1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU Soccer vs CSU: Friday, 4pm at Prentup

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by Buffnik, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Time to kick off the CU sports year.

Great way to open things up.

I'm going to try to get there. If not, the game is on PACN.

[tweet]502203191195209728[/tweet]

:gobuffs:

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Interesting to see if the women share the rivalry.

3. goalline

goalline Jedi Master Club Member

The Colorado Cup is a big deal for in-state recruits. Try to support. That's too early for me, unless I take off from work. I'll have to see if I can make the Sunday match.

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I was at the 2013 Pac-12 basketball tournament in Vegas. We went to the Mirage one day and the CSU women's basketball team was there. A few of them made disparaging comments after seeing our groups CU gear.

I think they all hate us.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

For the Olympic sports, a case can be made that DU is the main in-state rival. Certainly for soccer, ski and lacrosse that's the program the Buffs need to beat.

6. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

I would think that Denver is definitely their main local rival and CSU is just another out of conference team. I would also add tennis to the list where DU is more of a rival and the other olympic sports like cross country, track and field, and golf aren't really head-to-head sports and volleyball doesn't schedule either.

7. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I have had something similar happen when going to a CSU mens basketball tournament watch party before the CU game. It didn't make much sense to me, they weren't playing CU, I was actually hoping they would win.

8. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

In soccer, DU is without a doubt the main local rival. CSU is in only the second season of their program and I doubt they are anywhere close to CU and DU yet. Colorado College has a solid program as well and are often in the NCAA tourney.

CU and DU seem to have many players with connections including sisters. They seem to recruit from the same pool of club teams in Colorado.

Interestingly, CU and DU have met twice in the NCAA tourney with CU winning both times, including last season at DU. (This is coming from recollection, so I may be incorrect.)

9. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Let's beat them in everything.