1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU Pac-12 Media Day Notes

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

http://www.cubuffs.com//pdf8/774298.pdf

Lots of interesting notes in there, but I went back and looked at the post-spring depth chart in particular. Some observations:

1. Is it any wonder why we have taken on several WRs in the 2011 and 2012 classes? Also shows why it is a good bet that the true freshmen will get every chance for playing time this year.

2. The career of Blake Behrens is baffling. He went from a multi-game starter to being absolutely buried on the depth chart as a senior (I realize he was injured this spring and has fought other injuries).

3. There is a whole lot to be settled in the secondary.

4. Depth is spotty in several places, but particularly at LB. Daigh, Greer, and maybe Harlos will have a chance to get early playing time. I really hope Mahnke is not a starter come September.

2. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I look at punt returner and I would like not to see arguably our two best playmakers taking shots on ST but then again I like the idea of actually returning a punt more than 5 yards....

3. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I had no idea Jered Bell was that far down the depth chart at corner. He needs to step it up or we're screwed this year.

Agree with you, there's no way I want to see Mahnke starting. Can Webb slide over and play that ILB spot?

I guess I'm the only one, but DE depth scares the hell out me. Most of our depth there are former walk-ons..

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Is it news that Alex Kelley is grayshirting due to a broken ankle in June?

Edit: also notable is that using up his and Rashad Hall's scholly for the fall will be David Goldberg and Tony Poremba. Iverson is also now on scholly.

More Edit: Interesting that Kasa is now buried as #3 on the depth chart at DE.

Mmiller is the #1 guard in the nation according to Steele.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think it is worth the risk if one of the two guys can separate himself. Hopefully Lockridge is ready to go and resume duties on kickoffs.

6. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Punts are returnable?

7. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Logan Gray should be our returner. Jack Harris will be our next great lineman. I do not want to see Mahnke or Jaffee having to chase anyone. No true freshman here (except for walk-ons), Will Oliver might win the PK job. Kasa, Pugh, Bell, and Behrens = disappointments.

8. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Orms and Jaffee starting at CB is a motivational ploy imo

9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Right corner is scary. Putting our two best offensive weapons at risk returning punts scares me. Seeing the depth chart on paper I am nervous about this team.

10. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Remember when Darian Hagan was the punt returner in 1991?

11. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Agree with Logan, guys got a ton of D-1 experience under pressure, and wheels.

12. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

They have Eric Richter listed as a JR is that correct? I was under the impression this was his last year of eligibility?

13. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

\

The question is do you remember all the towels he had hanging off of him when he did? I gave him **** about it on the sidelines once and he laughed and said he thought it made him look faster.

14. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I thought he had two as a Juco grad.

15. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

the corner position is really scary to look at..

16. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I don't understand the desire to not put your best returners back in PR & KR for fear of injury. Good KRs & PRs can really turn a game for you. I'm of the opinion you put the best talent out on the field period.

17. ZKobalt

ZKobalt Well-Known Member

We're up next

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Can I neg rep the rss bot? Has Embree's comments in the a.s. you "up next" thread.

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It comes down to philosophy, IMO. If you don't put a lot of stock into the importance of special teams, you don't put your best players on special teams. If you are of the opinion that special teams can and does win games, you make sure your best players play special teams.

20. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Corner looks real scary. Front 7 better be real good.

21. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

We have to put every emphasis on special teams. We've all seen what not prioritizing it looked like, and it wasn't pretty. I know it's risky since we don't exactly have a ton of depth, but it's a risk that probably needs to be taken for this team to have that much more of a chance at getting bowl eligible. The Buffs are likely going to be in a bunch of close games this season, breaking a punt could be the difference. (And making fg's from less than 45 and never hitting a post again, and punting more than 30 yds and actually getting hangtime...I'll be interested to see if Castor and Grossnickle remain the top guys. O'Neill looks solid punting, and Wilhelm should provide some strong competition for kicking. No reason to not have strong kicking at this altitude.

On another note, I'm optimistic about what this offense can do. Hopefully Tyler's leadership proves beneficial and we can get the passing game going and really open up the run. Should put up better numbers than we have in years now, and given the state of the secondary, we're going to need it right off the bat as we might find ourselves in one hell of a shootout in Hawaii unless we can completely dominate possession even more than expected. At least Hawaii is going to have a bunch of n00b O-Line and WR's out there, hopefully give us some time to get a feel and get up 10-14.