What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU was drawing up a plan to fire Embree before Utah game

Interesting to me how Plati phrased this

Water Bottle should have been fired at half-time of the Fresno game! He proved to be stubborn, e.g. stuck on stoopid, far too often in his short tenure and the only guy to blame for his firing, is the guy who looks back at him from the mirror!

I thought this was handled very well and that everything and every situation was being discussed beforehand. It is also a reminder to keep **** out of emails.

Ok thanks for the info. Wow, they put that in writing knowing it could be requested? Not smart. Certainly not lengthy ones like Platti's. He needs to end the spoken word type essays.

Intrigued by "anticipation of miscellaneous expectations". It sounds like your classic "I had nothing left to say, but wanted one more bullet point to round things out".

To not be considering a change before the Utah game would have been completely moronic. It was obvious that the staff was in over its head, that the team was under performing, and that that recruits and fans were wavering. Then we went and lost another game that we could have won (while running a qb sneak on first and ten) and the coaching staff sealed the deal. What's so hard to understand about the situation?

How can Embree act like he was blindsided? Did he not see the results on the field? The team and the coaching staff was an embarrassment from almost day one. I remember sitting in Columbus, Ohio getting sympathy looks from Buckeye fans as my Buffs pissed the game away while our new head coach threw his headset and nearly hit an official. At least we could look forward to the halftime show...

****, WSU gave us the game this year and we shouldn't have beaten Utah last year. I know it sucks when you lose your job, but come on. We are still paying you Jon. Stop being such a bitch. The team failed and you were its leader. Hell, I knew this season was going to rough - I predicted two or three wins. But I had no idea how bad it was going to be due to complete and total ineptitude. The losses were not even contests. I didn't see the buffs play in person for the first time since I was a freshman at CU in 1997 because I knew it wasn't worth the 3 hour drive down to ****ing FRESNO because I knew our buffs had NO chance. That's sad.

I applaud the AD to have the balls to make a move when it was apparent that something had to be done. And while Jon is still a Buff for life in my mind, I REALLY wish he'd take a step back from the situation and stop trying to rip the program to shreds. I know it must be hard, but in the long run, it'd be best for him and for the buffs.

BTW... I bet Dan Hawkins is chuckling somewhere.

What a ****** situation.

Go Buffs.

Last edited:
So they witheld the decision to evaluate Embree status because of how it will affect recruiting. Wow, just wow, can't believe what I am reading. The best move for recruiting is to make the decision sooner. We have already lost 2 recruits because of the uncertainty. And it is too late to salvage this class. I just hope atleast the administration is learning from their mistakes.

Who are the two recruits? The only two I can think of left before the firing because the results were so miserable they couldn't stand the thought of playing for that kind of team.

To not be considering a change before the Utah game would have been completely moronic. It was obvious that the staff was in over its head, that the team was under performing, and that that recruits and fans were wavering. Then we went and lost another game that we could have won (while running a qb sneak on first and ten) and the coaching staff sealed the deal. What's so hard to understand about the situation?

How can Embree act like he was blindsided? Did he not see the results on the field? The team and the coaching staff was an embarrassment from almost day one. I remember sitting in Columbus, Ohio getting sympathy looks from Buckeye fans as my Buffs pissed the game away while our new head coach threw his headset and nearly hit an official. At least we could look forward to the halftime show...

****, WSU gave us the game this year and we shouldn't have beaten Utah last year. I know it sucks when you lose your job, but come on. We are still paying you Jon. Stop being such a bitch. The team failed and you were its leader. Hell, I knew this season was going to rough - I predicted two or three wins. But I had no idea how bad it was going to be due to complete and total ineptitude. The losses were not even contests. I didn't see the buffs play in person for the first time since I was a freshman at CU in 1997 because I knew it wasn't worth the 3 hour drive down to ****ing FRESNO because I knew our buffs had NO chance. That's sad.

I applaud the AD to have the balls to make a move when it was apparent that something had to be done. And while Jon is still a Buff for life in my mind, I REALLY wish he'd take a step back from the situation and stop trying to rip the program to shreds. I know it must be hard, but in the long run, it'd be best for him and for the buffs.

BTW... I bet Dan Hawkins is chuckling somewhere.

What a ****** situation.

Go Buffs.

I think Embree was too close to have a good perspective. He was citing academics as a major win, and not embarrassing the school off the field as achievements. He didn't see big picture, or buy into magnitude of failure that was occurring.

I found it interesting that Plati was drawing up talking points for Bohn to use for his pregame announcement on the radio.... is that one of the duties of the SID?

Yes. SID handles the media. I got my press passes from him back in the day. I'm not surprised that much by the depth of his email because you need to anticipate the questions and have thought out responses prepared and SID would be one of the best for that as would Bronson (former newspaper writer) to coach admins not used to the media as to what to expect to see or be asked. Bronson is the PR man for the Boulder campus so I'm guessing this email from DP to BH was prompted by a text or phone call because he needs to bring his bosses and admins up to speed and make sure they stayed on message.

The parts that did surprise me most is the "If Jon is too stubborn to implement it" part. That's a pretty telling commentary right there and you could see it in Jon's face later at the presser. This suggests to me that firing was clearly still on the table and had been for awhile and that there were questions about how far they could get Jon to go even before the final meeting recapping the year.

It seems they were planning and in agreement on dismissing the 2 coaches (which would not have sat well with any of us) further in advance than I thought. We all thought this was JEs suggestion over the weekend that didn't impress MB. Therefore, why did JE cancel a preplanned team meeting when something that important would be announced to the players? And did that decision to cancel contribute to his demise because it killed Plati and Mike Bohns plan to pre announce some changes complete with a handout on game day in the face of withering criticism over the performance this year? Was JE dragging his feet on firing the two? Obviously a tweet or something did get out given the Cabral thread that got started.

I took the part about the athletic alumni as just commentary about where that crowd stood and perhaps to be careful around them on game day, if admins encountered them. You sometimes see athletic alumni at games on the side lines and they get credentialed by Plati and since they are former players and he knew them personally I'm not surprised he knows where they stand.

My confidence in Mike Bohn, and DiStefano, Plati, the admin are much improved. This was clearly Mikes decision and there were no hand cuffs so to speak which it seemed like in the past there were. I still feel bad for Jon as we all do and I wish him the best.

Last edited:
I am in the Fire Bohn camp. That said, nothing here makes him look like anything but a well organized professional.

My anger towards him is based on three factors. 1.) The extension of Hawk. (I really don't have to go beyond this) 2.)The press conference the day after it terminated Embree.(PR Fiasco) 3.)His public statement of goals for his hiring of a BCS coach that he then failed to deliver on.(Made the school I love look small time on a national stage)

If the new coach turns out to be a guy that turns the program around, then I'll pat him on the back and say good job and I was wrong. If he turns out like my perception of how he handeled Barnett, Hawk and Embree, then I say please hit him in the rear with the door on his way out!

Kisima Jagne is one person, just sayin'

I am quite sure the powers that be knew those e-mails were going to be made public. There is really noting in them that is objectionable. Just business. It would have looked far worse if there was no paper trail for the decision making process.

I breezed through the emails and might have missed something, but I wonder what would have happened if Embree had held the meeting before the game and announced the two coaching changes. Would that have prevented them from firing Embree? Talk about having your bluff called.

I am in the Fire Bohn camp. That said, nothing here makes him look like anything but a well organized professional.

My anger towards him is based on three factors. 1.) The extension of Hawk. (I really don't have to go beyond this) 2.)The press conference the day after it terminated Embree.(PR Fiasco) 3.)His public statement of goals for his hiring of a BCS coach that he then failed to deliver on.(Made the school I love look small time on a national stage)

If the new coach turns out to be a guy that turns the program around, then I'll pat him on the back and say good job and I was wrong. If he turns out like my perception of how he handeled Barnett, Hawk and Embree, then I say please hit him in the rear with the door on his way out!
I think points 2 and 3 are off base. Most feel that Bohn handled the press conference very well. Especially in consideration of Klatt's completely unprofessional attack. TunaMac was a current head coach with BCS conference experience. The experience was as a coordinator, but he has ample BCS experience.

You conspiracy theorists are misinterpreting the Plati line about Embree. He was thinking about how to contain the media firestorm IF Embree didn't go along with Bohn's suggestions. It turned into a mute point when Bohn fired Embree and the proverbial **** hit the fan anyway.

You conspiracy theorists are misinterpreting the Plati line about Embree. He was thinking about how to contain the media firestorm IF Embree didn't go along with Bohn's suggestions. It turned into a mute point when Bohn fired Embree and the proverbial **** hit the fan anyway.
I can't hear you....

Embree passed up another opportunity to take the high road by commenting on this story. We get it, you are upset you were bought out, what good does it do anybody to keep crying about it publicly?

That was the first time since he got fired he took the high road.... I am just shocked his reply wasn't "Well when you are black..."

That was the first time since he got fired he took the high road.... I am just shocked his reply wasn't "Well when you are black..."

But even in taking the high road he still expressed his displeasure... So he really didn't take the high road at all. He just continued to complain.

“They made it sound like it was a hard decision but it sounds like it was in the works for awhile. They made it sound like they were agonizing about it all weekend but they weren’t. It just makes you wonder when they were starting this process. They had an idea and they were waiting to execute it,” said a miffed Embree.

This is just bitchy whiny bull**** made by a sourpuss hypocrite. If I change the quote just slightly I wonder how JE would respond...

“They made it sound like it was a hard decision but it sounds like it was in the works for awhile. They made it sound like they were agonizing about it all weekend but they weren’t. It just makes you wonder when they were starting this process. They had an idea and they were waiting to execute it,” said a miffed Jordan Webb.

But Jordan didn't handle losing his starting QB role that way. You proud of how you responded to your situation Jon?

Is Jon's beef really that Bohn kept reassuring him throughout the season? Maybe he expected that Bohn would have said something like "Holy **** Jon, this is a disaster. The team is regressing, the fans are voting with their dollars, I can't even give tickets away to watch this **** show you're in charge of. If you don't at least show some kind of improvement, you will not make it past year 2 of your 5 year contract. You're leaving me no choice here."

Brian Maas is on the Fan w/Al talking about his story.Waiting for Al to implode...

They stayed calm,but tried to make it sound so outlandish that the firing was discussed before that weekend

Last edited:
Back