What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU wins 24-0, the GOOD, BAD and the UGLY....

Play call has something to do with it.

People seem pretty down on this team even after today's win.

Adding Burney at Safety and simplifying the defense did wonders for us today. Granted Wyoming did not execute all game, but we were aggressive, tackled well, didn't give up any big plays and played very tough on defense.

Cody did what he had to do. He did not turn the ball over and made a couple big throws in the first half. He made a great play on 3rd and long in the first half on his pass to Mcknight.

Lockridge dropped a wide open pass. Cody got the ball to him.

Major played a ton and looked pretty good. The late hit penalty on him was complete BS.

Loved Hawk's comments after the game on 850.

It was great to see Major really show up today. He's one of the guys who need to play big for the D to take the next step.

After More In Depth Analysis:

The Good:

The defense looked better. Yes, Wyoming's offense was just that bad. Against the run though, the front seven looked like they were reacting and not thinking.

Stuck with the run.

Used Lockridge (speed) on a deep route. The ball wasn't perfect, but it was catchable.

The Bad:

Cody can only complete a ball more than ten yards down the field if he gets 5 or 6 seconds to run around and make something happen. That's not going to happen again against a defense this year.

Playcalling. Speedy up the middle. Summler out wide. I just don't get it.

The Ugly:

The WR rotation. It's been beaten to death. Hasn't changed.

O-Line still needs a lot of work. Cody spent a lot of time avoiding rushers, and the RBs were already making cuts behind or right at the line.

The secondary. Wow... thank God Wyoming doesn't have a better QB. Wow... Just not good.

Same crappy coaching we've seen for three years.

My Rant:

Where's the killer instinct. This game could have, should have, been won by 40. When you're moving the ball, AT HOME, and settle for a field goal from your own two, there's something wrong. That's an opportunity to put your foot on the opponents throat. Especially the way the D was playing. Even in a game like this, these coaches are playing 'not to lose' instead of to win. When the team does come out like today, and put a solid drive together, Juicebox gets a lead and turtles. Yeah, the absolute offensive ineptitude has something to do with it. After the first drive Juicebox took his foot off the gas. Irritates me.

My Feelings:

This game didn't tell us anything. It was Wyoming.

WV and Texas are still going to wipe us. KU is the next game for realistic analysis. KU was a toss-up game before the season, and if the defense stays simple and continues to improve over the next month, it could be a toss-up game again.

Unfortunately, at this point, afte 3 years and 3 games now, I feel like the offense is what it is. And what is is isn't good and isn't getting better.

The Good:
Defense:

Shut out, anyway you slice it
Burney to Safety is the best move made all year.
Major flies around but obviously still lost. His QB "pressure" was b/c he didn't know his assignment and just went after the QB. Not the worst solution.
Mohler back is nice to see.

Offense:

No picks by Cody. Made a couple of nice throws and plays with his feet
Some semblance of a running game.
Simas is actually eligible and on the field. See below for the rest.
ST:
Goodman kicked the ball well. Both FGs and Kickoffs

The Bad:

Defense:
D-Line still gets very little push and pressure is suspect.
Wyo's offense was pretty inept.
Offense:

Snap over the head for a turnover.
Inability to get 1 yard twice on 3rd and 4th and 1.
Missed opportunities in passing game. No deep threat.
Where was the sweep in the first half?
Did we lose our screen pass play sheet? 1 pass to B Lock - 17 yards, and get this... he looked fast!

The Ugly:

A delay of game on 3rd and 2 because you can't get the right personnel on the field. And this was not the grouping that supposedly doesn't know the play book. This was Ebner, Ham and Espinoza.

WR issues have already been mentioned.

Now our LB shifting is starting to look just as bad as the WR.

San Diego's rant above is right on, we should have poured it on this team. At least 35 points. We either got conservative or complacent.

It is a win but there still needs to be improvement.

After More In Depth Analysis:

The Good:

The defense looked better. Yes, Wyoming's offense was just that bad. Against the run though, the front seven looked like they were reacting and not thinking.

Stuck with the run.

Used Lockridge (speed) on a deep route. The ball wasn't perfect, but it was catchable.

The Bad:

Cody can only complete a ball more than ten yards down the field if he gets 5 or 6 seconds to run around and make something happen. That's not going to happen again against a defense this year.

Playcalling. Speedy up the middle. Summler out wide. I just don't get it.

The Ugly:

The WR rotation. It's been beaten to death. Hasn't changed.

O-Line still needs a lot of work. Cody spent a lot of time avoiding rushers, and the RBs were already making cuts behind or right at the line.

The secondary. Wow... thank God Wyoming doesn't have a better QB. Wow... Just not good.

Same crappy coaching we've seen for three years.

My Rant:

Where's the killer instinct. This game could have, should have, been won by 40. When you're moving the ball, AT HOME, and settle for a field goal from your own two, there's something wrong. That's an opportunity to put your foot on the opponents throat. Especially the way the D was playing. Even in a game like this, these coaches are playing 'not to lose' instead of to win. When the team does come out like today, and put a solid drive together, Juicebox gets a lead and turtles. Yeah, the absolute offensive ineptitude has something to do with it. After the first drive Juicebox took his foot off the gas. Irritates me.

My Feelings:

:lol: the secondary was actually pretty solid today. Yes, Wyoming missed a couple 5-10 yard passes, but lets not pretend like Wyo was missing TD passes.

We are supposed to be a power running team that controls the clock. And especially with the way the defense has played in recent weeks, why would we not want to run the ball in the second half? That was the game plan.

Sumler had 8 carries. Stewart had 32. Stewart was used on counters, tosses and up the middle. Stewart was very successful running up the middle against WVU last year.

Enjoy the ****ing win!

Last edited:
:lol: the secondary was actually pretty solid today. Yes, Wyoming missed a couple 5-10 yard passes, but lets not pretend like Wyo was missing TD passes.

We are supposed to be a power running team that controls the clock. And especially with the way the defense has played in recent weeks, why would we not want to run the ball in the second half? That was the game plan.

Sumler had 8 carries. Stewart had 32. Stewart was used on counters, tosses and up the middle. Stewart was very successful running up the middle against WVU last year.

Enjoy the ****ing win!

Our OL can't block,especially up the middle. Stewart and sumler ran better outside the tackles. If scott returns that's a good 1-2 punch but with this bye week, the OL coach needs to give this OL a wake up call.

The good:
I didn't see any big runs today. D was sound (even if it was against a weak team).

The bad:
The O stalled in the 2nd qtr. We should have been leading 30+ to zero by the half with the way the D was playing. Too many stalled drives. Not enough pounding the ball.

The ugly:
Injury bug AGAIN!!!!! Scott, Simas (anyone else? )... I thought Pitman was going to make our guys stronger and tougher so we get hurt less!!!

Oline still getting pushed around...I thought Pitman was going to make our guys stronger and tougher so we don't get pushed around!!! WTF Coach P!!!!!!

The good:

WIN
WIN
WIN
Much improvement on D
Major on the field
Speedy getting carries
WIN
WIN
WIN
Goodman still kicking well
Good crowd
Lock got a few more touches and still looks dangerous
B.J. Beatty!
WIN
WIN
WIN

The bad

That good crowd was as lame as I've ever seen. At least down in 121 where we were. I swear 3 people in the whole section knew the fight song...
No Scott (hurt? since when?)
Simas?
Cody's feet are still way too happy
Simmons???????
The o-line. I know there were some position shifts this week, but this group has got to play better.

The ugly

Wyo's offense. That is possibly the worst D-1 offense I have ever seen. The Wyo fans I talked to seemed to agree, although not in those words. When I mentioned to one I thought they had a good coach, I was told we were welcome to him...
Wyo's kicker. Goodman flashbacks from last year all over the place...
Mike Bohn putting his hand on my knee.
Arriving for the game at 1:15 or so and seeing no Allbuffers still holding down the tailgate site.
Leaving the game and seeing no Allbuffers returning to the tailgate site.
My envy of the other U-Dub and their hire of Steve Sarkisian...

The good:

The ugly

Wyo's offense. That is possibly the worst D-1 offense I have ever seen. The Wyo fans I talked to seemed to agree, although not in those words. When I mentioned to one I thought they had a good coach, I was told we were welcome to him...
Wyo's kicker. Goodman flashbacks from last year all over the place...
Mike Bohn putting his hand on my knee.
Arriving for the game at 1:15 or so and seeing no Allbuffers still holding down the tailgate site.
Leaving the game and seeing no Allbuffers returning to the tailgate site.
My envy of the other U-Dub and their hire of Steve Sarkisian...
:wow:
Mike, I'd rather have better season ticket seats than anything you can "offer me in the privacy of your office..."

The Good
We won
Defense looked good
Rodney Stewart is the best RB on the roster
McKnight had another great game

The Bad
Cody is not a good QB. There was a point in the 1st half where I counted EIGHT missed passes, of which 2 would have been TD's. He looked ugly

The Ugly
The depth chart we used on offense. Where is Simmons? Where is Simas (I guess hurt)?

It makes me a little nuts to see us going for 4th and short in our territory in the 1st half - hawk did that against csu, too. And if Lobato is going to come in for Cody, why not put him in at the end of games to get a little feel for it?

It makes me a little nuts to see us going for 4th and short in our territory in the 1st half - hawk did that against csu, too. And if Lobato is going to come in for Cody, why not put him in at the end of games to get a little feel for it?

We should be able to make 1 yard against Wyoming. :huh:

Tired, tired, tired, sick and flippen tired of Cody locking on McKnight as soon as the ball is snapped. If that keeps happening we're gonna get killed in Big 12 play(still might anyway). Even in a 24-0 win Cody still looks mediocre. :huh:

But a win is a win. Big props to the D on the shutout. There was some fight in this team today. Good to see. :thumbsup:

For all we know, Cody could still be injured or suffering from the concussion. He's still the QB that beat Oklahoma. If the O-line gets better, Cody will be adequate.

For all we know, Cody could still be injured or suffering from the concussion. He's still the QB that beat Oklahoma. If the O-line gets better, Cody will be adequate.

Oklahoma was almost 2 years ago. Cody is a warrior but he can't make plays downfield.

For the record, these were Cody's stats in that Oklahoma game:

22/36 (61%), 220 yards, 6.1 per attempt, 2 tds, 2 ints, 3 carries for -8 yards

Our defense and Hugh Charles won that game.

We held Sam Bradford to an 8/19, 112 yard, 1 td, 2 int day.

Defense also forced the only fumble of the game to win the turnover battle.

Charles ran for 110 yards and 1 td on 24 carries.

Cody was a decent game manager that day, but let's not pretend he was a playmaker out there.

For the record, these were Cody's stats in that Oklahoma game:

22/36 (61%), 220 yards, 6.1 per attempt, 2 tds, 2 ints, 3 carries for -8 yards

Our defense and Hugh Charles won that game.

We held Sam Bradford to an 8/19, 112 yard, 1 td, 2 int day.

Defense also forced the only fumble of the game to win the turnover battle.

Charles ran for 110 yards and 1 td on 24 carries.

Cody was a decent game manager that day, but let's not pretend he was a playmaker out there.

Do you have that stat line saved and ready to go with a cut and paste?

What is our or has been a better option than Cody? None that I have seen.

Do you have that stat line saved and ready to go with a cut and paste?

What is our or has been a better option than Cody? None that I have seen.

So, what, should I pretend that he's a good quarterback since we haven't been able to recruit/develop a better one?

I don't understand your post. :confused:

* btw, you can go to espn, type in a player's name to go to their page, and then go to the game log to get the stats for any game they've played in. :smile:

So, what, should I pretend that he's a good quarterback since we haven't been able to recruit/develop a better one?

I don't understand your post. :confused:

* btw, you can go to espn, type in a player's name to go to their page, and then go to the game log to get the stats for any game they've played in. :smile:

Just found it funny that I feel I have read that stat line before. Maybe not necessarily from you. Google works wonderful too.

I didn't say Cody is good. I am just tired of the bashing when we have no better options and unfortunately that has been the case for 3 years. A failure on Hawkins and Barnett's part.

Just found it funny that I feel I have read that stat line before. Maybe not necessarily from you. Google works wonderful too.

I didn't say Cody is good. I am just tired of the bashing when we have no better options and unfortunately that has been the case for 3 years. A failure on Hawkins and Barnett's part.

Hawk doesn't want another qb, the only person to give the ball to other than cody is hansen and he got to play 2 games last year.

Fair enough.

I didn't think I was bashing, though. I said he did a decent job managing the game. I'll even add that it was a very good game for a RS-Freshman against a very fast defense. I was just taking exception to any insinuation that his play won that game for us. It's a distortion of the facts and I've seen it before from the Cody fans.

THE GOOD

Cu wins 24-0. The defense was great for 60 minutes and got presssure. Beatty,herrod and major played great.They dropped 3 picks though.

THE BAD

CU ol for how big and strong they are get NO push at the line of scrimmage. Johnson needs to get in their *** and demand better. No excuse to keep getting pushed around.

Cody, overthrows, fumbled snaps and never looks anywhere but to mcknight.

The ugly..

24 POINTS and only 7 in the 2nd half? Should have scored 40+ and where was simas,simmons and wright? They can't keep leaving these guys on the bench while espinosa plays.

In the end it's awin and I'm going to enjoy it for what it is but this offense has a ton of work to do.

I agree with everything except the O-line. I thought the line played well today and controlled the line of scrimmage.

I agree with everything except the O-line. I thought the line played well today and controlled the line of scrimmage.

Huh? Cody was running for his life and they kept getting stuffed at the line. 3 times it was 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and they couldn't get it.

They did better running outside but inside they were poor.

Fair enough.

I didn't think I was bashing, though. I said he did a decent job managing the game. I'll even add that it was a very good game for a RS-Freshman against a very fast defense. I was just taking exception to any insinuation that his play won that game for us. It's a distortion of the facts and I've seen it before from the Cody fans.

Didn't mean you. Referring to the overall bashing taking place on the board and elsewhere.

Huh? Cody was running for his life and they kept getting stuffed at the line. 3 times it was 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and they couldn't get it.

They did better running outside but inside they were poor.

Ok the short yardage was not good, but that had more to do with the playcalling. The line played good today, a lot of holes and they pushed WYo around.

Nothing today changed the fact that our O line is still below par. Our coaching is dreadful. How do you explain running Summler wide and Stewart up the gut? Our QB play is a joke. Even if Simmons and Simas were on the field, Cody could not get the ball to them. Our defense shut out a horrible Wyoming offense. This, my friend, is what they call a mirage. Texas might put up 70 against us in a few weeks. Our D line will get pushed around with little effort in Big 12 play.

If we had another QB in there who could actually throw down field and if we put emphasis on the running game we might be decent this season. Scott has to be the main back with Stewart as the change of pace runner. We need to use our tight ends more in the recieving game while incorporating Simmons and Simas in the passing game. If we did this, we could get something going.

But will Hawk do all of the above? Of course not. He will continue to field his son who in turn will continue to throw only to Mcknight and Espinoza. At season's end we will win four games and lose eight. Hawkins will tell everyone we are on the cusp of a big year the following season. Our cheap athletic dept will keep him for one more year. Cody will look as bad as he did this year and we will finally have to fire Hawk after another losing season. (our 5th in six seasons)

So, forgive me if I dont celebrate the fact that we beat WYOMING! WYOMING? Are you kidding me?!! Is this how far we have fallen? Fans celebrating Wyoming! Hawkins has killed us.

He is also the guy who lost to... Hell, the list is too long to type out. If Cody is injured he shouldn't be playing, he should be on the bench with all the rest of our "injured" impact players.

Back