What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"CU (they are terrible too)"

I don't expect much next season, but at least we got rid of our biggest problem. In the long run - things will get better. Winning brings respect, so Pac 10 fans right now only think of us as a weak team. Cal game didn't help that perception.

If we play with anything resembling unbridled heart and passion, then we're immediately good for a few more wins and to be more competitive against better teams. The road curse is a big obstacle, I think it's mostly a mental thing with the players at this point and we just need a win anywhere to break the curse and get on with taking at least a few road games each year - as I've said before, Hawai'i is the most important game on our schedule by a mile.

I think the coaching staff's personality will help us avoid some of the more humiliating, perplexing, and denigrating performances that we've seen too much of (Toledo, Missouri, Kansas to name a few)... to paraphrase Mike Tyson, we will have a backup plan after getting hit in the face.

And our WR tandem of Richardson and Clemons could not only be one of the best in the Pac-12, but one of the best tandems in the country! We also should have an experienced QB (hansen) already named going into summer which would be the first in years and huge!

Secondary is the big ?

One of the best tandems in the country? Can I get some of what you're smoking? Richardson has big-time potential and Clemons is a good second option who has never had a 100-yard receiving game at the college level.

One of the best tandems in the country? Can I get some of what you're smoking? Richardson has big-time potential and Clemons is a good second option who has never had a 100-yard receiving game at the college level.

I said could as in potential, talent. I didn't say they would. Why don't you tell me 5 tendems that WILL FOR SURE be better???

waiting?

waiting?

comon little boulder buff, I'm waiting..........................

Settle down Farva.

Oh I'm fine, just don't appreciate being attacked by a moderator for everything I say. Ya people have their own opinions, but when my posts are singled out by one individual it bothers me. Sorry for being a passionate fan. And no I still don't think being ONE OF the best tendems is unrealistic. I am not saying they will for sure.

Last edited:
I said could as in potential, talent. I didn't say they would. Why don't you tell me 5 tendems that WILL FOR SURE be better???

waiting?

waiting?

comon little boulder buff, I'm waiting..........................

South Carolina (Alshon Jeffrey and Tori Gurley)
Oklahoma (Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills)
Oklahoma State (Justin Blackmon and Josh Cooper)
Texas A&M (Jeff Fuller and Ryan Swope)
Washington (Jermaine Kearse and D'Andre Goodwin)
Arkansas (Joe Adams and Greg Childs)
Arizona (Juron Criner and David Douglas)
Missouri (T.J. Moe and Michael Egnew/Jerrell Jackson)
Baylor (Kendall Wright and Josh Gordon)

That's 9. He said 5.... :smile2:

yeah! what an asshole! :lol:

is that a personal attack? rubbing it in like he did? :rofl:

Nah, I could have been a real asshole and brought the thread full circle by including the WR tandem at Wazzu (Marquess Wilson and Jared Karstetter).:nod:

In all seriousness though, the fact that Paul Richardson is probably the third best true sophomore WR in the Pac-12 is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention getting the ball to these guys. Hansen had games of 192, 166, 200, 158, 117, 207, and 62 before getting injured - not exactly awe-inspiring. Add to that we're going to feature the running game, and I don't see it either. Not to say those two don't have a lot of talent and will hopefully be big contributors.

we have a tough schedule but i'm not of the opinion that @ASU, @UW, or @UU are unwinnable games...just because they are in the new holy Pac and we mindlessly blowjob the awesome Pac these days.

well, then look at recent results. asu bitch slapped the Buffs at tempe last they played. uw beat the Buffs at their place last we played. and, i'd argue both of the Buff teams that lost were far, far better on paper than what we are likely to show up with this next season. and, as for utah, they've outrecruited us by a wide margin for about 4 years straight so i would think they have more talent on paper too.

couple all this with the fact that our Buffs haven't won a road game in what, like 4 score and 70 years or thereabouts?

cal was a very mediocre, trending toward bad, pac 10 team last year and they kicked the living **** out of CU. that was a mudhole game for sure.

usc beat hell out of a CU team that was much better athletically (than the current CU team) at folsom when last they met. that was actually one of my low points as a CU fan, seeing exactly how far away from being elite we really were.

oregon and stanford are coming off a season where they were in the top 5 teams in the country.

wsu sucks and ucla doesn't scare me too much.

you can say what you want about us worshipping the new pac, but i live out here and i watch and attend lots and lots of games. we are nowhere ready in terms of speed or overall talent to be competitive. my hope is that we aren't embarassing and that they play good fundamental football. tough teams don't usually get totally embarassed (altho gb's 40-3 drubbing by usc at folsom was an example of a well-coached, generally tough team getting clubbed-- usc could have named their score that day).

and, yes, i realize it is a new season and a new staff and all these teams have had changes in circumstances to some extent. but, i am very, very skeptical about our Buffs' short term prospects in conference. i hope to be surprised and amazed, of course.

'leash, everyone is entitled to an opinion, including boulder buff. he didn't turn in his opinion rights when he became a mod. it is ok for you guys to disagree. i love your fire and i hope you are correct!

but, football forums are public debating forums in large part, and as long as no one breaks the very limited list of rules that we have, it is ok to disagree.

The force is strong with this one. :lol:

well, then look at recent results. asu bitch slapped the Buffs at tempe last they played. uw beat the Buffs at their place last we played. and, i'd argue both of the Buff teams that lost were far, far better on paper than what we are likely to show up with this next season. and, as for utah, they've outrecruited us by a wide margin for about 4 years straight so i would think they have more talent on paper too.

couple all this with the fact that our Buffs haven't won a road game in what, like 4 score and 70 years or thereabouts?

cal was a very mediocre, trending toward bad, pac 10 team last year and they kicked the living **** out of CU. that was a mudhole game for sure.

usc beat hell out of a CU team that was much better athletically (than the current CU team) at folsom when last they met. that was actually one of my low points as a CU fan, seeing exactly how far away from being elite we really were.

oregon and stanford are coming off a season where they were in the top 5 teams in the country.

wsu sucks and ucla doesn't scare me too much.

you can say what you want about us worshipping the new pac, but i live out here and i watch and attend lots and lots of games. we are nowhere ready in terms of speed or overall talent to be competitive. my hope is that we aren't embarassing and that they play good fundamental football. tough teams don't usually get totally embarassed (altho gb's 40-3 drubbing by usc at folsom was an example of a well-coached, generally tough team getting clubbed-- usc could have named their score that day).

and, yes, i realize it is a new season and a new staff and all these teams have had changes in circumstances to some extent. but, i am very, very skeptical about our Buffs' short term prospects in conference. i hope to be surprised and amazed, of course.

I'm, too, mindful of this history going into our inaugural Pac12 season. I know it's spring and optimism is supposed to run rampant among football fans. Anything can happen, right?

5 short years ago, I was excited and maybe a little giddy at the prospect of a hot new coach turning the program around. It didn't happen in year one, two, three. But new coaches need four or five years to leave their mark on a program, right? Year four sucked. Year five was a write off.

So now we've come full circle. It's back to square one with a brand spanking new head coach who had enthusiasm and history to substitute for a lack of HC experience. I have no idea what kind of gameday coach Embree will turn out to be. Hopefully a good one. Time will tell.

The last decade has been a beat down. This time around I know better than to start getting my hopes up for a bowl game. Sure, it could happen. CU could come out of nowhere and start 6-0. Josh McDaniels did that as the Bronco's rookie HC.

But 3-10 or worse could also happen. This team is in transition with a greenhorn coach who is inheriting players recruited by Dan Hawkins. The QB, center, defensive backfield and special teams are all huge question marks.

As much as I'd like to say that the stars are aligning for the Buffs to tear through the new conference, I'm not there yet. This is a season of lowered expectations. It's a rebuilding year. Like every new software release, the Embree lead Buffs will have some glitches.

I don't second guess the hire. I just need to see some results on the field before sipping the Kool Aid.

Last edited by a moderator:
CU was up 20-0 on ASU in Tempe before the wheels came off. CU should have won that game running away. It was brutally hot, though, and I think that got to them as the game wore on.

CU was up 20-0 on ASU in Tempe before the wheels came off. CU should have won that game running away. It was brutally hot, though, and I think that got to them as the game wore on.

No, what got to them was a lack of belief in their ability to win. I am convinced even if Celestine had caught that easy TD to go up by 28 or whatever, that we would have lost that game. The team had no spirit, no belief in their dominance. They would have acted scared to blow it up 28-0. This is the same coach that gave up 35 to kansas in the fourth quarter. A new coach will work wonders here. However, the lack of talent is gonna hold us back for a while. Next year is where I really get worried. I think the senior class will scratch and claw to keep us in games this year, but the dearth of experienced talent next year is gonna be awful.

With an experienced group of starters, Embree should be able to match last year's win total at the very least. If we are staring at a repeat of the 2006 season, I am going to have serious doubts that Embree was the right hire.

One nice thing about being in the PAC-12 is that we play AZ and ASU in October and November now. When you play there non conference the games are in Sept and it is 112 degrees down there. Now our away games are in the 70's and when those boys come up here hopefully there is a blizzard. I had a friend in Grad School who went to ASU and said they always do well early on when the other teams are dying in the heat but that they fold in the late season when it cools down. Thank god altitude is not seasonal.

One nice thing about being in the PAC-12 is that we play AZ and ASU in October and November now. When you play there non conference the games are in Sept and it is 112 degrees down there. Now our away games are in the 70's and when those boys come up here hopefully there is a blizzard. I had a friend in Grad School who went to ASU and said they always do well early on when the other teams are dying in the heat but that they fold in the late season when it cools down. Thank god altitude is not seasonal.

Good thing we dont play in a dome either.

We were up 14-0 and dropped two TD passes, then wilted and gave up 33 unanswered.

The last time we met USC, they beat us 40-3. Could have named their score that day? sure just like they did through the next 37 games they played until they ran into Vince Young, goodbye Pete, HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOO Lane

ASU in 07, it was 106 degrees that "NIGHT", we thoroughly outplayed them and lost the lead because we didnt have any depth behind big George Hypolite and couldnt substitute. Did you notice the substitutions on their sideline, EVERY play a new set of players came in

the last 5 years we had D2D vs the best group of B12 qb's ever assembled, even the vaunted qb driven Pac-10 coulnt match up with that group

I'm still not convinced of this supposed talent disparity

The last time we met USC, they beat us 40-3. Could have named their score that day? sure just like they did through the next 37 games they played until they ran into Vince Young, goodbye Pete, HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOO Lane

that game was a major league asskicking. outside maybe one of the really good Snyder KSU teams scoring special teams TD's all day, that was about as bad as i've seen CU get hammered at home with a real coach.

Carson Palmer wins the Heisman that year, and we sure didn't make it harder for him. Justin Fargus, too. they convert a 4th a 20 or some shizz in the 1st Q...and it was "on"...after that.

ASU in 07, it was 106 degrees that "NIGHT", we thoroughly outplayed them and lost the lead because we didnt have any depth behind big George Hypolite and couldnt substitute. Did you notice the substitutions on their sideline, EVERY play a new set of players came in

the last 5 years we had D2D vs the best group of B12 qb's ever assembled, even the vaunted qb driven Pac-10 coulnt match up with that group

I'm still not convinced of this supposed talent disparity

More than anywhere else on the field, the talent disparity has shown up at the skill positions on offense. How many games over the last five years have had the better QB? Most of the time, it was a decided disadvantage. That is a major problem for a position that touches the ball on all or nearly all offensive plays. How many games over the last five years have we had the better RBs and WRs? Sure, we have had Speedy come into his own in 2010, Simas had some good games down the stretch in 2009, and Richardson was really good the last half of 2010. But it is hard to say we have matched the talent level of many of our opponents at those positions.

that game was a major league asskicking. outside maybe one of the really good Snyder KSU teams scoring special teams TD's all day, that was about as bad as i've seen CU get hammered at home with a real coach.

Carson Palmer wins the Heisman that year, and we sure didn't make it harder for him. Justin Fargus, too. they convert a 4th a 20 or some shizz in the 1st Q...and it was "on"...after that.
Was at that game as well, actually had a media pass so I watched from the sidelines. JJ Billingsley made a pick that was called back for a roughing the passer penalty, and USC converted that long 4th down via a screen pass that nearly caused me to run out onto the field and make a tackle. Chris Brown also got stuffed at the 1 a few times, and Robert Hodge was (I believe) making his first start and went something like 1-9 passing with something like 8 sacks... so that's 17 passing downs, one completion.

More than anywhere else on the field, the talent disparity has shown up at the skill positions on offense. How many games over the last five years have had the better QB? Most of the time, it was a decided disadvantage. That is a major problem for a position that touches the ball on all or nearly all offensive plays. How many games over the last five years have we had the better RBs and WRs? Sure, we have had Speedy come into his own in 2010, Simas had some good games down the stretch in 2009, and Richardson was really good the last half of 2010. But it is hard to say we have matched the talent level of many of our opponents at those positions.

This is why coaching will be so crucial early on. Teams like UT can usually, I know 2010 was an exception, win a very fair share with ok coaching and great talent. On the other end, teams like Boise win with phenomenal coaching and subpar talent. Then you have the situations of both, OSU(even if they cheat), OU, Florida(Urban Meyer). If Embree and what looks like a solid coaching staff can maximize the talent we currently have, we should come out ok until the talent starts trickling in.

Back