What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU VB 2014 schedule

BeBe

Club Member
Club Member
No schedule out yet but here's what I have pieced together for the non-conference part. Rumor has it that the PAC schedule may be coming out around mid June.

August 29 & 30 : at Northern Illinois tournament. Playing Northwestern, Presbyterian, and host Northern Illinois. The only specific match with time I have seen is CU versus Northern Illinois on Saturday 8/30 at 11 AM MDT. Looks like opening the season at the bakery, should be feasting on cupcakes.

Northwestern : Big 10. Final 2013 record 16-16 (8-12 in conference). No tourney appearance.
Presbyterian : Big South conference. Final 2013 record 7-22.
Northern Illinois : Mid-American conference. Final 2013 record 19-13 (10-6 in conference). No tourney appearance.

September 5 & 6 : at home tournament. Playing Pitt, Georgia Southern, and Portland State. CU playing Georgia Southern at noon Friday 9/5 and Portland State at 7 PM Friday 9/5. Times for Pitt not yet known. Getting better. Playing all teams with winning records in 2013. CU should be able to sweep.

Pitt : did not make the NCAA tourney. Play in the ACC. Final record 19-14 (11-9 in conference)
Portland State : did not make the NCAA tourney. Lost in the finals of their conference tourney. Play in the Big Sky conference. Final record 21-10 (17-3 in conference). One of their players is a Monarch HS grad.
Georgia Southern : Play in the Southern Conference, winning the conference tourney. In NCAA, lost in first round to #16 Florida State. Final record 28-6 (13-3 in conference)

September 12 - 14 weekend : nothing released yet. I would expect this to be at least one home match but, based on how they have scheduled the past two seasons, one never knows what will happen.

September 19 & 20 weekend : at Creighton tournament. Playing Illinois, South Dakota, and host Creighton. Known game times are CU versus South Dakota on Friday 9/19 at 4:30 PM MT and CU vs CU (that would be Creighton University) on Saturday 9/20 at 7:30 PM MT. Good mix of decent teams so this will be a good test just prior to the start of conference matches. We will learn a lot about the Buffs with how they play this weekend.

Creighton is now in the Big East. Last season was their first year in that conference and they finished second in both the regular season and the conference tourney. Final record 23 -9 (12-4 in conference). They made it to the NCAA, won the first round, losing in the second round to Kansas.
Illinois is in the Big 10, finishing fourth in conference last season and earning the 13th seed in the NCAA tourney after playing the hardest schedule in the country. Final record 17-16 (12-8 in conference). They lost in the sweet 16 to 19th ranked Purdue.
South Dakota plays in the Summit League. Final record 19-13 (9-5 in conference). Last season they lost in their conference tourney final to Denver. Did not make the NCAA tourney.

Between Creighton and the Nubs, it's so weird to me that there is such good college volleyball in Nebraska. Well supported, too.

Entire VB schedule has now been posted.
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=600&SPID=256&SPSID=3866

Finally looks like a schedule done right. Each of the 4 non-conference weekends has a four team tournament (3 matches for each team). Two of the tourneys are at home and 2 on the road. The level of difficulty increases in the slightly in week 3 and more significantly in the tourney that is the weekend before conference play starts.

Also more matches will be on PAC12 TV.
http://pac-12.com/article/2014/06/16/pac-12-networks-air-96-womens-volleyball-games-2014

• wow: 17 matches (53% of the schedule) against 2013 NCAA tourney teams: Georgia Southern, Illinois, Creighton, Idaho State, Arizona (x2), Arizona State (x2), Oregon, Washington (x2), Utah (x2), USC (x2), Stanford (x2); I did not realize the Pac was that strong in VB.
  • There are two "Colorado Tournaments" this year: GA Southern, Portland State and Pitt on 9/6; Robert Morris, Idaho State and Butler on 9/13.
  • I was a little surprised/disappointed to learn last year that CU charges for volleyball admission -- I've seen VB matches at VT, UNC, NCSU and Duke, none charged admission (one more data point why cost of living is higher out West). On that note, season tickets are only $25, but single game tix won't be on sale until October, after the 1st seven home games. I'm guessing anyone with any volleyball interest buys the season tickets.
  • The weekend of the home opening (ASU) football game has three home VB matches: for the Friday night and the Saturday nooner, the timing should be perfect for tailgating. The Saturday night cap against Butler conflicts with the football game -- CEC could be empty for that one.
  • AZ/ASU home games are on the Friday and Sunday around the Oregon State football game. That seems like smart scheduling to me.
  • I'm not invested in the CU/CSU rivalry, but surprised the Rams aren't on the VB schedule. Considering that both teams are coming off tourney years, and considering volleyball usually loses money for the schools, I'd expect the coaches and AD's to leverage all the reasonable local match ups they can.

• wow: 17 matches (53% of the schedule) against 2013 NCAA tourney teams: Georgia Southern, Illinois, Creighton, Idaho State, Arizona (x2), Arizona State (x2), Oregon, Washington (x2), Utah (x2), USC (x2), Stanford (x2); I did not realize the Pac was that strong in VB.
  • There are two "Colorado Tournaments" this year: GA Southern, Portland State and Pitt on 9/6; Robert Morris, Idaho State and Butler on 9/13.
  • I was a little surprised/disappointed to learn last year that CU charges for volleyball admission -- I've seen VB matches at VT, UNC, NCSU and Duke, none charged admission (one more data point why cost of living is higher out West). On that note, season tickets are only $25, but single game tix won't be on sale until October, after the 1st seven home games. I'm guessing anyone with any volleyball interest buys the season tickets.
  • The weekend of the home opening (ASU) football game has three home VB matches: for the Friday night and the Saturday nooner, the timing should be perfect for tailgating. The Saturday night cap against Butler conflicts with the football game -- CEC could be empty for that one.
  • AZ/ASU home games are on the Friday and Sunday around the Oregon State football game. That seems like smart scheduling to me.
  • I'm not invested in the CU/CSU rivalry, but surprised the Rams aren't on the VB schedule. Considering that both teams are coming off tourney years, and considering volleyball usually loses money for the schools, I'd expect the coaches and AD's to leverage all the reasonable local match ups they can.

It's basically the Pac 12 and Big 10 that dominate with a couple of other teams from other conferences like Texas, Hawaii, and a few others.

Hokie,

The Pac-12 is basically that strong in everything. Weakest sport recently has been basketball (both men's and women's).

Back