What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-Ute "Rivalry" -- What should be the "Rumble in the Rockies" trophy?

Shouldn't DevilDog have a say in this? He is, after all, Utah's spokesperson.

I work right by their stadium and have done camps with some of their staff. I will retaliate if that **** happened! And I am the dad with the tools!

You really think the presidents of the Cal schools will vote yes on BYU? I think not.

Probably not. In addition to not playing on Sundays they have also had a questionable reputation around academic freedom. As I recall they were difficult to deal with from a conference point of view. The religion aspects influences and or supersedes the athletics and academic missions.

After BYU...

There are NO schools in the current footprint that are a slam dunk obvious choice.
There are two schools next to our footprint (UT and OU) that are obvious add ons.
There are several schools within the footprint and next to the footprint that have varying merits and detractions.

If BYU joins the PAC we're really SOL. We won't have a rivalry with anyone!!!

I think if that happened that means the UTerus and Land Thieves are NOT coming. From there I suspect the companion to BYU will be of meh caliber no matter who it is. In my mind CSU becomes that natural in state rival. Its an easy drive to FoCo for games too. But pretty low on the excitement meter. All 4 schools would certainly be together in the same division of the conference.

The Sunday thing is a red herring. BYU will play anytime you want them to for the right price.

Think the rivalries may feel a lot more genuine after this season. We already think we're too good for Utah and equal to UCLA/ASU. They're going to get un-nerved if we can finally beat them.

Think the rivalries may feel a lot more genuine after this season. We already think we're too good for Utah and equal to UCLA/ASU. They're going to get un-nerved if we can finally beat them.

Definitely. Once you beat teams, rivalries will develop. I remember before the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, a writer described the Sox-Yankees rivalry like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail. That's how it's felt for us since joining the Pac-12.

How about The Cougar Cup?

Lily+at+the+Catsablanca+Bar
Ha, good one.

I like it. How about a two-sided trophy with an oversized Buffalo nickel at the top. Probably wouldn't work because I'm sure the native American isn't a Ute, but still like the idea of a trophy.

475px-NNC-US-1913-5C-Buffalo_Nickel_(TyI-mound).jpg
This is the best idea in the thread. Make one side a Ute with Utah logos on it and the other side a Buffalo with CU logos.... Have it be a single trophy on a stand with room to engrave the winners and years... and make the coin either flip or spin or be turned so the loser faces the back of the trophy case. Winner gets the trophy for a year.

This. Especially since it's very possible we will both be playing for bowl qualification the last game of the season.

There wasn't a trophy for the CU Neb game was there? Who gives 2 craps about a trophy? No one sticks around or cares about the Rocky Mountain Showdown trophy.

I think that's the point. In a traditional rivalry, it doesn't matter if there is a trophy or not. In our case, we need anything we can to try and make it somewhat of a real rivalry beyond the "who has the least ****ty team from the PAC-12 expansion" that it has been.

Mountains in it is a must if we go trophy. Maybe a pick axe? A stick of dynamite perhaps? I think ski boot would be a little too lame, doesn't really seem like a motivator or something that is indicative of a hard fought rivalry.

Its easy.

Trophy has a mountain chain on top. One half of the mountain is Black with gold highlights, the other Red with white highlights. The side of the trophy with your colors on it has the scores of the game you won engraved on it. Call it the Continental Divide Cup or something like that.

This. Especially since it's very possible we will both be playing for bowl qualification the last game of the season.

I think that's the point. In a traditional rivalry, it doesn't matter if there is a trophy or not. In our case, we need anything we can to try and make it somewhat of a real rivalry beyond the "who has the least ****ty team from the PAC-12 expansion" that it has been.

Mountains in it is a must if we go trophy. Maybe a pick axe? A stick of dynamite perhaps? I think ski boot would be a little too lame, doesn't really seem like a motivator or something that is indicative of a hard fought rivalry.
Yeah a pick axe that is way oversized. As in hey Larry you can pick your friends but you can't pick your rivals. Seriously though maybe the non rivalry but respect thing is something to embrace?

Yeah a pick axe that is way oversized. As in hey Larry you can pick your friends but you can't pick your rivals. Seriously though maybe the non rivalry but respect thing is something to embrace?

No. It's not that we don't want to hate you, we just can't right now.

I'm thinking, the game taking place so close to thanksgiving, they fly a helicopter over the field and drop a live turkey to be awarded to the winner. We can call it the WKRP Trophy.
As God is my witness...

Back