What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Buffs Run Away With Second Straight Sweep (Cross country)

RSSBot

News Junkie
Colorado swept the NCAA Mountain Region Championships on Friday afternoon, automatically advancing to the NCAA Championships on Nov. 21.
Continue reading...

"
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — For the second time this season, the University of Colorado cross country program swept the competition off its feet as the Buffs won both the men’s and women’s NCAA Mountain Region titles on Friday morning.

The No. 2 women upset top-ranked New Mexico by one point, defeating the Lobos 49-50, to earn their third straight region title, while the No. 1 men recorded a 10-point victory over No. 11 UTEP (67-77).

“I hoped to get both teams through [to NCAAs] and that happened,” head coach Mark Wetmore said. “The women winning is kind of an accident, but the main thing was to get through and we did it.”

The Buffs also swept the Pac-12 Championships two weeks ago.

"

Full results- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210495788

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to both Buff teams for the wins and qualifying, and impressively for 6 members of both men's and women's teams earning "all region" honors with their Top 25 finishes!

Now hope they can get some great rest and recovery while staying sharp for when they race for the "whole enchilada" (podium finishes, ideally on the top step) at THE NCAA championships next Saturday in Louisville KY.

The New Mexico Lobos woman's team top five finished in a tight sequential cluster only 4 seconds apart. The Buffs couldn't have shaved it more closely. Kaitlyn Benner is having a tremendous season. Carrie Verndon is off.

Boy, I'd say cross country has been pretty consistently impressive over the years! (Goals for ALL the Buff sports!)

Last edited:
Reading some of the cross-country forums, it sounds like the Buffs are vulnerable this season. Having trouble around the #6 runner.

Reading some of the cross-country forums, it sounds like the Buffs are vulnerable this season. Having trouble around the #6 runner.

Definitely no running expert (I just prowl the running boards myself), but I think most of that depth talk was BEFORE the Buffs "burned" the red shirt of junior Ben Saarel (the only Buff to finish top 10, or even top 15, in the last 2 national championships) just last weekend at regionals.

There are 2 teams (Stanford and Syracuse) who have very talented runners who, if they have great days, could put those schools ahead of the Buffs through 2-3 runners, and either one definitely could win the championships if enough Buffs have a mediocre or worse day. However, with Mr. Saarel running in black and gold again, along with sophomore Zach Perrin having his best race of the year at regionals after recovering from (per Coach Wetmore) illness, the Buffs should be pretty solid 7 deep now. The key possibly could be whether SOLID freshman contributor John Dressel can continue his good work and come through with a big result so close (8 days) after regionals at a longer (10K) distance than he's use to running at high school.

(Of course, in general, is there EVER a sure thing in sports? Who had Ohio State winning the football championship this time last year?)

Reactions: dio
Yeah - My understanding is that they're still the favorites, but it isn't as runaway as it was thought at the beginning of the year. Some are interpreting the burning of the RS as panic my Wetmore..... Will Saarel be in shape? I've been reading that Syracuse has the best Top 3 in the nation, but nothing much after that. Lousiville (I think) supposedly just brought up a Kenyan, so their Top 6 has five excellent Kenyan's in it. And of course, Standford has been right on CU's heels all season.

The other comment I read was the the course is going to be very fast, which doesn't play to the Buffs. The Buffs supposedly like to hang back a little early, then pounce.

Regardless, I'm feeling a bit uneasy

There is no reason to believe top spot on the podium is automatic. CU has a target on their backs. Pulling off a three peat is no easy task.

Hope all the runners are free from allergies or any other respiratory crud and are not hampered by injury.

Fingers crossed the Buffs peak at the right time and hit some PRs

Go Buffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
New national polls released after the regional races. No surprise that the men stay #1 and women #2 in the country. (Thankfully, the next poll will be purely based on what happens on the dirt, mud and/ or grass at Louisville.)

Since the Women just best NM in the regional, the disrespect shown in the rankings adds a little extra motivation.

Back