What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Combined Events Headline First Weekend of Pac-12s (Track and Field)

RSSBot

News Junkie
The 2016 Pac-12 Track and Field Championships officially get underway on Saturday, May 7 with the heptathlon and decathlon taking main stage.
Continue reading...

"
BOULDER –The 2016 Pac-12 Track and Field Championships officially get underway on Saturday, May 7 with the heptathlon and decathlon taking main stage for two days on the campus of the University of Washington.

Senior Abrianna Torres will led the group of four CU athletes, two women and two men. Torres currently ranks second in the Pac-12 in the heptathlon with 5,528 points. She has scored for the Buffs each of the past three years Torres has competed at Pac-12s: She was third in the heptathlon in 2013, eighth in 2014 and fifth in 2015.

Freshman Maja Wichhart-Donzo will join Torres in the heptathlon. She enters the event ranked eighth in the conference with a score of 4,832.

On the men’s side, sophomore Andrew Ghizzone has put together the sixth best decathlon score in the conference this season at 6,876 and freshman Isaiah Oliver is ranked 10th with a score of 6,415.

The rest of the Pac-12 Championships will be May 14-15, also in Seattle. The Huskies will host the meet on campus at Husky Track.
"

Live Results- http://www.gohuskies.com/fls/30200/trackresults/050716/index.htm

Live Video- None?!? (Per the Buff Meet notes, "TV Info...The three-hour show of the championships will be broadcast tape delayed on May 22 at 10 a.m. on Pac-12 Network.")

Edit- Adding Event Schedule- https://pac-12.com/track-field/championships/event-schedule-2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of wishes to the Buff decathletes and heptathletes this weekend!

(To rant for a minute- Must say it surprises me that (1) the Pac Network isn't covering some or all of these Championships live or (2) at minimum, Washington isn't providing a live stream. I sometimes give the Pac 12 network an out on some "Olympic sport" championships they don't cover well that I assume would take quite a few cameras to cover effectively (golf, cross country, etc.), but track and field (which is probably THE EPITOME of sport) I assume could be covered with 4 cameras or less.

Looking at it a little more, It's even stranger. Just went into the Pac 12 network, and it says it IS televising the "Oregon Twilight" meet tonight at 7 PM (MT), but then does a very truncated tape delay highlight show for its own championships???

I still hope a Washington stream may appear on the Pac listings (http://pac-12.com/sports/schedule/network/all-pac12/) for this and/ or at minimum next weekend, as I have occasionally seen streams pop up right before the events start, but I am not optimistic.)

Not related to the Pac 12's, but looks like some of the track team are also competing in a meet at the Air Force Academy.

As a volleyball fan, great to see former player Kelsey English get a season's best (by almost 3 inches!) in the high jump.

Last edited:
Article on the Air Force meet ( http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210937149 ). Congrats to Ana Holland on yet another CU record!

"
U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. – Recently it seems that every time Ana Holland steps out on the track, she's sets a school record, and that is exactly what she did on Friday afternoon at the Air Force Twilight Open, clocking a time of 11.61 seconds to win the 100-meter dash.

The University of Colorado junior-to-be broke her own record of 11.63, which she set less than a month ago in Boulder at the CU Invitational on April 9 after breaking a 26-year-old-record (11.65). Holland also set CU’s 200 record, 23.45, a couple of weeks ago at Mt. SAC Relays, breaking her old record of 23.54.

Holland was joined at the U.S. Air Force Academy by several of her teammates who were also taking advantage of getting in one more meet prior to the postseason. The meet paid off for many of them as the Buffs came away with numerous season and personals bests to move up the regional performance list.

The Pac-12 Championships officially get underway on Saturday, May 7, in Seattle. Only the combined events (heptathlon and decathlon) will be contested this Saturday and Sunday. All other events will be contested May 14-15.
"

Looks like some very good performances by the multi-event Buffs so far. Got to love seeing that PR (Personal Record) acronym or "college best" in a few of the tweets already!

Article on today's events available in the article linked to below. Looks like it was a very solid 1st day for the Buffs. Hope they can finish strong and start Pac 12's off with some good points for the team after both the decathlon and heptathlon finish up tomorrow afternoon.
(Note- For those interested in hearing how 2 sport athlete Isaiah Oliver is doing this year juggling 2 sports and academics, Buffzone (written by Brian Howell) today released an article at http://www.buffzone.com/football-cu...saiah-oliver-meshes-football-skills-decathlon .)

to quote parts of the linked- to article on today's events-

"
SEATTLE – After the first day of competition at the 2016 Pac-12 Track and Field Championships,Abrianna Torres leads the University of Colorado as she is currently third in the heptathlon with 3,383 points.

“Abrianna had two PRs in the high jump, first clearing 5-8.75 and then at 5-10, which was huge,” assistant coach Lindsey Malone said. “That mark should get her to the first round of the NCAAs and if she does that there, she could get into NCAAs and if she does that potentially at NCAAs, she could be an All-American. Having that under her belt today, and seeing her shine, was really fun. Afterwards, she told me she knew she had more height in her, so next weekend will be really fun when we come back and she competes in the open high jump.”

Colorado’s Maja Wichhart-Donzo also had a good day and is currently eighth with 3,051 points. ...

“I’m really proud of Maja,” Malone said. “I know she is only a freshman, but I have to remind myself that because she comes out with composure, she comes out ready to race. Everything went wonderfully for her today, except she had a little hiccup in the high jump; she has jumped higher than that, but everything else went great. Her score is a very good first day score for a freshman in the heptathlon.”

The men are also in good position after the first day of the decathlon with Isaiah Oliver in sixth and Andrew Ghizzone 10th.

Oliver, who is competing in just the second decathlon of his collegiate career, recorded a first day score of 3,791 points. ...
“Isaiah is a freshman that behaves like a senior,” Malone said. “He comes out and gets it done. He is able to make adjustments during the meet. It was beautiful here today, but it was hot, so for him to finish the 400 like he did shows a lot of courage and gumption.”

Ghizzone also had a solid first day. ... He is traditionally stronger on the second day of action, but is up 44 points from where he was in 2015 (3,343).

“I think Andrew is probably a little disappointed,” Malone said. “He prepped really well for this and I think some things could have gone a little better. I’m proud of him because he stays very focused and very consistent within a range. Andrew is one of those who will pull through. His heart big enough that if he is behind and there is a chance that he can score tomorrow, he will do it.”

The second and final day of the combined events championships is Sunday, May 8.
"

Looks like a nice finish for the Buff women in the heptathlon, as senior Abrianna Torres ends up earning a 4th place (good for 5 points in the team competition), and freshman Maja Wichhart-Donzo also earns a point for the Buffs with her 8th place finish. Congrats to both!

The men are through 8 of 10 events of the decathlon, with freshman Isaiah Oliver in 8th and sophomore Andrew Ghizzone in 10th. Javelin and 1500M remains.

Last edited:

And, article on the finish of the Pac 12 Multi-Events- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210940646

"
SEATTLEAbrianna Torres led the University of Colorado as she placed fourth in the heptathlon on Sunday at the 2016 Pac-12 Track and Field Championships.

Torres earned a two-day score of 5,440 points and placed third in the first two events of the day with some great marks. She jumped 18-4.50 in the long jump and followed it up with a throw of 117-10 in the javelin. The final event was the 800-meter run, where Torres ended up ninth in 2:26.36.

Torres, who just graduated from CU, has scored for the Buffs every year in the heptathlon at the championships. As a freshman she was third (5,357) and then took eighth her sophomore season (4,810). Last season as a junior, Torres was fifth with 5,455 points, which still stands as her personal best.

Colorado also recorded another point in the heptathlon for the team score with an eighth place finish (4,794) by Maja Wichhart-Donzo. Wichhart-Donzo entered the day in eighth place, but dropped down to 10th after the first two events. She was 11th in the long jump after leaping 16-1 and then recorded a toss of 90-00 in the javelin. A solid 800 time of 2:23.01, a personal best, propelled her back into eighth and earned her a spot on the podium.

The men’s team also picked up a couple of points with Isaiah Oliver placing seventh in the decathlon. Oliver recorded a PR of 6,952 points, bettering his previous 6,415 performance. That mark also puts him seventh on CU’s all-time performers list.

Despite not placing on the podium, CU’s Andrew Ghizzone had a very respectable day, finishing 10th with 6,724 points. He was eighth to start the day in the 110-hurdles (15.31) and 10th in the discus (104-0). The pole vault is his best event and there he placed second overall after reaching 15-1. Ghizzone was sixth in the javelin, recording a mark of 139-1, and finished his day second in the 1,500 in 4:27.64.

The Pac-12 Championships will continue next Saturday and Sunday, May 14-15, in Seattle. Colorado’s women are currently third with six points and the men are sixth with two points.
"

Back