What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs Nicholls State thread

How could we not dominate inside against NS? We were much bigger and supposedly better athletes.

I watched the game on the P12 app on the tiny screen of my phone, which was not ideal.

This game was not unlike Auburn or CSU or other games, with the Buffs going into a hole and then coming back after the half to find the win.

The keg appeared to be rocking on a snowy night in Boulder. The student section got camera time. Chip dressed up like a storm trooper and other Star Wars related costumes were novel. Lots of shots of cute little kids taken to the game by their dads showed CU to be family friendly and into hoops.

The home team left with a win and a 9-1 record. How often does CU basketball win eight in a row?

Josh got a bunch of points and sunk a three, moving up in the CU record books.
Fortune, King, and Collier got some nice above the rim action.
Zili is a spark plug.
And Gordon was the human swat machine with seven blocks.

Yet the narrative is really more cautionary and critical than celebratory. This message board and Tad's comments are no where near the good old "a win is a win" chestnut. There is palpable disappointment in winning this game because Nicholls was out hustling the Buffs and getting in front of the defense. On offense the Buffs struggled to break zone, and could not get shots to fall from outside for a long stretch. Since SMU crushed the Colonels, it was expected that CU get a dominating win against Nicholls to demonstrate our Buffs belong in the NCAA hunt and are good enough to earn a signature win against SMU before heading into conference play.

It's as if the fans and Tad know the shoe might drop at any moment that exposes CU as the middling P12 team instead of a legit top 25 squad.

One thing for sure is that nobody is satisfied with just winning. The table is set for another 20+ win season and another NCAA run. This is a fun team to watch play, but it's not cool to say that until after a few convincing wins against better teams than BYU, CU, and Nicholls freaking State.

CU's destiny is in their own hands for a great season, and the mood around the program is more about being hungry than entitled.

WHO WON? Did the winner get any "style points" added to, or subtracted from their W-L record?

Thought so.

Tad calls it like it is, and this was "pathetic". Nicholls is truthfully well below 300. You almost have to try in order to go down double digits at home. Had this been any Pac squad we'd have had a repeat of that Stanford debacle in Boulder from a few years ago. The comebacks are great, but the time is coming when opponents will be good enough to make that 10-15 point lead into a 20 point lead. As much as I love our scoring, Tad is absolutely right that simply thinking we can score our way out of these situations is not going to work against much of the Pac. Glad we play again tonight.

Tad calls it like it is, and this was "pathetic". Nicholls is truthfully well below 300. You almost have to try in order to go down double digits at home. Had this been any Pac squad we'd have had a repeat of that Stanford debacle in Boulder from a few years ago. The comebacks are great, but the time is coming when opponents will be good enough to make that 10-15 point lead into a 20 point lead. As much as I love our scoring, Tad is absolutely right that simply thinking we can score our way out of these situations is not going to work against much of the Pac. Glad we play again tonight.
Buffs won't be playing much of the Pac (in fact, none of them) after the total disruption of finals week.

As I recall, some of my finest bouts of drunken behavior were in celebration/recognition of the end of finals week! There's something about that period that brings out the worst.....crappy weather, panic, short days, disruptions in normal patterns of behavior, anxiety followed by relief followed by more anxiety, .....

Buffs won't be playing much of the Pac (in fact, none of them) after the total disruption of finals week.

As I recall, some of my finest bouts of drunken behavior were in celebration/recognition of the end of finals week! There's something about that period that brings out the worst.....crappy weather, panic, short days, disruptions in normal patterns of behavior, anxiety followed by relief followed by more anxiety, .....

This is the same problem this team had before finals, so I'm not sure how much you can solely chalk it up to that when it's the fourth time this season we've fallen behind double digits (and we've had other suspect showings like the Ft. Lewis first half). I watched a team come out after 11 days off and dismantle the 12th ranked team in the country today.

It may well take a real wake up call in the form of a loss. I hope (and expect) to forget about it and move on in a few hours, but we fell behind double digits to a sub-300 team at home that was coming off an 86-42 loss 48 hours earlier. Fair game.

I was at that Stanford game and was hoping I would never be reminded of it again.

Win and advance. It sucks what it looked like, but we got the W. If we do the same tomorrow, we may lose. Do the same against PSU and we will lose.

PSU?? Izzat the same PSU that had to come from 17 back against a ONE WIN Drexel team and only won by 4 at home? THAT PSU???? (yeah, the same.)

This is the same problem this team had before finals, so I'm not sure how much you can solely chalk it up to that when it's the fourth time this season we've fallen behind double digits (and we've had other suspect showings like the Ft. Lewis first half). I watched a team come out after 11 days off and dismantle the 12th ranked team in the country today.

It may well take a real wake up call in the form of a loss. I hope (and expect) to forget about it and move on in a few hours, but we fell behind double digits to a sub-300 team at home that was coming off an 86-42 loss 48 hours earlier. Fair game.
In each such game, the opponent came out and shot "lights-out" from 3 pt. land, even in the face of decent (not great) Buffs' defense. No-look, over the shoulder shots from beyond the NBA arc, were figuratively going in (just like that horrendous Stanford loss, what did the Trees shoot that night? 80% from beyond the arc?) just as nothing the Buffs threw up early was going in against Nichols. That's why stats are kept over the course of a game.

Amazing how reverting to the mean makes defensive efforts look as if they improved markedly. (Stanford never did revert to the mean in that debacle.)

Back