What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ Utah thread

Horrible display of basketball. I think they should be more embarrassed by this effort than of last week. Last week was poor effort against a final four team, this was poor effort against an average team.

Offense doesn't move the ball; when it does, it is well below the basket and in traffic and the defense we relied upon earlier in the season seems lost.

WTF was that! Utah is good at home so maybe I am overracting.

NIT bound. Until we figure out how to play like every game is a one and done, how to play inside out, and play freaking defense, its all NIT.

I love my Buffs but WTF. We arent very good...

44-21 over the last approx. 20 minutes. That's a bad half of basketball right there.

Very little pick n roll, if any, unless Mills is on the floor. No setting screens to help shooters get an open look. Players have to create on their own too often. This offense doesn't have much of a point to it. The motion offense they run could have some back cuts put in it, a play designed to get players the ball at the rim. Boyle and staff either need to evolve, or hope they can always recruit a player like Dinwiddie and Burks who can dominate a game offensively.

AZ and Utah went a combined 39 of 50 shooting in the second half of the last two games. You can pretty much stop right there if you want to focus on an issue. Wow.

AZ and Utah went a combined 39 of 50 shooting in the second half of the last two games. You can pretty much stop right there if you want to focus on an issue. Wow.

Not sure our coaches understand when you score 2 points in 12 minutes defense will inevitably collapse.

Very little pick n roll, if any, unless Mills is on the floor. No setting screens to help shooters get an open look. Players have to create on their own too often. This offense doesn't have much of a point to it. The motion offense they run could have some back cuts put in it, a play designed to get players the ball at the rim. Boyle and staff either need to evolve, or hope they can always recruit a player like Dinwiddie and Burks who can dominate a game offensively.

The offense is very similar to an NBA offense that relies on individual players to create for themselves. Problem is there are very few, at most, guys on the team that can actually do that. Defense has been just as much of a problem thought recently. Way too many easy looks given up. The shooting percent AZ and Utah had in the 2nd haves is not because those 2 teams have elite offensives.

The offense is very similar to an NBA offense that relies on individual players to create for themselves. Problem is there are very few, at most, guys on the team that can actually do that. Defense has been just as much of a problem thought recently. Way too many easy looks given up. The shooting percent AZ and Utah had in the 2nd haves is not because those 2 teams have elite offensives.

Being a 1 trick pony defensively doesn't help. Mixing it up and playing zone 2-3 times a game wouldn't hurt.

Not sure our coaches understand when you score 2 points in 12 minutes defense will inevitably collapse.

I'm pretty sure that if people here understand something about basketball, our coaches understand it about 1000 times better.

I agree. Being a 1 trick pony defensively doesn't help. Mixing it up and playing zone 2-3 times a game wouldn't hurt.

Ya I see very few in game adjustments in general. Offense or defensive. Not just this game but from Boyle in general

I'm pretty sure that if people here understand something about basketball, our coaches understand it about 1000 times better.

What are you trying to say Junc? :lol: ​(you're right)

Hard to watch them do the same thing over and over again when its obvious the other team is ready for it.

Of course they do, but I think it's time we're honest and objective in the evaluations of the staff. They've done a great job overall, but the offensive execution has never been there and, like Scotch mentioned, it's just straight man defense 90% of the time. Tad definitely believes in just letting the kids play and counts on winning those individual matchups, but when things start to go off the tracks, as we've seen a few times lately, there's no Plan B.

Of course they do, but I think it's time we're honest and objective in the evaluations of the staff. They've done a great job overall, but the offensive execution has never been there and, like Scotch mentioned, it's just straight man defense 90% of the time. Tad definitely believes in just letting the kids play and counts on winning those individual matchups, but when things start to go off the tracks, as we've seen a few times lately, there's no Plan B.

Oh, I agree absolutely. Offensive sets under Tad have never been a thing of beauty. His teams definitely have a tendency to play ugly. And to fall apart on the road. And right now they're pretty much a train wreck. Tad is an outstanding coach, but not a perfect one.

But to hear somebody sitting at a keyboard say "I wonder if our coaches understand (insert obvious bit of basketball knowledge)", I still can't help but laugh. Yeah, guys succeed at the major college level all the time without understanding the basics of the sport as well as somebody who watches a lot of games on TV.

Oh, I agree absolutely. Offensive sets under Tad have never been a thing of beauty. His teams definitely have a tendency to play ugly. And to fall apart on the road. And right now they're pretty much a train wreck. Tad is an outstanding coach, but not a perfect one.

But to hear somebody sitting at a keyboard say "I wonder if our coaches understand (insert obvious bit of basketball knowledge)", I still can't help but laugh. Yeah, guys succeed at the major college level all the time without understanding the basics of the sport as well as somebody who watches a lot of games on TV.

We've had this issue for 4 years, so either they get it and stubbornly resist some adjustment, or else don't get it.

We've had this issue for 4 years, so either they get it and stubbornly resist some adjustment, or else don't get it.
I'll vote C: they just aren't very good at implementing it.

Tad said after last season that improving offensive execution was a priority. He understand the importance. Unfortunately, it hasn't changed, though. I get the feeling that, despite his best intentions, he reverts back to focusing on defense, which is his natural tendency. There may be an opportunity to bring in someone to focus on implementing an offense whenever the inevitable staff turnover occurs.

I'll vote C: they just aren't very good at implementing it.

Tad said after last season that improving offensive execution was a priority. He understand the importance. Unfortunately, it hasn't changed, though. I get the feeling that, despite his best intentions, he reverts back to focusing on defense, which is his natural tendency. There may be an opportunity to bring in someone to focus on implementing an offense whenever the inevitable staff turnover occurs.

Good point, they may just not be able to implement it. Disappointing because I thought after Illinois we'd bring about change. And we had the same issue back when Spencer was still healthy, although it's even more glaring now. Hope to finally see the day..

Back