What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU will have problems keeping Hawkins

Dude??????

:lol: Hey, why do people post this kind of stuff? Hawk isn't going anywhere for a while. Lets worry about that then. I'm in a pissy mood. LSU sucks, OSU sucks, Fox sucks, the Nuggets suck, Bo Pellini sucks, and my job sucks!

I'm in a pissy mood.

me too!!!

this idot.

for crying out loud. yes he may leave in only a few years. that would only be because CU is winning.

but coaches at winning programs dont always leave for the next best place, do they?

top of my list might be Pat Hill at FSU. i think that guy is a damn good coach. i scratch my head every year why he does not get picked up.

at 'ol boy down in ar bayou int leave for mizzigan.

who knows what will make Hawk want to/not want to leave CU?

would it be winning a natl champ and wanting to go to someplace like knu that has not had a winning season in 8 years and rebuild them? :wink2:

would it be getting to the big XII champ and feeling his work is done here and wants to take on a job like a Stanford? Northwestern? or SMU like team?

shoot, he could be all about money and just go for whoever tosses the most money at him? that may be his thing.

believe me. he pumps out some more 2-10 seasons, he will be praying to stay at CU because no one else will ever hire him. dork.

we just dont know do we? time will tell. we will live through it mr idot ram writer.

why does this idot now write about the hazards of eating lead paint?

crying out loud....

:smile2: feel a bit better now.....:lol:

I just think the timing is a bunch of bull****. He deliberately wrote this column one month before signing day. I wonder why.

I believe more people have read his column here than did via reading the Coloradoan.

Let's not get our panties in a wad over some 3rd rate hack sports writer wannabe. He's writing to his perceived audience, which consists of about a dozen pimply faced idots.

The funniest part of that ridiculous article is the idea that Slick Rick jumped/was lured to a "bigger, better program." Rick was history here before UW ever came calling and bailed him out of an embarrasing firing. And Washington is a lateral move at best. If anything, CU is a slightly "bigger, better" program.

The fact is, Hawkins will become, sooner rather than later - one of those "hot coaching commodities" that more prominent programs covet. Odds are good that he'll be offered a chance to move up to a bigger and better program within the next couple years.
I'll grant you I'm biased, but CU is not chopped liver. There are a few prorams with better facilities, more rabid fans, and that will pay higher salaries ... but very very few. A handful at most. So what, Hawkins will bolt for, say, Florida State in 2010? Get real.

Been thinking about this thread since this morning. Here are my thoughts:
I don't see Hawk leaving in the next decade.

Worst case scenario (with regard to losing Hawk)? Hawk is here until Cody finishes up and Hawk pulls in at least two more recruiting classes comparable to this one while keeping the program in the Top 25 in '09 and '10. Then we bring in Embree or Bienemy (or both) to take over while the cupboards are full. The guy who wrote the article is asanine for thinking that Hawk would leave while Cody was here - he obviously does not know Coach Hawkins very well.

I'm trying to think of the jobs that Coach would leave for. He isn't going anywhere in the Big 12. He isn't going anywhere in the Big East. I cannot imagine Coach in the south, pretty much eliminating the ACC and SEC. That leaves the Big 10 - where Michigan, tOSU, Wisconsin and Illinois are presumably set at head coach for the next 4-5 years - and the Pac 10, where USC, Oregon and (maybe) Cal have fairly stable coaching situations. Out of the major conferences that leaves me with only a few schools Hawk would even consider leaving for: PSU (where Paterno will likely handpick his successor - not going to be Hawk), UCLA (Hawk in Hollywood? Pro'lly not) and maybe ASU (no step up IMHO). The two schools I could see Hawk leaving for are Cal (I think someone has mentioned this before) and Oregon. I just don't see Cal getting rid of Tedford in the next few years after he turned that program around. As for Oregon, they would be awfully attractive for any HC if that job opened up. We should root hard for Oregon.

Hawk isn't going anywhere, partly because there won't be many more attractive places to go, partly b/c Boulder is a perfect fit for him and mostly b/c we will be able to pay him what he is worth if he takes us where I think we are headed.

Been thinking about this thread since this morning. Here are my thoughts:
I don't see Hawk leaving in the next decade.

Worst case scenario (with regard to losing Hawk)? Hawk is here until Cody finishes up and Hawk pulls in at least two more recruiting classes comparable to this one while keeping the program in the Top 25 in '09 and '10. Then we bring in Embree or Bienemy (or both) to take over while the cupboards are full. The guy who wrote the article is asanine for thinking that Hawk would leave while Cody was here - he obviously does not know Coach Hawkins very well.

I'm trying to think of the jobs that Coach would leave for. He isn't going anywhere in the Big 12. He isn't going anywhere in the Big East. I cannot imagine Coach in the south, pretty much eliminating the ACC and SEC. That leaves the Big 10 - where Michigan, tOSU, Wisconsin and Illinois are presumably set at head coach for the next 4-5 years - and the Pac 10, where USC, Oregon and (maybe) Cal have fairly stable coaching situations. Out of the major conferences that leaves me with only a few schools Hawk would even consider leaving for: PSU (where Paterno will likely handpick his successor - not going to be Hawk), UCLA (Hawk in Hollywood? Pro'lly not) and maybe ASU (no step up IMHO). The two schools I could see Hawk leaving for are Cal (I think someone has mentioned this before) and Oregon. I just don't see Cal getting rid of Tedford in the next few years after he turned that program around. As for Oregon, they would be awfully attractive for any HC if that job opened up. We should root hard for Oregon.

Hawk isn't going anywhere, partly because there won't be many more attractive places to go, partly b/c Boulder is a perfect fit for him and mostly b/c we will be able to pay him what he is worth if he takes us where I think we are headed.

How about the NFL? But I agree, he is not going anywhere anytime soon. Knutson, or however you spell that loser's name, is a rammie fusker. 'Nuff said.

The two schools I could see Hawk leaving for are Cal (I think someone has mentioned this before) and Oregon. I just don't see Cal getting rid of Tedford in the next few years after he turned that program around. As for Oregon, they would be awfully attractive for any HC if that job opened up. We should root hard for Oregon.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. To me, the only program he would ever leave CU for would be Oregon, and the problem is that I think that the Oregon job may be open just about the time that Cody is graduating (Bellotti may retire; he'll be 60, but it's hard for me to see him jumping ship to another program that he built from the ground up, and likewise I don't think that they would fire him for three mediocre seasons in a row, either).

The other thing that I thought of is that on first glance, Hawk doesn't seem like an NFL guy, but when he first came to CU, a whole bunch was written about how "his system worked on every level up until this point: HS, D2, the WAC, etc." I think that Hawk even mentioned this himself a couple of times, which makes me wonder if he would ever get curious as to whether he could make it work at the highest level (NFL) there is. That's a question that I can't answer for sure.

The other thing that I thought of is that on first glance, Hawk doesn't seem like an NFL guy, but when he first came to CU, a whole bunch was written about how "his system worked on every level up until this point: HS, D2, the WAC, etc." I think that Hawk even mentioned this himself a couple of times, which makes me wonder if he would ever get curious as to whether he could make it work at the highest level (NFL) there is. That's a question that I can't answer for sure.

I'm almost 100% sure that Hawk doesn't want to coach in the NFL.
His personal philosophy and commitment to be a guru/life-coach interferes with the NFL way of doing things. Where a coach in the NFL is a glorified baby-sitter; a college coach needs to shape boys into being men on the field and Hawk does a great job at helping these kids grow into men.

I agree that if he leaves, it'll be when Cody is done or even longer and to some place in the Pac-10.

I believe more people have read his column here than did via reading the Coloradoan.

Let's not get our panties in a wad over some 3rd rate hack sports writer wannabe. He's writing to his perceived audience, which consists of about a dozen pimply faced idots.
uh... Sack, I don't have pimples...

I just posted this because I was frustrated with this corndog. Didn't mean to send DBT into therapy.

uh... Sack, I don't have pimples...

I just posted this because I was frustrated with this corndog. Didn't mean to send DBT into therapy.

His "perceived" audience. He doesn't even know you exist. :lol:

I'm almost 100% sure that Hawk doesn't want to coach in the NFL.
His personal philosophy and commitment to be a guru/life-coach interferes with the NFL way of doing things. Where a coach in the NFL is a glorified baby-sitter; a college coach needs to shape boys into being men on the field and Hawk does a great job at helping these kids grow into men.

I agree that if he leaves, it'll be when Cody is done or even longer and to some place in the Pac-10.

I agree with all of this. Certainly don't see him leaving until Cody is done, hopefully long after that. As far as his personal philosophy goes, to me he seems like the type of guy who will always have to have a challenge. I think just that characteristic is going to keep him from settling in anywhere for 20 years as he would have to at CU to finish his career here. I fully expect that at some point he will leave. And when he does, I think he will leave a program that is infinitely stronger than the one he inherited. I think finding people who want to succeed Hawk will be much easier than finding somebody who wanted to take on the mess that Hawk inherited, on and off the field.

Didn't mean to send DBT into therapy.

Don't worry about it - it was long overdue... :cool:

I think the Hawk needs about five 8+ win seasons before we send him off to USC. Otherwise, he's just Joe Glenn at a better football school. I for one, think he'll do it. If he does, he'll leave us in much better shape for the next guy than the last two guys did. If the wheels are still on the truck and there is gas in tank, someone else will still be able to drive it. Hawk has had to overhaul the engine and he still is working on the timing. (I'm sticking to my metaphor here)

Good discussion. Just to add, if the $$$ and circumstances were right, I could see him at Stanford, too.

Good discussion. Just to add, if the $$$ and circumstances were right, I could see him at Stanford, too.

He would fit with the staff but i am not sure the alumni/students would dig the Rah-rah attitude much. Besides i think they have a hell of a coach in Harbaugh (sp?)

Back