What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Rebranding image

This sounds like payola. I hope it's not and CU got more for its money than what I read, but holy crap.

I think we're missing the big picture here. Is the person that designed the logo a 5 star QB's dad? Cause then I'm fine with it.

The Camera didn't buy the Times Call. The parent company that owns the Camera, the Post, and about 60 other papers bought Lehman Communications, which operates four local papers.

Even so, this sucks. It sucks hard. I know Dean Lehman and I know this has to be eating him alive. I just pray to God the Times Call doesn't descend to the depths of sucktitude that the Daily Camera has.

I understand I simply wrote it as the Camera bought the Times Call for effect, since it could lead to "the Times Call descending into the depths of sucktitude that the Daily Camera has" (as you so eloquently put it).

Yeah. "MediaNews Group buys Lehman Communications" wouldn't have been much of a headline for the football forum.

Actually, I don't know if this thread shouldn't go to the Pub anyway. Maybe one of the other mods will move it. Or not.

I traded the cost of designing my company logo for preparing a quarterly sales tax report for the guy who did it. Unfortunately, that is somewhat less than a $750k value...

does not sound like you're a very good accountant then....

:smile2:

This has to be the same marketing wizkid that came up with "Legends & Leaders"...has to be.

big-ten-logo-newjpg-643c1c636c8f3c0e.jpg

Last edited:
I can't. Even. Read. This.

Are those ****ing cocksuckers who authorized this going to go down to Denver again with their hands out and beg for more money?

Seriously, what is/was wrong with the logo that we had before they screwed it up with the italics back in 05? When something isn't broke, don't fix it. That logo is all over campus on stuff that will last hundreds of years, dont mess it! Continue some damn tradition!

honestly, there needs to be some accountability. who is the one to authorize this and allow for such an outrageous cost?

Is there a regent e-mail address? if so, someone should be made to explain

go Buffs

Seriously, what is/was wrong with the logo that we had before they screwed it up with the italics back in 05? When something isn't broke, don't fix it. That logo is all over campus on stuff that will last hundreds of years, dont mess it! Continue some damn tradition!

You're thinking of the the Ralphie/sports logo, this is the general university logo that they changed.

all it means is that there's even MORE different logos all over campus. are they going to un-engrave the old CU "logos" off the inside of Macky, edifice of Woodbury, the sandstone signs around the edge of campus etc. (all with diff logos) and re-inscribe the "new" one?

no, they aren't. so add one more to the mix.

I believe they have a slogan and theme song to do too...

I have heard rumblings about an ad campaign called "Let's Go Buffin'", set to Beach Boys music...

You. Asshole.

Now I am humming 'Let's go Surfing now,' to 'Let's go Buffin' now, everybodies learning how, come on and go Buffin with meeeeee!' and trying to figure out the rest of the the words. Thanks asshole. lol

From the article:
"We not only expect to recoup the cost of the project, but we expect to have a substantial return on our investment beyond that initial money we paid," McConnellogue said.

I wanna know: How do they expect this recoupment/ROI to take place? Over what time period do they expect the recoupment to take place. How much is the ROI going to be? What do they plan on doing with the money?

Or is this all smoke that's being blown up our collective asses?

Also from the comments section after the article:

Couldn't a visual design student do that in about a day, for 500 bucks? or why not have a student competition to find the best logo?

Good ****ing point.

A successful branding campaign can pay dividends. It sets you apart from your competition. I have concerns that we may not really know who our competition is or why we are setting about a rebranding campaign in the first place, though. In all seriousness, I think CU is pretty well branded already.

images

This is how the vast majority of people view the University of Colorado. The athletic department at most schools serves at the brand recognition. Seriously, what do you think of when you think of the University of Texas?

longhorns-logo1.jpg

You think of this, right? You think they need to spend anymore money on a branding campaign?

A successful branding campaign can pay dividends. It sets you apart from your competition. I have concerns that we may not really know who our competition is or why we are setting about a rebranding campaign in the first place, though. In all seriousness, I think CU is pretty well branded already.

images

This is how the vast majority of people view the University of Colorado. The athletic department at most schools serves at the brand recognition. Seriously, what do you think of when you think of the University of Texas?

longhorns-logo1.jpg

You think of this, right? You think they need to spend anymore money on a branding campaign?

Good points.

Now, first off, this seems like a lot of money for a rebranding effort. I worked for a very large web brand during a brand value / rebranding project, and for high-profile organizations (public or private), it's critical to get it right. I recall we spent about $300K on ours, which included some very comprehensive surveying and brand image testing. It usually entails testing your brand against competitors, and includes brand values as well. If you get your logo and brand positioning wrong (edgy versus conservative, etc), and your brand doesn't resonate with new customers and/ or alienates your existing customers, it can cost you a hell of a lot more than a few hundred K. At the end of the process, our logo changed very little; but the reasons behind why the change was subtle were clearly spelled out by the brand research firm. So it was better than letting Johnny McGraphics go wild with Adobe CS5.

That all being said, I think this logo is unimpressive at best. I'd love to see the Brand Value document that should have come with it. As Sackman said- if the logo is all they got (doubtful), then they got the equivalent of a prison tattoo.

President Benson sent out an email newsletter on this topic. Sounds like those in this thread aren't the only ones wondering about the price tag. Here's the newsletter (modification of the email address to minimize bot spamming is from me):
--------------------------

Many of you have been receiving my e-newsletter for some time and others are new to it. We have substantially expanded the list of alumni and friends with whom we are sharing the good news and challenges at the University of Colorado. It's important for us to engage you in our efforts to advance the economy, health and culture of Colorado and the nation.

The university and its four campuses are a collection of diverse people, programs and places. That scope can make telling its stories a challenge. But in doing so, we are focusing our efforts on four pillars of excellence and impact that encompass all we do: learning and teaching, discovery and innovation, health and wellness, and community and culture.

It is equally important to focus our visual images. Over the course of many years, CU's campuses, colleges and departments, and administrative units have independently projected different images. The result is a problem: several hundred different and sometimes-competing messages and images. In a world of information overload and visual clutter, that is inefficient and ineffective.

To remedy the situation, we undertook a branding project with the help of Landor, one of the most highly regarded firms in the field. The project was paid for with initiative funds, interest earned on CU investments. No state funding, tuition or donor money was diverted. Some misinterpret the project as simply updating a logo. But branding is much more than logos. It is the emotional feeling our constituents have about the university resulting from their collective perceptions and interactions with us. We shape that feeling in great measure by how we present ourselves.

The project, which began more than two years ago, was extensive and involved a wide swath of our constituents. It started with quantitative research, surveys sent to some 40,000 alumni, donors, business and community leaders, and faculty, staff and students. About 12,000 were returned. We also did in-depth personal interviews with many of our key constituents, from our top donors to legislators to faculty, staff and student leaders. We did a peer analysis of six universities and systems similar to CU. We undertook a situational analysis of our own campuses. The research drove several rounds of message and visual image development.

The result is a roadmap for presenting CU to its key constituents in consistent, coordinated ways. It will also allow us to be efficient and effective in our use of resources. Each of the hundreds of images now in use has a direct cost in terms of design for print and electronic publications, photography and human resources, as well as an indirect cost of presenting CU in fragmented, muddled ways.

Effective branding will also be critical as we embark on a comprehensive fundraising campaign, which will be announced this spring.

In many ways, the project is a great investment in the university's future, one that will have a lasting impact. Its outcomes will include greater efficiency and effectiveness in our messages and visual images, consistency and coordination in our efforts, successful fundraising, better engagement with our key constituents, and enhanced ability to convey the collective excellence and impact of the University of Colorado. And for an institution with a great story to tell about how it changes lives and improves our world, those outcomes are critical.

You can provide feedback to officeofthepresident at cu dot edu.

Sincerely,
benson_sig.jpg

Bruce D. Benson
President

That scope can make telling its stories a challenge. But in doing so, we are focusing our efforts on four pillars of excellence and impact that encompass all we do: learning and teaching, discovery and innovation, health and wellness, and community and culture.

the four pillars and innovation....i wish i got paid to write nonsense like that.

President Benson sent out an email newsletter on this topic. Sounds like those in this thread aren't the only ones wondering about the price tag. Here's the newsletter (modification of the email address to minimize bot spamming is from me):
--------------------------

Many of you have been receiving my e-newsletter for some time and others are new to it. We have substantially expanded the list of alumni and friends with whom we are sharing the good news and challenges at the University of Colorado. It's important for us to engage you in our efforts to advance the economy, health and culture of Colorado and the nation.

The university and its four campuses are a collection of diverse people, programs and places. That scope can make telling its stories a challenge. But in doing so, we are focusing our efforts on four pillars of excellence and impact that encompass all we do: learning and teaching, discovery and innovation, health and wellness, and community and culture.

It is equally important to focus our visual images. Over the course of many years, CU's campuses, colleges and departments, and administrative units have independently projected different images. The result is a problem: several hundred different and sometimes-competing messages and images. In a world of information overload and visual clutter, that is inefficient and ineffective.

To remedy the situation, we undertook a branding project with the help of Landor, one of the most highly regarded firms in the field. The project was paid for with initiative funds, interest earned on CU investments. No state funding, tuition or donor money was diverted. Some misinterpret the project as simply updating a logo. But branding is much more than logos. It is the emotional feeling our constituents have about the university resulting from their collective perceptions and interactions with us. We shape that feeling in great measure by how we present ourselves.

The project, which began more than two years ago, was extensive and involved a wide swath of our constituents. It started with quantitative research, surveys sent to some 40,000 alumni, donors, business and community leaders, and faculty, staff and students. About 12,000 were returned. We also did in-depth personal interviews with many of our key constituents, from our top donors to legislators to faculty, staff and student leaders. We did a peer analysis of six universities and systems similar to CU. We undertook a situational analysis of our own campuses. The research drove several rounds of message and visual image development.

The result is a roadmap for presenting CU to its key constituents in consistent, coordinated ways. It will also allow us to be efficient and effective in our use of resources. Each of the hundreds of images now in use has a direct cost in terms of design for print and electronic publications, photography and human resources, as well as an indirect cost of presenting CU in fragmented, muddled ways.

Effective branding will also be critical as we embark on a comprehensive fundraising campaign, which will be announced this spring.

In many ways, the project is a great investment in the university's future, one that will have a lasting impact. Its outcomes will include greater efficiency and effectiveness in our messages and visual images, consistency and coordination in our efforts, successful fundraising, better engagement with our key constituents, and enhanced ability to convey the collective excellence and impact of the University of Colorado. And for an institution with a great story to tell about how it changes lives and improves our world, those outcomes are critical.

You can provide feedback to officeofthepresident at cu dot edu.

Sincerely,
benson_sig.jpg

Bruce D. Benson
President

And now we have a single point of annoyance. Mission accomplished, and lives simplified.

That scope can make telling its stories a challenge. But in doing so, we are focusing our efforts on four pillars of excellence and impact that encompass all we do: learning and teaching, discovery and innovation, health and wellness, and community and culture.

the four pillars and innovation....i wish i got paid to write nonsense like that.

And the following, no doubt straight out of the Landor brochure on how to sell this to your customers:

"But branding is much more than logos. It is the emotional feeling our constituents have about the university resulting from their collective perceptions and interactions with us."

And the following, no doubt straight out of the Landor brochure on how to sell this to your customers:

"But branding is much more than logos. It is the emotional feeling our constituents have about the university resulting from their collective perceptions and interactions with us."

seriously. the ad cult classic "lovemarks" is all about this crap. we are CU sports, not Apple. Benson is a petroleum neocon or now "energy" honk.....not a touchy/feely sensitive type. this is goofball cynicism and a bit creepy to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Lovemarks-Future-Beyond-Kevin-Roberts/dp/1576872041

That is the longest letter I have ever read that said absolutely nothing. CU constantly complains about not having enough money or public funding. I am calling bull****. If they piss away money on something as stupid as this they must be rolling in it.

That is the longest letter I have ever read that said absolutely nothing.

CU has been getting really good at that. Bohn "letters" that tell CU students they are the best fans in the conference (really?)....and then some PR friendly reprimand.

the guy may be a good AD, but his "communications" are textbook lame.

Well, it looks like BB has mastered the art of the bull****. IMO, branding is what you do when your product is for ****. You are selling an ideal rather than a superior product. CU is a superior product in many ways and spending dough on branding is a waste...unless you are planning to fully engage in hucksterism.

I'll disagree that branding is what you do when you have an inferior product. Branding can be a very important part of your marketing efforts. I still maintain that CU already has a brand, though. A very successful one that didn't need to be messed with:

Colorado%20Buffaloes.jpg

This is what people think of when they think of CU. I realize this doesn't encompass all four campuses, but it does encompass CU.

I'll disagree that branding is what you do when you have an inferior product. Branding can be a very important part of your marketing efforts. I still maintain that CU already has a brand, though. A very successful one that didn't need to be messed with:

Colorado%20Buffaloes.jpg

This is what people think of when they think of CU. I realize this doesn't encompass all four campuses, but it does encompass CU.

Maybe what I said was harsh, but in many instances, it is true. A brand can create an image with the public, one that entities often exploit while reducing the quality of their product to increase profit. (See McDonald's)

Colorado%20Buffaloes.jpg

This is the CU brand in my opinion as well and a darn good one. Too bad they are intent on ruining it by slanting the CU lettering in the buffalo. Looks bush league to me.

Back