams generally played with high intesity, and were competative. His teams were legitimate only a few plays away teams.

Hawkins inherited a trashcan fire and has managed to fan it into a inferno. His teams lack intesity and focus. His wins this year were against WYO, KU, and aTm.

Now that the season is over the only good win they had was against aTm and aTm was a play away from getting the W.

Hawkins has done nothing to even be mentioned in the same sentance with Mac unless the setance is Hawkins just delivered coach Mac's coffee. Hawkins needs to only be compared with Fairbanks to see how he stacks up. Hawkins best seasons were with Barnett leftovers.

It's very hard to point to anything that Hawk has done. It's failure across the board as far as I can see. Wins are what you want, but you don't even get indicators of good things with Hawk. It seems like every measurable is down. What is he doing well? Losing star players. Other star players (o-line) underperforming. Bad judgement with playign Cody. Penalties. Near rock bottom in any offensive statistic. You don't get the feelign that the fundamentals are there and winning is sure to follow.

On the flip side, he had to be doing someting right at BSU. What gives?

Historically, a CU coach wins one less game on average in their 5th year, as compared to their 4th year.

Get ready for 2-10 in 2010.

We are frighteningly similar to the Huskies. After their savior of a coach, they have had a lot of trouble sustaining any success they have. They have had a couple of great years, some good years, and a lot of bad years. Oddly enough Rick gave both of us a good season apiece, fortunately we got 2 out of him.

We are frighteningly similar to the Huskies. After their savior of a coach, they have had a lot of trouble sustaining any success they have. They have had a couple of great years, some good years, and a lot of bad years. Oddly enough Rick gave both of us a good season apiece, fortunately we got 2 out of him.
Maybe U-Dub has thier man now?

They definitely could, Sarkisian is a good offensive mind and he got Nick Holt to come with him from USC to take control of the defense. I didn't get to watch too many of their games this year, but a win over USC is a nice start. Their record this year is pretty poor, 3-7, but wins over USC and Washington State have to please the fan base. Their UCLA game was a 1 point loss, their loss to ND was really unfortunate for them, lost by 8 to LSU which was a good game. I think there is definitely reason for hope around their parts. It'll be interesting to see how they do next year if Locker leaves, though. I'd like to say they're in a good spot because their backup QB went to my high school, but Locker makes a lot of things happen for them, the dropoff will be a big one.

They definitely could, Sarkisian is a good offensive mind and he got Nick Holt to come with him from USC to take control of the defense. I didn't get to watch too many of their games this year, but a win over USC is a nice start. Their record this year is pretty poor, 3-7, but wins over USC and Washington State have to please the fan base. Their UCLA game was a 1 point loss, their loss to ND was really unfortunate for them, lost by 8 to LSU which was a good game. I think there is definitely reason for hope around their parts. It'll be interesting to see how they do next year if Locker leaves, though. I'd like to say they're in a good spot because their backup QB went to my high school, but Locker makes a lot of things happen for them, the dropoff will be a big one.
No doubt. Locker is making good things happen. If he's not there I wonder.

Fun fact - Don James was on Eddie Crowder's staff and desperately wanted the HC job that went to Bill Mallory.

Back