What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU - LSU home and home

I'd love to see CU and LSU. I went to both schools, so I win either way. Both stadiums and campuses are beautiful, but the food is much better in Baton Rouge.

Agree. And this isn't just Penn State, most schools seem to follow this mold. Unfortunately some people on here wont be happy until we go 0-3 OOC every year as long as they get to to see us play in (blank) stadium or against (blank team) who's going to kick the sh*t out of us.

I don't buy the 'they are gunna kick the **** out of us' argument. I think everyone can agree that the program is at a low point right now. Last year Cal kicked the **** of us. This year it could have gone either way. Two years ago, we almost beat georgia at their place. Last year, we beat georgia at our place.

It does go in cycles, tini. When you're in your teens or early twenties, you're reference point is such a short timeline. When I was an underclassman, I would have probably said that Miami, Florida State and Notre Dame would always be incredible. Texas and USC were faded powers. LSU never showed up in the rankings. Syracuse was a national power. And UCLA won its bowl game every season.

This was the first half of the 1990s. Wasn't that long ago. A lot can change in even a 5 year period.

I'd love to see CU and LSU. I went to both schools, so I win either way. Both stadiums and campuses are beautiful, but the food is much better in Baton Rouge.

Love the food down there, but it's not as diverse. I'd take the food in Baton Rouge for a weekend trip, but prefer Boulder if I was going to be eating out for a week.

It does go in cycles, tini. When you're in your teens or early twenties, you're reference point is such a short timeline. When I was an underclassman, I would have probably said that Miami, Florida State and Notre Dame would always be incredible. Texas and USC were faded powers. LSU never showed up in the rankings. Syracuse was a national power. And UCLA won its bowl game every season.

This was the first half of the 1990s. Wasn't that long ago. A lot can change in even a 5 year period.

fyi a kid born in the early 90s is 21 now.

I don't buy the 'they are gunna kick the **** out of us' argument. I think everyone can agree that the program is at a low point right now. Last year Cal kicked the **** of us. This year it could have gone either way. Two years ago, we almost beat georgia at their place. Last year, we beat georgia at our place.

Obviously it's possible that we could win but can we agree that the probability of losing or getting killed is MUCH higher playing at LSU then playing Wyoming at Folsom?

Obviously it's possible that we could win but can we agree that the probability of losing or getting killed is MUCH higher playing at LSU then playing Wyoming at Folsom?

Yeah. But I'm not advocating unreciprocated away games. We play there, they play here. Like Cal and Georgia.

Yeah. But I'm not advocating unreciprocated away games. We play there, they play here. Like Cal and Georgia.
Or we could play Wyoming and Idaho State at home those years and have two easy wins.

Or we could play Wyoming and Idaho State at home those years and have two easy wins.

We could, but it would be worthless and pointless. And if we really sucked, like the last few years, we could have two ridiculous losses.

We could, but it would be worthless and pointless. And if we really sucked, like the last few years, we could have two ridiculous losses.
Why would it be worthless? Wins aren't worthless. Ad we beat Wyo 24-0 and Idaho State is the worst FCS team.

Starting 2-0 as opposed too 0-2 like we are now would be worthless and pointless? Please explain. I was under the impression that the goal of football was to win the game.

fyi a kid born in the early 90s is 21 now.

That's kind of my point, Daaah. That seems like ancient history. It's a different perspective. In the early 1990s, hearing about great teams of the early 1970s didn't mean much to me. It didn't seem relevant, actually. I'd watch a clip of a game from back then and the uniforms looked weird, the tv graphics and picture quality looked pathetic, and the athletes looked like they couldn't play in the current era. The future had arrived and the teams that had always been good during this new age were always going to be good. In 15-20 years, tini's perspective will be completely different. It's kind of unfair to expect him to have that perspective now when it would be impossible to think about trends over a timeline that's outside his experience.

Love the food down there, but it's not as diverse. I'd take the food in Baton Rouge for a weekend trip, but prefer Boulder if I was going to be eating out for a week.
Food was good in Boulder, loved the Broker, but I am a seafood addict.

We should lighten up the OOC schedule a lot. Games to Baton Rogue are once-in-a-lifetime though. We may be back then. We may not be. I saw CU play @UT and @OU. Great historical venues and we played like ass for 6 quarters. I wouldn't want them to fill up an OOC with all BCS level opponents, even historically bad ones because you never know who may turn the corner. Some patsies are required to help us to to 8+ wins a year, but we shouldn't back down and play the worst of the worst every year. No matter how rabid the fans are here, Boulder and CU will never be the South and Folsom won't always consistently sellout for the Idaho's of the world.

2 > 1

OOC option 1
2020 South Dakota, CSU (Mile High), Idaho State
2021 @ South Dakota, CSU (Mile High), @ Idaho State

OOC option 2
2020 Northern Colorado (1 & Done), Air Force, @ LSU
2021 CSU (Boulder), @ AFA, LSU

10 years ago...

Miami was a national power and looked unstopable
Boise state was just starting to get national attention
Alabama sucked
Oklahoma had just returned to being a power after a decade of being ******, same goes for Texas.
CU went to a BCS bowl
Nebraska had just started almost a decade of mediocrity after being considered one of the biggest dynasties of all time in the 90's
CSU was ranked fairly often
CSU and Fresno were considered big name non AQ teams. Not Utah, TCU or Boise.
Washington was a national power
Michigan was still pretty good
Colorado has won a conference title in every decade since the 60's, whats not to say they wont in this decade?

I can go on

Point is, a lot changes in 10 years. 10 years from now some of our current "powers" will no longer be, and some of the no names or programs that are down now will be good again. It can happen to any program taking steps forward or back. Colorado could be better than LSU, LSU could be better than CU. Both could be down, both could be good in 10 years.

Last edited:
So in the eyes of the national media, what are we then? Don't question my love for CU but I'll take a nice W over a L at LSU any day of the week. I don't believe CU is going to lose but I'd rather have a sure fire win at home, as I said. I've never given up on CU but I also know that this type of scheduling is not getting us anywhere and I know I'm not the only Buff fan that feels this way. This isn't the 1980's or 1990's where their are limited bowls. It's 2011 and we need to schedule as many wins as possible.

While I do appreciate a win... I would play a big boy any day of the week rather than a little BS school we beat up on and no one cares. We are not Nebraska or KSU here

I want to see us move to the Penn State model of scheduling.

Start with an absolute cupcake at home to get our feet wet and get a win.
Play a regional game against a mid-tier team in one of the two other games (CSU for now, since we're in a contract).
Play the third non-con game against a BCS opponent (not necessarily a great one, but sometimes yes).

The thread should have ended after this post.

2 > 1

OOC option 1
2021 @ South Dakota, CSU (Mile High), @ Idaho State

OOC option 2
2020 Northern Colorado (1 & Done), Air Force, @ LSU
2021 CSU (Boulder), @ AFA, LSU

remember we are going to be making a lot more money now so mo need for a return trip to Idaho state.

It's just weird how any discussion about a 2-game LSU series ten years out triggers a general discussion of CU's out of conference strength of schedule.

Not to beat a dead horse, but general consensus is that the OOC formula is as easy as ABC.
The A game is a non conference BCS school that would draw a TV audience.
The B game is a regional rivalry, like CSU
The C game is a cupcake, preferably devoured at home.

The ABC formula leaves CU with pretty good odds at being 2-1 by the end of in OOC play. A 3-0 record is not out of reach, specially when the A game is in Folsom, which is half the time.

It's understood that the 2011 Buff schedule is not ABC. It's more like AAB+Hawaii. There is no yummy cupcake C game in Boulder this year.

It's generally understood that this scheduling is NOT what CU fans want to see on a regular basis. This year is a one time event. Despite last minute efforts by both schools, Cal could not be avoided. Ohio State provides a much needed payday to offset revenue that is lost by CU exiting the B12. The end result is CU having the hardest schedule in the country, according to Phil Steele.

No one is arguing that CU should make a habit of this. This LSU home-home thread is NOT about routinely scheduling AAA or AAB or AAC. Let's take that off the table.

The debate appears to be whether CU should schedule an ABC or BCC formula. It appears Creatini, Jimmy, JRK and others want a BCC formula until the program can get back to eight win seasons. This group is either too caught up in the present or shows sceptism that CU will be capable of 8 win seasons within a 10 year window.

Under this formula, you could argue that Vanderbuilt or Northwestern are BCS, and therefore qualify as the A game. Basement dwelling BCS schools aren't big time games worthy of TV. Just to close the loophole, the BCS bottom feeders are B games.

Do Creatini, JRK, Jimmy and the "just get wins" faction want ABC or BCC?

To be clear, I want ABC. I see no reason why LSU shouldn't be the A team ten and eleven years from now.
Baton Rouge and New Orleans for a weekend football junket would be something to look forward to. The LSU game in Boulder would be electric. I say do it.

Other A games on my CU bucket list (campuses I'd like see on gameday before I'm non longer able to tailgate properly) include Virginia, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Iowa, Notre Dame, Penn State and Army. I am less curious about Alabama, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, Tennessee, and most of the B1G, ACC or Big East. I'd put LSU ahead of any of those based mostly on personal bias. I typically have a great time with people from Louisiana and would like to experience their hospitality.

Creatini - Does this make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the last ten years I find it more likely that we are mediocre ten years from now than it is that we are likely to beat LSU on the road.

Based on the last ten years I find it more likely that we are mediocre ten years from now than it is that we are likely to beat LSU on the road.

moronic post from someone that obviously knows very little about CU football.

CU on average has had a good spell every ten years for the past 50 years. In fact CU has won at least one conference title in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's.

In the early 80's we were just as bad if not worse than we are right now (losing to Drake twice). We went from a laughing stock to a national title contender in 6 years.

We are due for our resurgence and the odds are good it will happen again.

moronic post from someone that obviously knows very little about CU football.

CU on average has had a good spell every ten years for the past 50 years. In fact CU has won at least one conference title in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's.

In the early 80's we were just as bad if not worse than we are right now (losing to Drake twice). We went from a laughing stock to a national title contender in 6 years.

We are due for our resurgence and the odds are good it will happen again.
I hope you are right. I would love to see a home and away series with the Bayou Bengals.

2 > 1

OOC option 1
2021 North Texas, CSU (Mile High), Wyoming
I like this set up for the time being except we wouldn't go to an FCS stadium, and we wouldn't play South Dakota on the road either. Be nice to head into conference play 3-0.

Something to keep in mind with a total cupcake non-conference schedule is that almost guarantees that you'll get off to a slow start in conference play. You've got to be a little bit battle tested.

Something to keep in mind with a total cupcake non-conference schedule is that almost guarantees that you'll get off to a slow start in conference play. You've got to be a little bit battle tested.
So two cupcakes (North Texas and Wyoming or something) and then a lowly BCS team like Indiana or Vanderbilt or something of that nature?

Back