1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU Skills Camp June 17th

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Mondonico, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Mondonico

Mondonico New Member

Did anyone see or hear about any prospects at the camp last Friday?

2. Jackal

Jackal Member

Yes there were a couple hundred prospects. Maybe a dozen D1 level prospects. Williams, Cope-fitzpatrick. A polynesian descent linebacker who I don't recognize, a couple of good linemen, one of which I was told was from Colorado and was blowing up the other OL there. Some kids from Oregon, another TE from WA. Nice weather. Pasta Jay's food caterred. Nice tour of Dal ward.
    Eric Bieniemy is "the best coach ever" per a couple of rb recruits.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

JCF just did an unofficial visit as did Williams. They didn't participate in the skills camp.

I want to compliment Norgard for attending the camp. It wasn't going to change his offer status, so most guys in his situation would have skipped it. I think it shows a ton of leadership and character that he wanted to represent and also take the opportunity for some coaching. He is definitely driven to get better and be as ready as possible to compete in the spring. He's gonna be a player. Mark it.

4. Jackal

Jackal Member

5. Jackal

Jackal Member

Also there was a Linebacker from Oklahoma. Last name Harding. Class of 2013. Looked really good.

6. Buffs4Life

Buffs4Life Member

Thanks for that compliment, Buffnik! Clay had a blast Friday and Saturday (was pretty sore Sat AM since they banged all morning on Fri, possibly a little regret on signing up for both days-LOL) and learned so much from Coach Cabral and Coach Smart. He was so jacked up at dinner Saturday night, couldn't stop talking about how excited he was to get up there and get going in Jan!

Some discussion on some other sites about these camps being useless or just a "money maker" for the coaches, and I just have to say if a kid attended and didn't come away with something they could use in their up-coming football season (regardless of whether they came away with an "offer" from CU or not) then they must not have been listening. We attended some spring CU practices this year and Saturday's camp had the exact same sights and sounds (just substitute younger players)-EB, Coach Kennedy, Coach Embree's voices echoing throughout the stadium. It was AWESOME and I don't know how you couldn't be inspired as an athlete if you were there. You're right when you say it didn't matter regarding Clay's eventual place at CU, but it mattered a TON relating to his progress as a player. He has some new tools to take into his SR season, which is the point, right? Striving for growth as an athlete and a player. A+++, loved what he took away from this weekend! Go Buffs!!!

Tractor and Goose like this.
  7. Mondonico

Mondonico New Member

I was there mostly watching the QBs. I guess they seperated them into under classmen and upper classmen. I saw one kid who stood out from the rest of the upper classman. He seemed to be gettng a lot of talk from the coaches. Saw Rip talking to him once or twice. Big kid 6'3" 6"4 210. Good foot work, accuracy, and a cannon for an arm. Thought I heard Mullen mentioned as the high school he went to. I know it wasn't Miles as he committed else were.

Any body else see him?

8. Buffs4Life

Buffs4Life Member

9. Buffs4Life

Buffs4Life Member

That is Aaron Mispagel, Cyler Miles' backup at Mullen (could be a starter at almost any other program in CO). He looked really good both days--many were talking about him on Friday, too. It seemed like the CU coaches really liked him.

10. Jackal

Jackal Member

Yes! it was an awe inspiring evening on Sat. These coaches can downright coach and each one was dedicated to giving each kid something to work on and improve on regardless of their status as a recruit. They were there to look at talent, but also to demonstrate to these players that Colorado has some serious coaches. I overheard several running back recruits talking about Bieniemy and how amazing he is as a coach!

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Don't know a thing about him. What class is he in? If a sr. would he be a legitimate PWO candidate, if an underclassmen will he be a BCS level prospect as a Sr.?

12. Mondonico

Mondonico New Member

Mullen website has him as a SR. Not sure about PWO. He certainly caught my eye and while I'm not an expert on QB's (Did stay a a holiday Inn express Friday night) this kid was smooth.

13. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Buffs4Life- I don't want to get greedy but does Clay have any younger brothers we can look forward to in the BnG?:thumbsup:

14. DoWork

DoWork Member

15. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Without question we definitely appreciate the investment that these players and their families put in during the recruiting process. We knew Walker was a kid with talent through the roof, but it sounds like he has the character to match that, which is really exciting. Don't worry about not meeting Norgard this time around, you'll have several more years to get to know him and his family if everything works out well. :thumbsup:

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Thanks for the insight into the process, DoWork.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wasn't being critical regarding Walker not doing the camp stuff... just reporting facts. I really appreciate all that these kids and their parents go through in this process.

At the risk of calling all the former CU linemen on this site out of the woodwork: Nuclear Engineering! As they're always telling us, the OLs are the smartest guys on the team.

Sounds like Walker's really got things together. He'll be a fine addition to whichever program he chooses and is on a great path to be very successful after football. Hope he got an opportunity to get a good look at CU's top-rated Engineering program. If you have any questions, we've got a several CU grads on here who work in the field.

17. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Unfortunately, the problem with these camps is that they are costly and not a lot of kids can make them out-of-state. Given that CU must rely on kids that are 500 miles away or more, this becomes a bit of a problem. LA kids can go to USC and UCLA camps a lot cheaper than CU's.

I read somewhere that Cope-Fitzpatrick came here for the day but couldn't afford the overnight tariff to spend another day here and participate in the camp. A whole bunch of kids can't afford to do what he and his Grandmother did, which was observe the staff, meet the people and get a tour of campus, etc.

The fact that Colorado is a beautiful state and a great place to visit should help get some kids here who do have the resources and they want to turn it into a family vacation. I'm up in Vail right now for a high-school LAX tournament and there's teams from all over (as there were this weekend in Denver). Dallas families can deal with a long weekend in Colorado about now.

By the way, when Grandma get involved it could be a good thing now. ;)

18. DoWork

DoWork Member

Right you are, the camp is not expensive, it's the travel that really gets you. Typically the camps are under $100 (UCLA was $50 and included lunch but we spend $800 on airfare and $125 on a CHEAP hotel, $100 on a rental car and ordered off the dollar menu and the same was true for Colorado except we splurged on Pasta Jay's.) We have made many sacrifices to make these trips happen. (Goodness I would love to replace my 1988 Crown Vic but it's not important in the big picture right now, right?) Some kids such as Cope-Fitzpatrick may have to wait until Sept. 1st to take an official visit to really get a sense of the University but I have to tell you that after visits to many schools Colorado does a great job of welcoming recruits, even for one day.

19. Highlander27

Highlander27 Well-Known Member

And it's an effort like this which will eventually end our futility at Mullen, by planting these seeds nice and early. Props to the coaching staff.

20. Highlander27

Highlander27 Well-Known Member

21. DoWork

DoWork Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  22. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Here's what to come at CU (same o line coach, not sure who else was there then and now back)

[video=youtube;OpwWcwc3oLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwWcwc3oLA[/video]

23. Quattro

Oh and....
    [video=youtube;OI42ysYDX-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI42ysYDX-4[/video]
    and I can't think of anything better than running out behind Ralphie!
    [video=youtube;UeXc-S9fov8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeXc-S9fov8&feature=related[/video]

24. DoWork

DoWork Member

Thanks for sharing, great clips! Watched them several times!

25. Quattro

Embree (kickers/WR) and EB (RB) were also coaches on that 2001 team. Glad you enjoyed the videos though..what a great season minus getting kicked by Oregon and losing to Fresno State by two.