1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CUBuffs.com: Ormeno Ruiz Wins Mountain Region Championship (Tennis)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by RSSBot, Oct 18, 2015.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

Junior Nuria Ormeno Ruiz won the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championship Sunday becoming the first player in CU history to win the regional si... Continue reading...

"
    LAS VEGAS -- University of Colorado junior Nuria Ormeno Ruiz won the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championship Sunday becoming the first player in CU history to win the regional singles title.

Ormeno Ruiz had a great comeback and defeated Denver's Julia O'Loughlin by a score of 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. The first two sets were conducted outside and then rain forced the players inside to for the final set.

“I’m still shaking from this match,” Ormeno Ruiz said a few hours later about to board her plane back to Colorado. “I knew what Las Vegas was like but I could never have imagined I would get this far.”

With the win, Ormeno Ruiz automatically qualifies for the USTA National Indoor Championships in New York City on Nov. 12-15.
    "

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  2. AztecBuff

AztecBuff Club Member Club Member

Big congrats to Ms. Ormeno Ruiz. Always love to see CU "1st's" when they're positive ones like this Mountain Region win!

Hope she and the team continue to put the work in and improve before the brutal Pac 12 schedule (the 4 CA teams all ended up ranked in the Top 11 nationally last year) starts in the spring.