What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU MBB Official Game Thread: Buffs vs. Wyoming, 7pm

You forgot about the part where our starting backcourt took most of the night off.

Definitely not happy with the way Mayor and Ski have started the season. I was hoping Ski wouldn't be quite the chucker he was last year, but he seems exactly the same. Mayor just seems... off. He's not nearly the player that we're used to. He shows flashes, but on the whole, it's been ugly.

Both Spencer and Ski looked better toward the end of the second half. Lucky for us we have a couple tune ups in a row now.

Does Wyoming usually play like that? They play with a lot of effort and would be easy to root for....

...if I was a dumb**** bumpkin from Wyoming

The team is flat out of the gate every time and has to claw their way back.

Having some urgency and starting hot would be nice for once.

i'll take the win. Go Buffs!

Ugly win but they found a way to figure it out and keep Wyoming from running away with it. Team didn't lay down like previous years. I'm still pleased with the win. Josh Scott da man.

Dinwiddie will get it going. Not worried there. Booker still scares me tho.

Spencer and Ski have been off since late last year. Last 12 games for both of them:

Mayor: 28.4% FG %
Booker: 31.8% FG %

Both need to play considerably better if they're going to have the year they are capable of. Team needs to feed our big men more often, especially if the guards aren't hitting their shots.

Spencer affected the game in more ways then his shooting. Got some big fouls on Nance. Nailed some clutch FT's. Bad game all around and we still found a way to win. Can't wait to see them firing on all cylinders.

Only 3 points off the bench. Unbelievable.
All the freshmen were off.

Sure glad I have the PAC 12 network.....horrible announcers, as usual, but who cares.

I just think we are kind of starting out new again. Lots of youth and some new, key guys on the team. 'Dre is gone which is a huge hole to fill. New guys are being thrown into the mix. For instance, Talton was in at crunch time. I think Dinwiddie has probably put a lot of pressure on himself and is pressing. Tad is trying to figure all of this chemistry thing out. We'll get it figured out.

Quote from Tad on koa after the game. "The ceiling is really high for this team. Right now were playing in the basement."

Wyoming is just not a good matchup for Colorado. I'm glad we face them, but Shyatt just knows how to go toe to toe with Tad Boyle, Shyatt has got his number. This was never going to be an easy game, anyone expecting a complete blowout wasn't in touch with reality. Certainly a lot to improve on, but getting this win was extremely important. I'll take it -- but let this be a warning to the Buffs to not come out sleeping against CSU, Air Force, Harvard, Elon, UCSB or Arkansas State. They can't afford to overlook anyone, let alone this collection of dangerous opponents.

3 bench points tonight.

4 assists, 14 turnovers.

Does Wyoming usually play like that? They play with a lot of effort and would be easy to root for....

...if I was a dumb**** bumpkin from Wyoming

Larry Shyatt is a pretty solid coach, despite his debacle at Clemson. Wyoming typically does well OOC and then falls off a bit in conference play, although the MWC is looking more wide open this year than it has been in recent years, so they'll have a chance to do pretty well.

First off, that was painful to watch. When Wyoming went zone in the 1st half up until Tad went with full-court pressure to wake the team up, it was some of the most awful basketball I have ever seen. Not only was the offense completely inept, but the defense couldn't get stops.

But the bottom line, I think, is that we got a win and should learn from it.

From a style perspective, Wyoming is a terrible matchup. They pack the baseline, extend their guards, and dare you to beat them in the mid-range. On offense, they take good shots and all 5 guys immediately get back on defense to avoid giving up anything in the transition game.

Defensively, CU finally figured out to make Wyoming work their offense from 25-30 feet out and try to score by beating better athletes on dribble-drives.

Offensively, CU sort of figured out the need to attack the rim. Against that defense, the high post is open all day. We could have destroyed that defense by shooting 5-10 foot shots in the lane or driving across the lane to get the ball up on the glass or straight posting up Scott on the block. When we did that (while also making crisp passes side to side on the perimeter to move the defense and open driving lanes), offense became pretty easy and Wyoming had no choice but to foul.

We need to attack the rim. If this team's aggressive, they'll get out of their heads and start shooting better from outside.

From the free throw line, we've got some guys who are an adventure and there were some uncharacteristic misses down the stretch. But I'll take 70+% ever night, so I can't complain much there.

The freshmen need to start figuring it out now. In fact, the entire bench has let us down. We got all of 3 points from the bench on 1/7 shooting and 1/4 from the line. That has to change.

I think my biggest complaint tonight was a lack of energy and a lack of focus. Dominated the glass. Earned a ton of free throws. But 4 friggin' assists against 14 turnovers? That's bad basketball.

And probably the thing that made me feel good about the game is that it did feel in the 2nd half like Mayor, XJ and Ski were starting to figure things out in terms of roles and how they need to find their offense while still emphasizing getting the ball to Jam and Wes in the post.

Let's just hope we can keep booking wins while this team figures it out and grows. Tad made a comment after the game that this team has an extremely high ceiling, but that right now they're playing in the basement. Spot on summary.

2-1, and at the end of the day this was a quality win against a team that should win more games than it loses this year.

We're maybe the 7th or 8th best team in the conference right now.

I think we will get better as the year goes on, but we're really missing Roberson. I feel dumb for predicting this team would make a tournament run.

We're maybe the 7th or 8th best team in the conference right now.

I think we will get better as the year goes on, but we're really missing Roberson. I feel dumb for predicting this team would make a tournament run.

We are a pretty bad team right now.

Going 11 deep in the rotation is something Tad has never done at CU. We've mostly been 6-7 deep. So why now? Too many players not knowing how they fit in the puzzle. I'd also go 4 perimeter players around Scott. Give him room to work in there. Thomas as the Dufault-like hybrid.

they take good shots and all 5 guys immediately get back on defense to avoid giving up anything in the transition game.
Reminded me so much of the Celtics the last few years under Rivers. Didn't really even care about offensive rebounds. Just slow the game down and force the other team to make a play to score. I like that.

I'm just happy we earned a win tonight. Wyoming always has our number and we found a way to win, even with our team playing like ****. We have a young team that still needs time to gel. No need to panic yet but if we're still playing like this by the time Kansas rolls in we're in trouble.

Way too early to start predicting where we'll be in the conference. Everyone else is figuring **** out, too. If the Buffs are performing like this in late December, it'll be time for concern. For right now, in mid-November, let's just see how it plays out.

I would love to see a shot chart. We couldn't have taken more than 5 jumpers in the second half. Made 2, I think. Dinwiddie looked scared to take that last wide open 3. Ski, on the other hand, finally makes one, and then right on cue, jacks up another ill-advised jumper on the next trip. We need Hopkins or Fletcher or someone to step up on the perimeter or we're going to get rolled by good teams. We do a great jump penetrating the zone, but if we can't dish to the outside shot, we're in trouble. Scott was our savior tonight.

Way too early to start predicting where we'll be in the conference. Everyone else is figuring **** out, too. If the Buffs are performing like this in late December, it'll be time for concern. For right now, in mid-November, let's just see how it plays out.

Exactly!

All I'm really hoping for is that this team steadily improves and banks wins in the process.

The important thing with this stretch is to get to 5-1 before that Harvard game that kicks off the step up in competition level for the 2nd half of this tough non-conference schedule.

Attendance: 9,429
It looked like Tennessee-Martin redux at tipoff. It was a very late arriving crowd.

Tad has to keep playing the freshmen and see who steps up. He only has a six-man rotation right now (starters plus Talton) and he's always played eight or nine. There are only two more games, maybe two and a half, for the frosh to stake a claim for those two or three spots. Hopkins and Thomas look like the front runners. King hasn't shown anything, and Fletcher was horrible tonight.

It looked like Tennessee-Martin redux at tipoff. It was a very late arriving crowd.

Tad has to keep playing the freshmen and see who steps up. He only has a six-man rotation right now (starters plus Talton) and he's always played eight or nine. There are only two more games, maybe two and a half, for the frosh to stake a claim for those two or three spots. Hopkins and Thomas look like the front runners. King hasn't shown anything, and Fletcher was horrible tonight.
Fletcher struggled with the new rule tonight by not sliding his feet, Hopkins has struggled with that to (plus, that tech was bull****). King has shown he can rebound, but most thought he would RS.

Not bad. On TV it looked like there were lots of empty seats in a crowd that wasn't really into the game.

What is this TV you speak of. It was no where to be found on my comcast in the bay area. Even the SD channels were showing soccer and football replays.

Back