What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-Utah moved to Black Friday

Actually flying on thanksgiving day is great. The airport is a desert. It is the days before and weekend after that are rough.

@ Timmah- I don't think many CU fans are going to blow off their families on Tday to fly to SLC.

I should have made it more clear...Not many people are going to fly into SLC during the extended Thanksgiving weekend and face premium pricing and holiday crowds.

Other games already on the schedule for Friday, November 25th...

Louisville @ South Florida
Iowa @ ****braska
Kent State @ Temple
Pittsburgh @ West Virginia
Toledo @ Ball State
Bowling Green @ Buffalo
UTEP @ UCF
Boston College @ Miami(FL)
Eastern Michigan @ Northern Illinois
Akron @ Western Michigan
Arkansas @ LSU

Assuming that the Iowa/****braska, Pitt/WV, and Arky/LSU are all going to get top billing that day over our game with Utah. It isn't a huge slate of games to contend with, but we definitely aren't top banana that day.

Iowa @ ****braska
Kent State @ Temple
Toledo @ Ball State
Bowling Green @ Buffalo
UTEP @ UCF
Akron @ Western Michigan
Arkansas @ LSU

Assuming that the Iowa/****braska, Pitt/WV, and Arky/LSU are all going to get top billing that day over our game with Utah. It isn't a huge slate of games to contend with, but we definitely aren't top banana that day, yet.

fify

Iowa @ ****braska
Kent State @ Temple
Toledo @ Ball State
Bowling Green @ Buffalo
UTEP @ UCF
Akron @ Western Michigan
Arkansas @ LSU

Assuming that the Iowa/****braska, Pitt/WV, and Arky/LSU are all going to get top billing that day over our game with Utah. It isn't a huge slate of games to contend with, but we definitely aren't top banana that day.

Looking at the timezones, it's a safe bet the CU-UU kickoff will be at night.

What's the flight time from Denver to SLC ... an hour?
How many flights per day ... a dozen or more? :nod:
C'mon. This isn't that hard. Fly in Friday morning; go to the game; fly home Friday night.

I'll be coming down from Bozeman. There is a 6:30 a.m. flight every day, so I'll be there in plenty of time for the game. Depending on game time, I'll fly back late afternoon or, at worst, take the later flight and be home around 10:00 p.m.

Frontier, Delta, United, Continental ... all have flights from Denver to Salt Lake City which get you into the Beehive state by 10:00 a.m.
Plan on it - "No excuses!" :gobuffs:

What's the flight time from Denver to SLC ... an hour?
How many flights per day ... a dozen or more? :nod:
C'mon. This isn't that hard. Fly in Friday morning; go to the game; fly home Friday night.

I'll be coming down from Bozeman. There is a 6:30 a.m. flight every day, so I'll be there in plenty of time for the game. Depending on game time, I'll fly back late afternoon or, at worst, take the later flight and be home around 10:00 p.m.

Frontier, Delta, United, Continental ... all have flights from Denver to Salt Lake City which get you into the Beehive state by 10:00 a.m.
Plan on it - "No excuses!" :gobuffs:
Problem is more about driving someplace not near a major airport on Thursday morning, then trying to drive back to Denver late Friday night or really early Friday morning to get to the airport. The whole thing ends up being really rushed, and the Red Bull & No Doz investment alone makes the trip a bit cost prohibitive.

Here's the official CU press release:

BOULDER ? The Pacific-12 Conference gave approval Tuesday for this fall’s football game between the University of Colorado and University of Utah to be played on Friday, Nov. 25, the day after Thanksgiving.

The game, originally scheduled for the next day (Saturday, Nov. 26), will be played in Salt Lake City with the kickoff time and television arrangements to be announced at a later date. It will be the first meeting in football between the two neighboring state universities since 1962, but the 58th overall as they were original rivals the first half of the last century.

CU athletic director Mike Bohn and his Utah counterpart, Chris Hill, requested the date change. Bohn in particular wanted to see Colorado’s run of games played the Friday after the Thanksgiving holiday continue for a 16th straight year.

“The (Nebraska) game was extremely popular being played on that particular Friday,” Bohn said. “We recognize how supportive and instrumental our fans were and the role they played in creating a premium event that also turned into quality family time. We want to maintain that connectivity. The one constant with our schedule every year is that our fans knew we would be playing Nebraska the day after Thanksgiving.”

Colorado and Nebraska played that last Friday in November all 15 years both were members of the Big 12 Conference. The Cornhuskers are joining the Big 10 Conference this summer, and have already secured Iowa as its opponent on the same day to continue their similar tradition.

Future schedules for the Pac-12 have not been drawn up, so it has not been determined beyond 2011 if the Buffaloes and Utes will play on that Friday, or even in the two will end the year against each other, though as designated rivals and the two newest members of the conference, that is a likely expectation.

Colorado opens the season at Hawai’i on Saturday, Sept. 3 in a game that will be televised nationally on ESPN2, with kickoff set for 8:15 p.m. MDT (4:15 p.m. in Honolulu). That became official today though Hawai’i officials had released late last week.

2011 COLORADO SCHEDULE

S 3 at Hawai’i (ESPN2, 8:15 p.m. MDT)

S 10 CALIFORNIA

S 17 Colorado State (Denver)

S 24 at Ohio State

O 1 WASHINGTON STATE

O 8 at Stanford

O 15 at Washington

O 22 OREGON

O 29 at Arizona State

N 4 SOUTHERN CAL (ESPN2, 7:00 p.m. MST)

N 12 ARIZONA

N 19 at UCLA

N 25 at Utah

D 2 Pac-12 Championship Game (site TBA)

@ Timmah- I don't think many CU fans are going to blow off their families on Tday to fly to SLC.

I should have made it more clear...Not many people are going to fly into SLC during the extended Thanksgiving weekend and face premium pricing and holiday crowds.

As this boards Big Rapids Fan I must Introduce to Rapids Chants regarding utah...

The utah way
OHHHHHHH You've Got one Dad and you've Got 10 Mom's
Utah Utah
You've Got one Dad and you've Got 10 Mom's
That's the Utah Way
That's The Utah Way
That's the Utah Way
You've Got one Dad and you've Got 10 Mom's
Thats The Utah Way

next and far more disgusting

Utah Family
(to the tune of the Addams Family)
Your sister is your mother
your brother is your father...
you all screw one another....
Your the Utah family

Looks like it is a night game. No problem making the drive on Friday morning if you don't want to fly.

here's the official cu press release:

cu athletic director mike bohn and his utah counterpart, chris hill, requested the date change. bohn in particular wanted to see colorado’s run of games played the friday after the thanksgiving holiday continue for a 16th straight year.

“the (nebraska) game was extremely popular being played on that particular friday,” bohn said. “we recognize how supportive and instrumental our fans were and the role they played in creating a premium event that also turned into quality family time. We want to maintain that connectivity. The one constant with our schedule every year is that our fans knew we would be playing nebraska the day after thanksgiving.”

effing booooooooo!!!!!!

I. don't. like. I am tired of not being able to see a game because I am under family obligation. I was hoping this would be the end of that situation since the corncobs were off the schedule.

Actually, I think it does fit the profile. The rest of the Pac 12 doesn't want our game interfering with USC/UCLA, Cal/Stanford, OSU/UO, UW/WSU, and UA/ASU all on Saturday. We've been relegated to the kiddie table.

Cal/Stanford and UCLA/USC have traditionally been played on the weekend before Thanksgiving (though both have been occasionally moved to December after the 12 game schedule was approved in the early 90's). However, Stanford/USC have a longstanding rotating Thanksgiving games vs Notre Dame, which the Pac 12 will definitely be scheduling to maximize exposure. I know Stanford/Cal alumni/students would throw sh1t fits if the Big Game were played over Thanksgiving because it's likely most everyone will be out of town.

It makes sense for the conference to have 2 games on Friday because the TV time is definitely available.

I. don't. like. I am tired of not being able to see a game because I am under family obligation. I was hoping this would be the end of that situation since the corncobs were off the schedule.
You need to set better expectations with the fam. :rofl: I've got my family trained to know that they get turkey day, but the day after Thanksgiving I would be back in Denver for any years the CU / NU game was at home. Fairly easy for me though since I don't have to fly that weekend, just make the trek down to the Springs.

Last edited:
I dont like it, last game of the season and I'm always searching for it on the free XM radio in my rental, schedule a bye and sell it to the recruits

I dont like it, last game of the season and I'm always searching for it on the free XM radio in my rental, schedule a bye and sell it to the recruits

Remove Utah from the schedule and sell that to recruits? I like your unorthodox approach to this, but I'm not sure I see that one working out well.

We get nothing from Pac-10 media in 2011. Neither does Utah. Their television contract runs through this season. It's the new one, starting in 2012, that we get the windfall from. We also get about $2.5 million (iirc) from the deal that sold the championship game in 2011.

With neither CU nor UU bound by a conference media agreement in 2011 (neither of us get anything from the Big 12 or MWC either), we are essentially free agents. Any revenue bump that CU gets as the home or visiting team appearing on ESPN or another network would be the same share as we'd get on non-conference games, without having to split with the Pac-12 membership. The more of these games (Hawaii, Ohio State, USC and Utah announced so far - hopefully CSU and Cal are announced soon) Bohn gets on national television, the more money we make off football this year.

At least that's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The $25 million from Fox in 2011 was not just for the CCG, but "additional conference games" due to the expansion. All 12 teams share in that revenue equally.

So, we will not be able to sell the TV rights to this game, as it is included in the $2.5 million we are getting from the Pac-12 in 2011.

Certainly, getting the OOC games onto national TV will be huge in trying to make ends meet this year.

The $25 million from Fox in 2011 was not just for the CCG, but "additional conference games" due to the expansion. All 12 teams share in that revenue equally.

So, we will not be able to sell the TV rights to this game, as it is included in the $2.5 million we are getting from the Pac-12 in 2011.

Certainly, getting the OOC games onto national TV will be huge in trying to make ends meet this year.

Thanks, Scotty.

We really need to get CSU and Cal onto national television.

I guess i am too young to give a darn about Utah as a rival. Don't like it, can we schedule Nebraska instead on Black Friday or even scrap the game altogehter.

Last edited:
Cal/ASU was just announced as being on the same day (night -- 7pm kickoff) on ESPN. I can't imagine they're going to have 2 Pac-12 games on at the same time, so I'd imagine your game will be in the afternoon (maybe during Texas/A&M?)

I agree, I would prefer the game on Saturday, but the Buffs playing on a day called Black Friday just seems to make sense.

Well, I've read the arguments pro and con. I'm pretty ambivalent about it. But, being neutral, I'd have to say the anti-Fiday guys have the best argument.

Back