What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU WBB - The other Rise

As far as winter being horrible, part of that perception comes from the way the weather is reported around the country. When the mountains get snow, they act like it is Denver. 35 years I lived there and my parents always thought the mountain snows were at my house.

We all know that isn't true, but that is the perception.

As far as winter being horrible, part of that perception comes from the way the weather is reported around the country. When the mountains get snow, they act like it is Denver. 35 years I lived there and my parents always thought the mountain snows were at my house.
Exactly. For those that don't live in an area with large changes in elevation it's hard to get how there could be a massive amount of snow in Vail and not in Denver. When I'm talking to my students about elevation and temperature/precipitation I like to point out that there are days when you could ski and play golf on the same day. Start by skiing up at Eldora and then come down and play golf in the Boulder area.

Exactly. For those that don't live in an area with large changes in elevation it's hard to get how there could be a massive amount of snow in Vail and not in Denver. When I'm talking to my students about elevation and temperature/precipitation I like to point out that there are days when you could ski and play golf on the same day. Start by skiing up at Eldora and then come down and play golf in the Boulder area.

Yeah. It's hard to put into perspective for people. When I was a kid in New Jersey, we used to go to Mt. Camelback in the Poconos as the big ski trip from New Jersey. That mountain is 2,100 feet tall. NJ is pretty much at sea level. It's under a 2 hour drive. The weather difference was huge. Vail is like 3,500 feet above Boulder and many parts of the Rockies are 7-9,000 feet above Boulder (and 4-6 hours away). Yet, somehow, a lot of people have this belief that the storm they see at Aspen Snowmass is what the weather is like in Boulder or Denver.

Most of the country doesn't realize how big the west is. They assume that people drive between Las Vegas and Reno (and the climates must be similar) or from San Francisco to Portland. And the weird thing about it is that these same people fly if they're going from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh or from Miami to Jacksonville or from Boston to NYC.

About 15 seasons ago I got into an only debate with an ISU fan about the weather/climate in Boulder v Ames. He just couldn't believe that the winters were warmer and sunnier in Boulder . . . until he looked up the data. This is a common misconception by people in who haven't spent time here and I suppose it is in part due to the state's reputation for skiing. As for the lack of humidity, I am very grateful. I was raised here and when I travel to somewhere with real humidity I am reminded of how inhospitable it seems.

I hope so, it's a natural rivalry. Men's basketball hosted BYU last season and will travel to Provo this season.

I suppose this is so CU will be playing regularly in Ames :). I too would like to see ISU every once in a while, but KSU, Nebraska, OU, Mizzou, etc., would be fine with me as well.

Rebounding hasn't been an issue in recent seasons. Turnovers and defense have been.

Since Kennedy verbally committed to CU I have felt she would develop into one of the best point guards in CU history. She is a tremendous passer and if her teammates are hitting their shots she could routinely get 8-10 assists.

Here's a guarantee from the Dad of the 6' point guard that the great Gonzaga & now Oregon coach, Kelly Graves, who said to Estelle and me that JR is not only the best point guard he has ever coached, hands down the fastest player he has ever coached and will be the best point guard coach he (Kelly) has produced: Kennedy will be the best PG in CU history. She will. JR says Kennedy's attitude is unparalleled. Enjoy it.

A note to me from JR, who this past Saturday returned from a lot of recruiting trips: "We are loving a few of the kids we are talking to and sure hoping we can get them on visits!! Looks promising!"
1f60d.png

Go Lady Buffs!

Hey we've got to keep those ski tourists coming!! Amazing how often the media thinks snow weather out here is news worthy...I wonder why that is......hmmmmm

Most of the country doesn't realize how big the west is. They assume that people drive between Las Vegas and Reno (and the climates must be similar) or from San Francisco to Portland. And the weird thing about it is that these same people fly if they're going from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh or from Miami to Jacksonville or from Boston to NYC.
I used to routinely get calls from our NY office between 5-5:30 am PT when I lived in LA (8-8:30am ET). One time, an admin asked if I could pick up an executive in San Francisco so we could go on meetings in LA. I asked her if she would drive to Norfolk, VA to pick up said executive for meetings in NY. Of course not, she said. That's way too far. Well, I said, SF - LA is farther than that. (dead silence)

I have to laugh at this sometimes. I live in SE PA, just 60 miles west of Philadelphia and our weather is almost always similar to Philly's, which means that it is usually warmer than the rest of PA since we are on the eastern slope of the appalachian ridge and valley region. It also means that we seldom are affected by storms from the west but heaven help us when the northeaster comes up the coast.

That being said, I find that the weather in Boulder is almost identical to our weather, with the exception of the high humidity that we have, which makes it more uncomfortable both winter and summer here. We also have far fewer days of sunshine and fair weather than Boulder but, still the temps are fairly close.

If anything, the weather in Boulder should be one of the finest attractions for potential recruits.

I passed your comments on to JR about the weather, Mark: lack of humidity, golfing & skiing in the same day, moderate temperatures, no massive snowfalls. She thanks you and will be incorporating your specifics into her/her staff's pitches to recruits.

no massive snowfalls
Well . . . we do get large snowfalls in Boulder, especially in the Spring. However, unlike elevations over 9,000 feet it doesn't stick around long. Even in the winter it's unusual for snow to be one the streets in any significant amount after about 36 hours.

In general most precipitation in Boulder comes from March to May. December to February can see a fair amount of sunshine, but the temperature can vary quite a bit. And the lack of humidity, in my book, makes it so much more pleasant than just about everywhere east of the 100th meridian.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to meet JR tomorrow night at the meet-'n'-greet.

When was the last huge snow? 2003, I believe when Denver ended up with 53 inches of snow. I remember a December when we had some big snows 3 weeks in a row. They can happen, especially in the spring, but the snow melts so fast in Boulder. Here, what snow we get in November doesn't melt until maybe March.

The year I lived in Black Hawk, it snowed every day, at least a little from when it started snowing that fall in to late spring.

I always loved the sunshine so much in Boulder. One of the huge selling points!

I know since the days of social media, I have seen some of the California kids not happy with snow. They do seem to stay in school and just enjoy it. Now CU closes when there is a snowstorm. That didn't used to happen.

Hello there!

I'm pleased to say that I've recently moved to the DU area for a job in Denver, and as a long time die-hard Stanford Cardinal fan from the East Coast, I'm looking for a local team to adopt this year. I'm excited by the prospect of a challenging schedule with Kentucky and the Pac-12 slate bringing good opponents to Boulder (incl. hopefully my Cardinal--not sure what the rotations are this year) I'd love to find a group of people to go to games with, and to offer up my insight on the team. I think that it's going to be interesting to see what JR does this year, and to see how the team grows. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn about the program and about the players themselves--and I look forward to it!

I'm also excited to see that South Dakota State and South Dakota make the trip to Denver University--as both of those teams were fantastic last season (helloooo Jackrabbits nearly knocking off Stanford in the Big Dance).

Hello there!

I'm pleased to say that I've recently moved to the DU area for a job in Denver, and as a long time die-hard Stanford Cardinal fan from the East Coast, I'm looking for a local team to adopt this year. I'm excited by the prospect of a challenging schedule with Kentucky and the Pac-12 slate bringing good opponents to Boulder (incl. hopefully my Cardinal--not sure what the rotations are this year) I'd love to find a group of people to go to games with, and to offer up my insight on the team. I think that it's going to be interesting to see what JR does this year, and to see how the team grows. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn about the program and about the players themselves--and I look forward to it!

I'm also excited to see that South Dakota State and South Dakota make the trip to Denver University--as both of those teams were fantastic last season (helloooo Jackrabbits nearly knocking off Stanford in the Big Dance).

Welcome to the board!

Glad to have another WBB fan on Allbuffs.

Well . . . we do get large snowfalls in Boulder, especially in the Spring. However, unlike elevations over 9,000 feet it doesn't stick around long. Even in the winter it's unusual for snow to be one the streets in any significant amount after about 36 hours.

In general most precipitation in Boulder comes from March to May. December to February can see a fair amount of sunshine, but the temperature can vary quite a bit. And the lack of humidity, in my book, makes it so much more pleasant than just about everywhere east of the 100th meridian.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to meet JR tomorrow night at the meet-'n'-greet.
Please do meet JR tomorrow. Tell her that her Daddy said to stand up straight! Haha. She'll have a good laugh with you, Mark.

Last edited:
Hello there!

Welcome! Now you can actually meet the new coach (former Santa Clara coach) who knocked off your Cardinal last season in Maple Pavilion. I heard she's a good kid.

Hello there!

You are more than welcome to join a group of us prior to the first home game - as we get closer I'll post the time to meet - for a chat with JR & staff, to ask questions, get to know her......It will be fun.

You are more than welcome to join a group of us prior to the first home game - as we get closer I'll post the time to meet - for a chat with JR & staff, to ask questions, get to know her......It will be fun.

I'm driving to Boulder from Iowa, so no excuse for you Denver area people not to join us!

It's good to be on board, and I'm excited to see where I find my basketball home here.

Welcome aboard. If you sit in Sec 9, in the first 10 rows, you will find some long time fans of the Lady Buffs, fans who remember Colorado beating Stanford. :D

It was broken off the Pat Summit thread by the mods, who titled it. I think that is why it is The Other Rise. Watch CU Women's basketball and you will see what you have been missing!

This. I'll fully admit I'm a bad women's hoops fan as I make it to maybe one game a year, but I only live a mile or so from DU so that would be an amazing opportunity for me.

If DU will play them, JR will schedule them. Good for recruiting the Denver area.

If DU will play them, JR will schedule them. Good for recruiting the Denver area.

We have played DU in the past. One year at DU, I sat on the DU side for the first half and the CU side for the 2nd half. I wore the appropriate shirt for each school. No more divided loyalties.

Wishing I was at the meet and greet about now.

Okay, I am going to write about something other than the weather/climate here in Colorado.

Had a great time last night at the meet-and-greet. All the coaches in attendance were making the rounds and a pleasure to speak to regardless of the subject, which in my case wasn't always related to sports.

A couple of things from JR and Jeff Cammon (a composite):
• Buffs will be "blue collar."
• They will look to push the pace initially which right now suites the strengths of Robinson & Leonard. If they can't score quickly in transition they will be patient in the half-court.
• Defensively they want to force the opposition to play slowly and will play a variety of defenses looking at the strengths of the personnel they have.
• Focus this summer has been on the team getting stronger, so lifting weights rather as a priority over running.
• Monica Burich is almost 100% recovered from her ACL injury, and should be cleared to play 5 on 5 in the next few weeks.
• Eleanor Jones will be a very good player down the road (I took this to mean she's a bit raw) and is very athletic - she can dunk a tennis ball.

Certainly I forgot something, so I am trusting Bebe will add some details/corrections.

Okay, I am going to write about something other than the weather/climate here in Colorado.

Had a great time last night at the meet-and-greet. All the coaches in attendance were making the rounds and a pleasure to speak to regardless of the subject, which in my case wasn't always related to sports.

A couple of things from JR and Jeff Cammon (a composite):
• Buffs will be "blue collar."
• They will look to push the pace initially which right now suites the strengths of Robinson & Leonard. If they can't score quickly in transition they will be patient in the half-court.
• Defensively they want to force the opposition to play slowly and will play a variety of defenses looking at the strengths of the personnel they have.
• Focus this summer has been on the team getting stronger, so lifting weights rather as a priority over running.
• Monica Burich is almost 100% recovered from her ACL injury, and should be cleared to play 5 on 5 in the next few weeks.
• Eleanor Jones will be a very good player down the road (I took this to mean she's a bit raw) and is very athletic - she can dunk a tennis ball.

Certainly I forgot something, so I am trusting Bebe will add some details/corrections.

No corrections Mark. You done good!
Additions? Let's see.
  • Kennedy Leonard's injury in Montenegro was "just" a minor concussion. Coaches have had to restrain her enthusiasm for getting back into everything.
  • They are focusing on the front court for 2017 recruiting but with such a late start don't know how many recruits they will be able to get. (As a comparison, Coach Cammon said that Cal had completed their 2017 class before he left to come to CU)
  • They will not take recruits who they don't think can be contributors at this level just to fill a spot in the roster.
  • I posted some more schedule info in that thread.
  • Coach T will focus on defense and will be the animated guy on the bench. JR will focus on offense and will be the cool one.

Burich is a big key to this season. Especially if the team is looking to move the ball and play a smaller lineup. I thought that coming out of high school she had the potential to be kind of a "point forward" who would be a glue player who hit all boxes on the stat sheet. They need her to be that player.

Back