1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU turning into the Cradle of Coaching?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Jan 26, 2014.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Slightly exaggerating but I recall a few years ago people were saying CU was a coaches graveyard. Perhaps there has been a thread on this topic in the past year or so but I don't recall it.

I was just reading an article in ESPN about the running backs for the Seahawks and Broncos. Just saw this which is cool in talking about the line coaches/consultants for both teams:
    There have been tons of coaches (assistants and Head) that have moved on to great jobs in the NFL and other top college programs. They haven't always succeeded when they went on with their careers, but I think there is ample evidence that coaching at CU can be good for one's career.

Obviously a relatively recent name that comes to mind is Helfrich but there are tons. Any one else care to share suggestions on coaches who have left CU with positive results.

2. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

You really wanna claim Cable?

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

We were always known as a cradle of coaching prior to some of our more recent buffoon coaches. One of the big complaints around the water cooler was that we could never keep coaches long term. I always thought that wasn't much of a concern because a) that likely meant they were good and b) coaches move around a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Die thread, die

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

7. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

You about to get clinicd.

8. boydbuff

I went to Miami Oh for undergrad and that is why I referred to it. I also opened the thread by saying slightly exaggerating.

My point with the thread is I think a lot of coaches have left CU and had good opportunities when they left. They didn't all have staying power but it contradicts what some were saying around the hiring of Embree.

Anyway, I am fine with letting the thread die if you guys don't want to carry on the conversation.

9. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Does this explain the infantile football efforts over the last 10+ years?

J.R. Ewing likes this.
  10. boydbuff

I am not saying that we have always hired good coaches. Rather I am saying that coaching at Colorado can lead to good things for good coaches.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

And that half-hearted statement warrants this thread?

12. boydbuff

There was a perception amongst some people, including many ABers when we were trying to hire a head coach around the Embree time period that one reason it was hard to get a good candidate is that Colorado was a dead end job for coaches. The past few years I have thought about that and observed anecdotal evidence to suggest that is not true.

To me the way to test that assumption is whether coaches leaving Colorado (for another job or getting fired) are able to land on their feet at equivalent or even higher positions. My point with this thread was to suggest that at least anecdotally there is a long tradition of coaches who have come through Colorado (assistants or HC) that have gotten good jobs when they have left.

Again, I don't care if we kill the thread but there was a point to it, that was inspired in part by the fact that 2 previous OL coaches for Colorado are now coaching in the Super Bowl.

13. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Free association is fun!

Semper Gumby

14. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

Sorry, but I had to laugh at how similar that sounds to the sad and tired old Cherokee man talking to Josey Wales - zbuff's(?) sig line. Endeavour to persevere, boyd. Endeavour to persevere.

15. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

​I thought Boise State was the Cradle of Coaching.

16. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Isn't one of the new NFL HC's a former assistant Andre McCartney?