What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs Oregon, OCT 3rd ESPN 8pm (Pre-Pregame thread)

This wear pink thing was dumb when it started, and gets dumber by the year. Black it is.
While it is a very worthwhile cause, I really wonder about the value of asking sports fans to show up wearing a color that has no connection to the team. I'd rather see them push for collecting donations at the gate, distributing pink ribbons or buttons to show support, or something similar. The team will likely wear pink gloves, socks, etc., so that works for one game for me. Just don't ask me to buy and wear pink apparel that I wouldn't wear again, when a simple donation to the cause would be more effective for the cause.

Our high school team allows the players to choose one game in October in which they can wear pink on game day. The kids seem to like doing it, as they all wear pink socks, wrist/arm bands, pink eye "black" strips, pink spatting of their cleats, etc. In return, they all donate $5 and it goes to the "cause".

As much as I like a fashion discussion, what needs to happen for us to have any kind of shot at making this a game? My thought is if we can keep it close going into the 4th, maybe the altitude will play a factor and slow down the quackers. I really don't see a way of beating this team though, so...
b53817e42aef8f05141a4018527babfd1733384ced33fb9f97a8a6378c3318ac.jpg

As much as I like a fashion discussion, what needs to happen for us to have any kind of shot at making this a game? My thought is if we can keep it close going into the 4th, maybe the altitude will play a factor and slow down the quackers. I really don't see a way of beating this team though, so...

It is going to have to take a near perfect game from all 3 phases to win. Oregon is not the juggernaut they were under Mariota. What worked for OSU and for MSU was they did enough on D to keep Oregon from using just pure speed to win. That has worked for a lot of years for UO but defenses are starting to figure it out. It can be done, but its going to be very difficult. We will need to leverage the crowd noise/energy and the altitude.

I was asking for reasons to believe we had a chance :cry:

The Buffs tend to play better against spread teams vs. teams that are more physical up front with a power run game. I really believe this defense is built to defend the spread.

We'll need to win the turnover battle big (+2 at least) and we'll need at least one big special teams/defensive play like a kick/punt/int. return for a TD--all while playing better on offense and defense than we have up until now. Not impossible, could happen.

Stanford used to be very physical with their o lineman and didn't allow for those big lanes to open up. Obviously they tackled very well and did not give the qb enough time for the longer routes to develop which would have hurt them.

Not sure what Arizona did the last two years except for have Scooby Wright on their team but they did have some success. Turnovers seem to have helped them a ton.

Things I think we'll need to do to have a chance in the 4th quarter:

- Win the turnover battle by 2 or more (as BuffsNYC said)
- Limit their explosive plays (20+ yards) and make them drive the ball
- Have to run the ball efficiently and eat up clock
- TDs in the RZ, not FGs
- Zero "50/50" calls from the officials going against us

Back