What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Offense vs. CU Defense in 2013

I have always been the ultimate glass half full guy until now. This time they are going to have to show me. So I feel very confident in saying 100% without reservation we will take the field and play offense next fall, beyond that I will withold judgment.
Damn that sure is a bold prediction.

Our talent at WR is impressive, to me at least. With the right type of offensive planning we could be a high scoring team.

The secondary is a problem. What ever we score we give it right back up.

I think that's delusional. We are going against OUR defense, with the QB having no fear of getting hit. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Paul Richardson has not proven he is a top receiver. Certainly he has big play capability and it's the first time I've seen that type of capability at CU in at least a decade. He could be top 5 in the conference, but I wouldn't etch it in stone just yet.

Jeff Thomas has showed some signs of being capable, but he's a freshman, and he hasn't met any PAC12 safeties laying wood yet.

Outside of PRich, we have a very below-average depth chart at WR that is basically a 5-7 scatback, a couple possession receivers that are solid, and a group of 4 true freshman yet to catch a pass in CFB. And if Gerald Thomas is still in the mix, he has yet to catch a pass that wasn't a bubble screen.

I'm concerned with how we match up to CSU and Fresno State, not the PAC12 depth charts. At any PAC12 school, this would be the largest red flag on their team. I guess it's just what we have become accustomed to.

I only expect them to not be worse than last year. How much better they'll be will be a mystery until the first gameday this year.

It's not much of a leap to say the offense will be better. It couldn't be much worse.

The defense couldn't be much worse, either. It also might not be much better.

I think that's delusional. We are going against OUR defense, with the QB having no fear of getting hit. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Paul Richardson has not proven he is a top receiver. Certainly he has big play capability and it's the first time I've seen that type of capability at CU in at least a decade. He could be top 5 in the conference, but I wouldn't etch it in stone just yet.

Jeff Thomas has showed some signs of being capable, but he's a freshman, and he hasn't met any PAC12 safeties laying wood yet.

Outside of PRich, we have a very below-average depth chart at WR that is basically a 5-7 scatback, a couple possession receivers that are solid, and a group of 4 true freshman yet to catch a pass in CFB. And if Gerald Thomas is still in the mix, he has yet to catch a pass that wasn't a bubble screen.

I'm concerned with how we match up to CSU and Fresno State, not the PAC12 depth charts. At any PAC12 school, this would be the largest red flag on their team. I guess it's just what we have become accustomed to.

I agree that at this point PRitch is vastly overrated by the CU fan base. He could be the real deal, but he hasn't proved much of anything yet.

Spruce is underrated.

Damn that sure is a bold prediction.

Glad you liked it, If your going out on the ledge why not go all the way,......... I also predict we will attempt to play defense, and given last years debacle I would consider it a massive upgrade if nobody was able to hang half a hundred on us.

I agree that at this point PRitch is vastly overrated by the CU fan base. He could be the real deal, but he hasn't proved much of anything yet.

Spruce is underrated.
When PRich has been healthy he has proven that he is a top quality Pac 12 WR. But...he hasn't been able to put together a full season...yet.

The return of PRich improves our receiving corps greatly but to say our WR talent is impressive is way over the top. I think if PRich stay healthy we will be serviceable. Remember we lost Kasa at Tight end and may lose Hobbs due to illness in his family. Both of them were more effective last season then GT. GT is fast and quick but needs to refine his WR techniques and skills.

So here's a question... When will we actually have a good or even average defense? Obviously this year will tell a lot on our younger pieces but we'll still lose two starting LB's, our best pass rusher (CUD), and possibly the two starting safeties after this year

If the WR corps is considered to be a question mark then it's going to be a long, long year because that's the strongest & deepest part of the team.

Our talent at WR is impressive, to me at least. With the right type of offensive planning we could be a high scoring team.

The secondary is a problem. What ever we score we give it right back up.

Yes, WR group si more impressive this spring than last year, AND will be even more impressive over the course of the season. This will definitely
Help the offense move the ball and put more points on the board, AND help the secondary improve in practice....will pay dividends as last year they saw nothing close in practice to what they saw in games every week.

AND, correct me if wrong, but our D is littered with youth more so than the O, so I think that helps them be better than the D this spring.

Agree that it is better that O is putting up numbers on our lame D than not being able to move the ball against them.

So here's a question... When will we actually have a good or even average defense? Obviously this year will tell a lot on our younger pieces but we'll still lose two starting LB's, our best pass rusher (CUD), and possibly the two starting safeties after this year

2014. Several upperclassmen along the DL and at CB. The last thing I am worried about is losing two LBs after this season. CUD? Maybe. The safeties? Does not really look good either way.

The only way CU wins 3-4 games this year, which most here agree would be showing signs of improvement, is for the offense to score 30+ per game. If they can't do that against our defense there is no way in hell they'll do it during the year. I for one am glad to see the O tear up the D. We're going to have to score a lot of points to have a chance as I don't see our defense being much better than last year. Even if we reduced our against average by 10 points per game we'd still give up over 30 and it's doubtful we'll be able to do that based on what we've seen so far. That first game should tell us everything we need to know about our prospects this year.

It is probably a good idea to remember how bad we were last year and hope for an improvement over that. Not being last in almost everything is an improvement.

Start low and enjoy any improvement

CU O vs. CU D?

medium_SM1082~Cripple-Fight-Posters.jpg

It is probably a good idea to remember how bad we were last year and hope for an improvement over that. Not being last in almost everything is an improvement.

Start low and enjoy any improvement
Unfortunately I must agree in principal with this line of thinking. Very few of us fans actually believe a bowl is in our sites this year and 2014 is still murky. I am encouraged that perhaps the O will improve this year and not only leave its 120 or so national ranking behind but I believe we will not be last in Offense in the Pac 12 this year. I am guessing #10 on offense. This of course presumes that one or 2 of our QBs emerge as legitimate BCS caliber players.

Unfortunately I am less confident our D will be much improved. But if we could get it to be top 100 nationally (even if it is last in the Pac 12) that would indeed be an improvement. Combined with a reasonably improved offense I would assume that puts us at 3-4 wins this year.

When we have an offense with a pulse. I have wanted us to be more pass heavy since before Dan Hawkins and due to what was happening in the Big 12. I think with HCMM, I finally get my wish. We will have to pass the ball very good in order to win in the Pac-12 South.

Back