What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Pro Day

Really impressive work by Scotty. No question that this can only improve his stock. The issue is that we all are so surprised about his 40 time, because his "game speed" never looked that impressive. That is still an obstacle for him to overcome, but he has clearly put in the work to put his best foot forward. Everybody knew he was a route technician, but couple that with dramatically improved speed and he has positioned himself well.

CJ/Klatt were saying that one of the CU coaches (unnamed, but might have been Cabral), said "We didn't know he could run that fast because he always had to stop running to catch the ball."

It's the continued news/reports like this that continue to build confidence for next year....if the new coaches utilize the talent at hand instead of just do what "they" want to do because "they" said so, improvement and progress will happen much quicker than expected

Can someone confirm where they ran the 40? If it was in the Balch Feild House, this would almost single handedly explain why the times were soooo much faster than expected. If run in the Bubble, then :wow:.....those ARE fast.

CJ/Klatt were saying that one of the CU coaches (unnamed, but might have been Cabral), said "We didn't know he could run that fast because he always had to stop running to catch the ball."

Truer words rarely spoken....

If they ran in the fieldhouse, times there have been historicallt fast, can't tell you why but they seem to be.

If they really taped SM at 5'11", I'd be surprised, but at ProDay I doubt they would fudge, so maybe I am wrong in thinking he isn't that tall.

Last edited:

If they ran in the fieldhouse, times there have been historicallt fast, can't tell you why but they seem to be.

The surface in Balch is a track surface, which almost as importantly, you can wear indoor track shoes to run on.. It will consistently provide a 0.1-0.15 faster time than anything you can run on a ProTurf surface, which has a lot more "give" to it.

If they really taped SM at 5'11", I'd be surprised, but at ProDay I doubt they would fudge, so maybe I am wrong in thinking he isn't that tall.

I was surprised to see Welker is only listed at 5'9" given that I'd imagine even if he doesn't make his listed height McKnight is bigger.

The surface in Balch is a track surface, which almost as importantly, you can wear indoor track shoes to run on.. It will consistently provide a 0.1-0.15 faster time than anything you can run on a ProTurf surface, which has a lot more "give" to it.

Thanks. Just outof curiosity I went back and looked at Jimmy Smith's 40 time at the combine. It was posted as a 4.46 which is pretty damn fast. His time at proday was 4.39, so I think your theory is correct. I really find it hard to believe SM is a sub-4.5 guy on a playing surface. I would love to see the guy get a shot and do well....I just remain skeptical.

Can someone confirm where they ran the 40? If it was in the Balch Feild House, this would almost single handedly explain why the times were soooo much faster than expected. If run in the Bubble, then :wow:.....those ARE fast.
I believe everything was done in the bubble...

Here's Nate:
[video=youtube;KQVGtrqmy9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVGtrqmy9g&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

Thanks. Just outof curiosity I went back and looked at Jimmy Smith's 40 time at the combine. It was posted as a 4.46 which is pretty damn fast. His time at proday was 4.39, so I think your theory is correct. I really find it hard to believe SM is a sub-4.5 guy on a playing surface. I would love to see the guy get a shot and do well....I just remain skeptical.

That's about right. The scouts will take the laser time from the ProTurf surface every day of the week over anything on a track surface....the latter is simply too difficult to translate into an apples to apples comparison.

And Jimmy's time in Indy is FAST. That is a MUCH beter time than what he ran today IMO (if it was in Balch).

Last edited:
I sent Plati an email asking about where the timings were done and he responded that all were done in the Bubble!

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17574665?source=rss

Not sure if the vid above will work, good stuff.

And I never realized what a fatass Jalil is. Mix in a salad would ya fatty?
Courtesy of the Daily Camera
1211251298_yFceV-M.jpg

Wow, really hard to believe about Scotty, but good for him. That said, didn't umm.. crap can't remember his name.. safety last year, converted corner, had injury issues, he ran some blistering time at the CU pro day last year and didn't even get a shot at the NFL if I recall correctly. All Scotty needs is a shot, though.

cannot believe that 40 time. sorry.

Yep. I have been a consistent supporter of McKnight, but that time is very suspect. I still think he will get a shot, but if Scotty really does run in the 4.4 range, we have one of the fastest teams in college football.

(Hint: we are not a fast team)

Yep. I have been a consistent supporter of McKnight, but that time is very suspect. I still think he will get a shot, but if Scotty really does run in the 4.4 range, we have one of the fastest teams in college football.

(Hint: we are not a fast team)

What does he usually run a 4.5 /4.6?

Wow, really hard to believe about Scotty, but good for him. That said, didn't umm.. crap can't remember his name.. safety last year, converted corner, had injury issues, he ran some blistering time at the CU pro day last year and didn't even get a shot at the NFL if I recall correctly. All Scotty needs is a shot, though.
Benjamin Burney

I was never a fan of Pittman, but at the same time you cannot compare what our guys do after they are done with football and are in preparation for the combine/pro days. I doubt Scotty was watching his intake as well as training for events while he was a study; late nights and/or partying can wreak havoc on your body. Once you start specializing in various "events" you can get a lot better at them. Just the way our bodies work.

That being said, Nate's bench press of 21 reps is more of an indication of Pittman, since you can't expect drastic improvements in months on a compound lift.

Scotty said the first day at this camp he went to for training he could only put up 2 reps at 225, he put up 13 reps today.

This is good news for Scotty and bad news for Scotty. He probably cost himself some money on his intitial contract since he likely moved himself into the seventh or even the sixth round. As a late draft choice his contract will pretty much be a slotted take it or leave it offer at or not much over the minimum. As a free agent he could have had multiple teams wanting his services meaning that he would have gotten more money due to signing bonus.

On the other hand he will get a better shot at making the roster since teams tend to give a longer look at draft choices.

video on Buffzone.com. Cool what Mark Sanchez did for Scotty. But still think it will be difficult for Mcknight to get drafted, hope i am wrong. I know one thing for sure, he will be at a NFL teams training camp.

Just a question for anyone who knows. Travon Patterson came to CU with the idea of showing his skills for a shot at the league. Unfortunately with a combination of injuries and a coach who wouldn't know how to use a player with athletic talent if somebody gave him a book explaining it his season turned out to be kind of a bust.

I didn't see his name listed as participating in CU pro day, is he going to participate in some pro days in California? Is he still injured? I assume he was only at CU for one semester then gone so he is probably back in California.

I dunno if people missed it or what but it's comical watching Solder smoosh Russell in post 45....but seeimg the dirty interview and all the other tests. Good vid

Happy to hear about McKnight. It has been my opinion for the past year or so that he would be an un-drafted free agent who somehow found his way to the NY Jets organization. Maybe with this pro-day he made it into the 3rd day, maybe not. I am still saying that he ends up with the Jets somehow. Best of luck to him regardless.

Just a question for anyone who knows. Travon Patterson came to CU with the idea of showing his skills for a shot at the league. Unfortunately with a combination of injuries and a coach who wouldn't know how to use a player with athletic talent if somebody gave him a book explaining it his season turned out to be kind of a bust.

I didn't see his name listed as participating in CU pro day, is he going to participate in some pro days in California? Is he still injured? I assume he was only at CU for one semester then gone so he is probably back in California.

I read somewhere he returned to California and graduated from USC.

Here's an update on his nfl bid

Travon's agent says, "And if he hadn’t been injured with an ankle injury this season, he would have dominated at Colorado. It’s my job to remind people what they loved about Travon’s athleticism and character before he got hurt – this young man deserves an NFL shot. He’s earned it."

I read somewhere he returned to California and graduated from USC.

Here's an update on his nfl bid

Travon's agent says, "And if he hadn’t been injured with an ankle injury this season, he would have dominated at Colorado. It’s my job to remind people what they loved about Travon’s athleticism and character before he got hurt – this young man deserves an NFL shot. He’s earned it."

I wish him all the best, but I didn't see anything that indicated to me that he was going to dominate anything at Colorado.

Back