What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Regents turn down Rick George's request to forgive AD debt

Saw Dave Matthews Band at Folsom, good stuff. It is a great venue, if they can get the sound system fixed and the acoustics figured out.

ITB and I saw The Who at Folsom, 1989. I was so wasted I barely remember the show.

The AD does not exist on an island. This is the school's problem as much as the ADs problem. The school needs to realize they cannot get the benefits of a good AD without support (including financial). If the school is going to realize the benefits, then the school must share in the cost. This is a fundamental, major problem with the operations in Boulder. I really don't know why the school bothers with athletics when they treat it like a red headed stepchild.

The whole "pay tuition at the out of state rate"-thing is beginning to grate on me more and more as it sets up an unlevel playing field vs. our competition.

How about this as a compromise:
1) University immediately changes athletic scholarship tuition to the instate rate effective Spring Semester 2014
2) Athletic Department continues to pay athlete scholarship tuition at the out of state
3) The difference between the two will be pay down of the $22m loan the AD owns the university
4) When the loan is paid off, the AD will then move down to paying the instate rate for athletic scholarships

This gives the AD a way to pay off the debt AND move to a competitive athletic scholarship tuition rate with our peers. It gives the university time to adjust to the lower tuition received from the AD down the road.

I'm going to guess and say there are about 200 full athletic scholarships out there for CU. The delta between instate and out of state tuition is roughly $9k/semester, so that has the AD paying back the loan at $1.8M/semester or $3.6M/year
http://www.colorado.edu/catalog/2012-13/content/tuition-tables

Even at a 5% interest rate, the AD would have the loan paid off in under 8 years without having to dip in to additional revenue sources. Problem solved.

Thoughts?

Given how difficult it is for out-of-state students to get in-state tuition rates, I think the likelihood of athletes being given in-state tuition status (particularly those who are from out of state) is infinitesimally low.

I don't even think the AD should be at in-state rate for all athletes. Something other schools do is charge scholarships at the average between the resident and non-resident tuition for all athletes. Given CU's reliance on out-of-state athletes in order to field competitive athletic teams, that would go a long way toward balancing the playing field.

It's just mind boggling and embarrassing to me that csu funds a 15 million dollar deficit every year for their athletic department but cu cannot help out with a 19 million dollar debt in any way that has been accrued over almost 8 years

It's just mind boggling and embarrassing to me that csu funds a 15 million dollar deficit every year for their athletic department but cu cannot help out with a 19 million dollar debt in any way that has been accrued over almost 8 years

It is embarrassing. Remember though that CSU doesn't have to answer to elected politicians.

Doesnt the state ag board or some **** oversee CSU?

I don't even think the AD should be at in-state rate for all athletes. Something other schools do is charge scholarships at the average between the resident and non-resident tuition for all athletes. Given CU's reliance on out-of-state athletes in order to field competitive athletic teams, that would go a long way toward balancing the playing field.

Don't most schools use actual cost of attendance as the benchmark for tuition, i.e. taking out the profit built into out-of-state tuition and the subsidy from the state for in-state? Considering that the state provides only 5% of the total funds to the University, charging the AD for actual cost of attendance would probably lower the tuition considerably, but wouldn't get anywhere near the in-state rate. CU has always used out-of-state to subsidize in-state rates because of the low contribution from the legislature.

Don't most schools use actual cost of attendance as the benchmark for tuition, i.e. taking out the profit built into out-of-state tuition and the subsidy from the state for in-state? Considering that the state provides only 5% of the total funds to the University, charging the AD for actual cost of attendance would probably lower the tuition considerably, but wouldn't get anywhere near the in-state rate. CU has always used out-of-state to subsidize in-state rates because of the low contribution from the legislature.

I believe "Actual Cost" is the norm. Most schools don't gouge their Athletic Department on scholarship costs.

Regardless, changing the way the school charges the AD affects the school's revenue so I don't see them going for it. Even if it's the right thing to do and in line with peer institutions, at the end of the day you're still reducing AD expenses by reducing school revenue so it would still look like a "give back" from the school's perspective.

ESPN:
Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference was something school president R. Bowen Loftin called a "100-year decision" when it occurred. Turns out it was one of several factors that helped contribute to hundreds of millions in increased donations for the school. The university raised more than $740 million in donations in the past fiscal year, the school announced on Tuesday.
Of the total, $351 million went to the Texas A&M Foundation and $271.5 million went to the 12th Man Foundation, according to the Bryan-College Station Eagle.
"People ask me all the time if you have a winning football team, do you raise more money," Davis told the Bryan-College Station Eagle. "In normal times, the statistical data wouldn't support that, but in an era where we are in, effectively, in the news everywhere and you have a young man like our quarterback who has been a media magnet and you have the success you have, I do think that euphoria does spill over into success in fundraising. I'm hoping we can keep it up."

So we need a media magnet?

One of the big disappointments is that moving to the PAC 12 did not result in increased donations from the CU Alum in California...we got no pop whatsoever. And we were promised a pop.

You know what? I'm frustrated by the lack of information on the state of the AD. Where are we? What are we doing about it? What is the university administration doing to support athletics? What are the short and long term goals and plans? What are donors doing and saying? The perception in the media, for sure, is that the university does not support athletics. While I've been hopeful that isn't true, I am now beginning to wonder. Rick George, early on, and this is just my perception, is much less "public" than Mike Bohn was. And I'm fine with that because I felt like Mike was more talk than action. But, man, I'm frustrated.

One of the big disappointments is that moving to the PAC 12 did not result in increased donations from the CU Alum in California...we got no pop whatsoever. And we were promised a pop.
Who constitutes "we"?

When you are closer to your alumni, and you put a good product on the field, you should be able to increase donations. We achieved one half of the equation while failing miserably on the second.

And make no mistake - all momentum is lost related to those west coast alums. It is starting from zero at this point after that debacle.

Why would alumni give when the school does not? If the school actually exhibits real support for the AD, people will start opening their wallets. Right now you would be throwing your money into a sinkhole.

I think a public campaign needs to happen to force the University to answer as to why the AD is forced to pay out of state tuition on scholarships when our peer institutions do not. The University needs to publicly specify how they are helping the AD financially at this time. Nik get to work.

You know what? I'm frustrated by the lack of information on the state of the AD. Where are we? What are we doing about it? What is the university administration doing to support athletics? What are the short and long term goals and plans? What are donors doing and saying? The perception in the media, for sure, is that the university does not support athletics. While I've been hopeful that isn't true, I am now beginning to wonder. Rick George, early on, and this is just my perception, is much less "public" than Mike Bohn was. And I'm fine with that because I felt like Mike was more talk than action. But, man, I'm frustrated.

George is barely a month Into the job, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus he has done a ton Of interviews

Agree - not much coming out, no push to truly feel the seats at home games, and seems like re-scheduling this canceled game is really starting to drag out. Need to get or at least try to get the students in the seats BEFORE Ralphie runs Do this people realize there is planning that has to be done on the fans end also?

I can't speak for football or endowment donations but I can explicitly speak to basketball excellence, and there has been a significant increase support from states outside of Colorado, especially California. I would imagine though on the global level it is tough to separate the signal from the noise. Last year was our second largest donation year ever and there has been increased out of state participation especially from the west coast but it was not markedly larger from a dollar stand point than 08.

I have an opinion here, does anybody with half a brain cell working want to hear it?

willy-wonka-wilder-300x300.jpg

We should make a list of the If/Then donor strategies we have heard about over the years.

If the AD/school would do______ then the donors would _________. There seems to be a new one every other week. I remember when firing juice box was going to get things started then water bottle. Now it's retiring debt. Next it will be mowing my grass.

The truth is people don't care enough to give.

Back