What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Men’s Lacrosse Defeats Arizona State 13-12 To Win 2014 MCLA National Championship

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Seidel scored the first goal of the game after tipping a pass during an ASU clear, getting the ground ball himself and finishing as the goalie rushed back to the cage. The Sun Devils responded with a Adam Beauchamp goal, and the teams then traded goals leading to a 2-2 tie with just under eight minutes remaining in the first.

Colorado scored the next two goals, one from Mitch Erickson with 3:13 left in the first quarter and another from Greg Kelsic almost two minutes into the second. That goal was created by Tyler Dougherty, who reached into the crease to pull out a rebound from a previous Buffs shot, allowing Kelsic to scoop the ball and put it in the back of the net. Dan Davis of ASU then scored his first of the game off a Cooper Pickell feed, but Seidel drove around right handed from behind the cage to give the two-goal lead back to the Buffs. The next two goals were by the Sun Devils, with tallies by Adam Beauchamp with 5:26 left in the half and Logan Quinn with only 15 seconds in the half.

Read more...

I wouldn't mind this being the next varsity sport for the Buffs. Anyone know if this is a possibility? What it would take?

I wouldn't mind this being the next varsity sport for the Buffs. Anyone know if this is a possibility? What it would take?

I'm guessing another women's sport to have the right amount of scholarships

Adding a women's swimming team and men's lacrosse would be great and the swim team would help keep us aligned with the Pac-12.

Based on Club success, those would be the 2 CU sports where it looks like we could build winners.

I know the Women's Varsity LAX team has one or two players from the old club team. From folks who know, how close would our men's LAX team be to competing at the Varsity level? Is a club national champion light years away from the big leagues, or is there not much of a difference?

I know the Women's Varsity LAX team has one or two players from the old club team. From folks who know, how close would our men's LAX team be to competing at the Varsity level? Is a club national champion light years away from the big leagues, or is there not much of a difference?

It's not as big a leap as in some other sports, but it would still be significant. Colorado Mesa is a DII team that beat us 10-4 in a preseason scrimmage. They finished the season 9-3. One of the schools in our league is actually an NAIA school that gives out scholarships- Westminster. They're going DII next year. Part of the reason there's some mobility there is that DI lacrosse only gets 12 scholarships, so no one gets a full ride. If you're paying tuition anyway, maybe you'd rather play club, be a stud, and win instead of riding the bench at a D1 school with a much larger time commitment. Especially since lacrosse is mostly for rich white kids, so their parents can afford it. We've got 2 kids on our team who are actually DI transfers- Jack Cranston and Greg Kelsic.

Another women's sport, I reckon. We need men's lacrosse. Folks would get really into it. Great sport to follow in spring. Makes the offseason so much better when you've got men's lacrosse and baseball to follow, not to mention tennis...men's NCAA playoffs are intense (thanks Bohn).

It's a fairly big leap if we're talking top notch men's lacrosse. I'm not taking anything away from our boys, but we would get rocked by the NCAA playoff regulars.

It's a fairly big leap if we're talking top notch men's lacrosse. I'm not taking anything away from our boys, but we would get rocked by the NCAA playoff regulars.

I'm not talking about competing with the likes of John's Hopkins, Princeton, North Carolina, Syracuse and DU. I'm just talking about being competitive. Kind of like how the Women's team did this year. DU has managed to get pretty darn good in a short period of time, in part, because they are the only D-1 Varsity program West of the Mississippi (or at least they were, I don't know if that's changed). There ought to be room for a few more teams out west, right?

I'm not talking about competing with the likes of John's Hopkins, Princeton, North Carolina, Syracuse and DU. I'm just talking about being competitive. Kind of like how the Women's team did this year. DU has managed to get pretty darn good in a short period of time, in part, because they are the only D-1 Varsity program West of the Mississippi (or at least they were, I don't know if that's changed). There ought to be room for a few more teams out west, right?

DU built their program with Canadians, and they still don't have a huge western presence- only 6 kids from Colorado and a dozen or so total from the west. The other D1 team west of the Mississippi is Air Force (weirdly, Air Force has 13 CO kids). A huge obstacle is the expense of travel and recruiting. Hopkins, for example, could recruit an entire high level team with a few hours in a car and play a high level schedule within an hour. CU would have to fly everywhere to recruit and play, and also convince teams to travel to play us instead of taking a game in the next town over (or even travel to play DU or Air Force). Additionally, there really aren't a ton of high level recruits coming from the west. There are a few, but for the most part lacrosse is a growing but secondary sport. Which is why the club programs are so strong. 7 of the 16 playoff programs were from the RMLC or SLC and another was Simon Fraser- from British Columbia. We're producing a LOT of that level recruits.

Frankly, the biggest issue is that the Pac 12 doesn't sponsor men's lacrosse, and won't any time soon. We only need one more school to adopt women's lacrosse for the conference to sponsor that sport, which of course means more content for the networks. They actually showed a few MPSF games this year.

Back