What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cue the SEC fans

Should SEC get special consideration?

• Yes. 12-1 SEC Champ belongs

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No. Undefeated big boy conference team trumps SEC

Votes: 90 94.7%

• Total voters
UCLA and Oregon State are nowhere near elite teams... do you consider South Carolina and Texas A&M elite?

Elite teams don't get their asses kicked during the season. SCar isn't elite. aTm hasn't lost badly this year, but they did give up 57 to La Tech. While that offense is outstanding, I doubt any truly elite team gives up 57 points to them.

Clemson is having an outstanding season with their only loss being to FSU. FSU nearly lost to a ****** VT, but that was on the road on Thursday (even Hawk pulled those upsets). I think the ACC is definitely down, but the teams at the top of the conference can still compete with just about anyone.

If not the SEC, which is the best conference this year?

If it weren't for CU dragging things down, a good case could be made for the Pac-12. Big 12 and BiG each had some of their best teams lose to the Pac-12 in the early season. Still, though, got to give it to the SEC. I'm not as sold on the Big 12 as the computers. They had a couple teams that were hot early and have completely imploded.

Let's say we did an SEC / Pac-12 challenge. Kind of hard since they have 14 to our 12. But let's go with the Top 10. It would shake out something like this:

1. Alabama vs Oregon
2. Georgia vs Stanford
3. LSU vs USC
4. Florida vs Oregon State
5. South Carolina vs UCLA
6. Texas A&M vs Arizona State
7. Mississippi State vs Washington
8. Vanderbilt vs Arizona
9. Mississippi vs Cal
10. Missouri vs Utah

I think that would be pretty damn competitive. Could go either way.

Yeah, have you looked at the latest Top 10. The SEC has 5 of the teams. 50% of the Top 10 are SEC teams. Gee that's really an embarrassment this year.

How do you justify the 2 two loss SEC teams over any of the one loss teams.

Yeah, have you looked at the latest Top 10. The SEC has 5 of the teams. 50% of the Top 10 are SEC teams. Gee that's really an embarrassment this year.

I'm glad you let others think for you and never critically analyze anything.

And yet again, you have failed to address any of my points about the actual depth of the conference. Keep digging.

Using the status quo opinion as support in a thread challenging the validity of the status quo = winning

I've stated already in this thread that the SEC was a great football conference. I thought we were making fun of SEC fans. Sorry if I was doing this wrong.

6 SEC teams are ranked in the top 9 of the latest BCS standings. Now back to the regularly-scheduled SEC bashing.

6 SEC teams are ranked in the top 9 of the latest BCS standings. Now back to the regularly-scheduled SEC bashing.

So whose point are you making here? There are a lot of folks on this board saying that SEC teams get too much respect in rankings. Can I assume that you're supporting they're point with your post?

3 of them with 2 losses and ranked ahead of 1-loss Florida State and Clemson teams. That's voter bias, not a representation of quality.

Should any of those teams be ahead of a 2-loss Stanford that lost a controversial road OT game at #3 Notre Dame and a 4-point road loss at a Washington team that will finish 8-4 despite one of the nation's toughest schedules?

3 of them with 2 losses and ranked ahead of 1-loss Florida State and Clemson teams. That's voter bias, not a representation of quality.

Should any of those teams be ahead of a 2-loss Stanford that lost a controversial road OT game at #3 Notre Dame and a 4-point road loss at a Washington team that will finish 8-4 despite one of the nation's toughest schedules?

You can see it now: if Oregon loses to Stanford (doubtful, but possible), it will be because Oregon was severely overrated, not because the PAC-12 has depth as a conference.

Funny how that works.

i have a question.

since atm beat bama, does this mean atm will claim they are 2012 and 2013 national champions?

While I believe that Clemson is one of the better 1-loss teams, they lost the one tough game they had. And FSU lost to a bad NC State team. The ACC has 2 very good teams, that's it.

While I believe that Clemson is one of the better 1-loss teams, they lost the one tough game they had. And FSU lost to a bad NC State team. The ACC has 2 very good teams, that's it.

I think scar will go down against Clemson. Clemson is going to put a ton of points on the board and without Lattimore no way they win. That d is stellar, but Clemson is ridiculous.

Mississippi State is going to be a 9 win team with their best win being.. Ole Miss. :lol:

South Carolina has 1 win over a good team, Georgia, and only has 1 tough game left against Clemson.

Jesus who did Georgia pay for this schedule? Their one win over anyone with a pulse is Florida. They got steamrolled by South Carolina.

Florida has 2 solid wins over South Carolina and LSU. They also have a couple of nail-biting victories over Louisiana Lafayette and Missouri, both at home. At least they finish the year against FSU so we'll know a little more about where they're at as a team.

Ugh, even A&M only has one good win over Alabama, although that's a hell of a one win. Nail-biting victory over Louisiana Tech as well in there..

Mississippi State is going to be a 9 win team with their best win being.. Ole Miss. :lol:

South Carolina has 1 win over a good team, Georgia, and only has 1 tough game left against Clemson.

Jesus who did Georgia pay for this schedule? Their one win over anyone with a pulse is Florida. They got steamrolled by South Carolina.

Florida has 2 solid wins over South Carolina and LSU. They also have a couple of nail-biting victories over Louisiana Lafayette and Missouri, both at home. At least they finish the year against FSU so we'll know a little more about where they're at as a team.

Ugh, even A&M only has one good win over Alabama, although that's a hell of a one win. Nail-biting victory over Louisiana Tech as well in there..

This is what I'm saying with my posts. The top of the SEC is great as is (nearly) EVERY BCS conference. But with only 8 conference games and since a lot of teams play NOBODY OOC, until bowl season, a lot of these teams have hyper inflated rankings due to a W/L record that says nothing of note. ND schedules 8 home games a year. If they get left out of the MNC I don't mind one bit for that reason. Good teams play on the road and win. You need luck and a good schedule to make a MNC run.

BTW, this is the second year in a row that UGA has avoided LSU and Bama as well. We could go up and down the list of teams and a lot of them don't play anyone worth a damn or when they do they split the games 50/50. Auburn lost to Clemson and Arky lost to Rutgers. Vandy (this was going to be *the* year to play in a bowl) lost to Northwestern; they still have to play Wake Forest. Ole miss lost to Texas.

Bama beat Michigan. LSU beat UDub. Those teams are elite and will have a marquee game just about every year. Nothing but props to LSU who took down Bama, WVU and UO last year. That was incredible and it was a shame they couldn't bring it home.

Their top teams are elite. UGA will most likely beat GT. UL-Lafayette nearly beat UF until the last seconds of the game. LaTech scored 57 against aTm, but lost. Tennessee went into OT with Troy at home and nearly lost. UL-Monroe beat Arky and took Auburn to OT (they sit at 6-4). You can't separate the wheat from the chaff and say top to bottom the SEC is the best when you ignore at the ****astic teams. Same goes for the Pac12 and us, unfortunately.

Last edited:
BCS BOWL GAME ALL-TIME RECORDS

Highest Winning Percentage by Conference
Mountain West .....................................3-1 ............................... .750
Southeastern.......................................16-7 .............................. .696
Western Athletic...................................2-1 .............................. .667
Pacific-12 ........................................* 11-7 ............................... .611
Big Ten...........................................*12-13 .............................. .480
Big East................................................7-7 .............................. .500
Big 12.................................................9-10 .............................. .475
Atlantic Coast.....................................2-12 ............................. . .154
Independents........................................0-3 .............................. .000
* The Pac-12’s official record is 10-6 because two USC appearances were vacated.
The Big Ten’s official record is 11-13 because one Ohio State appearance was vacated.

BCS BOWL GAME ALL-TIME RECORDS

Highest Winning Percentage by Conference
Mountain West .....................................3-1 ............................... .750
Southeastern.......................................16-7 .............................. .696
Western Athletic...................................2-1 .............................. .667
Pacific-12 ........................................* 11-7 ............................... .611
Big Ten...........................................*12-13 .............................. .480
Big East................................................7-7 .............................. .500
Big 12.................................................9-10 .............................. .475
Atlantic Coast.....................................2-12 ............................. . .154
Independents........................................0-3 .............................. .000
* The Pac-12’s official record is 10-6 because two USC appearances were vacated.
The Big Ten’s official record is 11-13 because one Ohio State appearance was vacated.

I thought there was a two team cap on BCS Bowls each season.

The BCS website counts all versions going back to '98.

I understood the data.

Sorry. You missed my point. Every one here acknowledges that the top of the SEC is the cream of the crop, and for a few years they were untouchable.

The prevailing argument on the board seems to be that the SEC might get too much credit in the polls, and also they are not as deep (and by that I mean through the full conference, not just the depth of the top third) of a conference as many SEC fans claim.

By posting the results of the top one or two teams for the last decade and a half, you've provided nothing substantial to counter that argument.

Sorry if my point was lost, initially.

I understood the data.

Sorry. You missed my point. Every one here acknowledges that the top of the SEC is the cream of the crop, and for a few years they were untouchable.

The prevailing argument on the board seems to be that the SEC might get too much credit in the polls, and also they are not as deep (and by that I mean through the full conference, not just the depth of the top third) of a conference as many SEC fans claim.

By posting the results of the top one or two teams for the last decade and a half, you've provided nothing substantial to counter that argument.

Sorry if my point was lost, initially.

I understand your point. I just don't think it matters. Who cares if your 6th best team is better than my 6th best team? Assuming Bama does not get it the BCSCG everybody knows they would still be a favorite on a neutral field against any of those three teams. It doesn't matter if you guys can beat Kentucky or not. It doesn't matter if USC could beat UGA or LSU.

I understand your point. I just don't think it matters. Who cares if your 6th best team is better than my 6th best team? Assuming Bama does not get it the BCSCG everybody knows they would still be a favorite on a neutral field against any of those three teams. It doesn't matter if you guys can beat Kentucky or not. It doesn't matter if USC could beat UGA or LSU.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you. I think Oregon would be favored on a neutral field against Bama right now. Alabama has been struggling defensively the last two weeks against pretty good teams, including losing on their homefield to a first year HC and freshman qb. Oregon is simply a machine. I think Oregon would take Alabama this year.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you. I think Oregon would be favored on a neutral field against Bama right now. Alabama has been struggling defensively the last two weeks against pretty good teams, including losing on their homefield to a first year HC and freshman qb. Oregon is simply a machine. I think Oregon would take Alabama this year.

This. Oregon is a freaking machine.

You missed BC's point. What matters is what SEC fans think might happen on the field, not what actually happens on the field (unless they were proven right, of course), and not what anyone else thinks might happen on the field.

If you want the two best teams, Bama and ND/Oregon. If you want the teams with the best records, it will be ND and Oregon.

If you want the two best teams, Bama and ND/Oregon. If you want the teams with the best records, it will be ND and Oregon.
I no longer think that. Bama has looked very very beatable against the top flight teams on its schedule.

Back