What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cupcakes vs BCS

I'm thinking with the future cash infusion from the Pac 12 TV revenue, Colorado can start aiming towards having 7 home games a year a little more often.

I'd like to see us play 1 big time game a year. Then we have CSU every year which I'd say is not quite a cupcake. For the last two I'd like to see us play decent teams that have a pulse, but hopefully are easy wins. Toledo and Montana State should be easy wins btw. I think it'd also be nice if we could schedule some games against Texas teams so it's not like we're never in Texas playing games (maybe helps a little with recruiting).

With a 9 game conference schedule CU is only going to have 3 non-conference games.

In 2012, CU already has a road game at Fresno State (why!!?) to go along with the CSU game in Denver (again, WHY?). Hopefully the one non-conference game CU will get at home will be a cupcake.

In 2013, CU plays Fresno State in Boulder, CSU in Denver, and one non-conference game not yet decided. Again, hopefully a nice cupcake at home.

In 2013, CU plays Hawaii in Boulder, CSU in Denver - and THIS YEAR I think it would make sense to schedule a quality non-conference opponent IN BOULDER.

In 2014 CU apparently plays in Hawaii again (was this a 2 for 2 arrangement??) which means CU will have TWO home dates to go along with the CSU game in Denver. Hopefully one of those two games will be a cupcake and one will be a decent opponent.

Damn you Bohn for that CSU deal. We need to kick the **** out of these guys so they will drop out.

I'm thinking with the future cash infusion from the Pac 12 TV revenue, Colorado can start aiming towards having 7 home games a year a little more often.

This is tougher that it first looks. Every team in the P12 has the same limitation as CU, only three OOC. Every BCS school wants 7 home games. If you are the Troy athletic director, you also want 6 home games. When Troy offers up a one-and-done with Nebraska, it's because the Nebraska AD has a bigger bag of cash than the next guy.

Schools who whore themselves out for a paycheck (*cough*CU@tOSU*cough) can stand to make some serious money. Schools like Utah State, Webber, UNLV, Idaho, South Dakota, New Mexico State, and others are going to stop answering the phone because of the number of P12 schools begging them for a one-and-done. This will force CU into looking at Northern Colorado, School of Mines, and CSU-Pueblo to help fill the dance card.

This is tougher that it first looks. Every team in the P12 has the same limitation as CU, only three OOC. Every BCS school wants 7 home games. If you are the Troy athletic director, you also want 6 home games. When Troy offers up a one-and-done with Nebraska, it's because the Nebraska AD has a bigger bag of cash than the next guy.

Schools who whore themselves out for a paycheck (*cough*CU@tOSU*cough) can stand to make some serious money. Schools like Utah State, Webber, UNLV, Idaho, South Dakota, New Mexico State, and others are going to stop answering the phone because of the number of P12 schools begging them for a one-and-done. This will force CU into looking at Northern Colorado, School of Mines, and CSU-Pueblo to help fill the dance card.

I say we set up a 1 and done with Grand River University.

In 2014 CU apparently plays in Hawaii again (was this a 2 for 2 arrangement??)...

Hawaii series =

2010 in Boulder
2011 in Honolulu
2014 in Boulder
2015 in Honolulu

Fresno State series =

2012 in Fresno
2013 in Boulder

Colorado State series =

2011 in Denver (CU home)
2012 in Denver (CSU home)
2013 in Denver (CU home)
2014 in Denver (CSU home)
2015 in Denver (CU home)
2016 in Denver (CSU home)
2017 in Denver (CU home)
2018 in Denver (CSU home)
2019 in Denver (CU home)
2020 in Ft. Collins

Pac-12 Schedule:

2011 - 4 home / 5 road
2012 - 5 home / 4 road
2013 - 4 home / 5 road
2014 - 5 home / 4 road
2015 - 4 home / 5 road

How this shakes out for future schedules:

CSU in Denver ("road" team)
Fresno State in Fresno
1 Open Date TBA
5 home Pac-12 games
4 road Pac-12 games

CSU in Denver ("home" team)
Fresno State in Boulder
1 Open Date TBA
4 home Pac-12 games
5 road Pac-12 games

CSU in Denver ("road" team)
Hawaii in Boulder
1 Open Date TBA
5 home Pac-12 games
4 road Pac-12 games

CSU in Denver ("home" team)
Hawaii in Honolulu
1 Open Date TBA
1 Open Date option (13 game potential by NCAA rule w/ playing Hawaii on the road)
5 home Pac-12 games
4 road Pac-12 games

If we are forced into return games, then I hope we look into teams that are in recruiting zones for us. For example, schedule U of Houston, Texas-San Antonio, San Diego State, Hawaii, etc. I see very little upside in games against mid-majors east of the Rockies (sans Texas).

I'd like to see at least one marquee non conf opponent every year. I don't think it hurts us that much since we tend to play down to the opponent anyway. Basically a couple minutes away from being 0-3 against murderers row Toledo, Montana st, and eastern Washington. Then we go 2-1 in our home games against Georgia, FSU, and WVU. I'd rather have the atmosphere and attendance of those last three games.

This is a topic that I am really passionate about. WE SHOULD PLAY NO CUPCAKES. I don't care what the other teams are doing to back into BCS bowls to get beat by Boise State etc...

I want to see quality wins. I will take a close loss to a good team over a blowout against San Diego State any time.

If we are good enough to WIN a BCS bowl or conference championship in the first place, the wins will come.

Yeah but you gotta start somewhere and this team isn't ready and able to beat the top tier teams yet so we should schedule cupcakes so we can have 3 wins for sure going into conference play so that we only need 3 more to get to a bowl which will help recruiting then we should get better then schedule elite teams.

I will take a close loss to a good team over a blowout against San Diego State any time.

So how do you feel about these games:

Miami (FL) 23 CU 3
ASU 21 CU 3
ASU 33 CU 14
FSU 16 CU 3
FSU 39 CU 24
USC 40 CU 3
WSU 47 CU 26
FSU 47 CU 7
UM 27 CU 3

Colorado's record against non-conference BCS opponents since Bill McCartney left is a paltry 8-16.

This is a topic that I am really passionate about. WE SHOULD PLAY NO CUPCAKES. I don't care what the other teams are doing to back into BCS bowls to get beat by Boise State etc...

I want to see quality wins. I will take a close loss to a good team over a blowout against San Diego State any time.

If we are good enough to WIN a BCS bowl or conference championship in the first place, the wins will come.

I don't consider the SDSUs of the world to be cupcakes. I'm happy as long as I don't see 1AA teams on the schedule.

I think that teams tend to play to the level of their competition. If you start the season with cupcakes once you hit conference play you're ****ed (see Nebraska and Texas)

Also, our games have a shot of getting televised if they are against a BCS school, and we will draw many more fans. No one outside of Colorado (except for people on allbuffs and fans of the other team) cares about CU vs Montana State, CU vs New Mexico State, CU vs Wyoming etc...

And who wants to travel to boulder to see CU kill Toledo?

(yes i purposely used some cupcakes that Danny sucked against)

I understand your passion and agree with your sentiment. I also agree that when Colorado is a perennial top 25 program again that the non con should adjust accordingly when we are in the discussion for post season BCS/championships. However to force that kind of schedule on the school know just makes no sense. When people point to team records even just from 2 years ago, they don't care who you played in your non conference, they just read the record. Colorado needs to take advantage of the system that they are forced to play in as much as possible to succeed.

I understand your passion and agree with your sentiment. I also agree that when Colorado is a perennial top 25 program again that the non con should adjust accordingly when we are in the discussion for post season BCS/championships. However to force that kind of schedule on the school know just makes no sense. When people point to team records even just from 2 years ago, they don't care who you played in your non conference, they just read the record. Colorado needs to take advantage of the system that they are forced to play in as much as possible to succeed.

I agree, the system is what gets everyone. Bowl games are cool and all, but unless you're in a BCS bowl it's usually just some game with 20,000 fans in a ****** town on the gulf coast.

Blowing out cupcakes is really boring, and a horrible waste of a home game. I'm all for playing cupcakes on the road, but don't devalue season tickets.

For example, I go to almost every Texas game here in Austin, and they typically start the year with 3 home blowouts before conference play. Its boring as hell. The stadium is 1/4 full after halftime...

I don't consider the SDSUs of the world to be cupcakes. I'm happy as long as I don't see 1AA teams on the schedule.

Exactly. We will have 9 quality bcs opponents a year, CSU, the other two can be anything but 1AA, but I'd much prefer it to be weak(er) teams (central michigan, north texas, indiana, utep ) rather than Ohio States and LSU's.

I agree, the system is what gets everyone. Bowl games are cool and all, but unless you're in a BCS bowl it's usually just some game with 20,000 fans in a ****** town on the gulf coast.

Blowing out cupcakes is really boring, and a horrible waste of a home game. I'm all for playing cupcakes on the road, but don't devalue season tickets.

For example, I go to almost every Texas game here in Austin, and they typically start the year with 3 home blowouts before conference play. Its boring as hell. The stadium is 1/4 full after halftime...

Texas has donations in the multi-millions and their own television network. Comparing them to CU is probably a huge mistake. Texas had 100,000+ fans for their home opener last year. If there were only 50,000 fans after halftime they still had more fans than CU did for their home opener.

Boise doesn't get where it wants because it plays in the WAC and plays teams like San Jose State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, etc and only play one or two real teams a year.
Are you kidding? They get way more than they deserve. They are able to rest their starters almost every game and avoid injuries unlike schools in big time conferences. They only have to "get up" for two games a year. If they were in the SEC, x-Big 12 or whatever they call it now, or the PAC 12, they would have to "get up" almost every week. Avoiding injuries, resting players, and playing second rate competition almost every week, and then being rated in the Top 10. Why would they want it any different?

They want to get respect that they don't deserve in the eyes of the media, that's what I was getting at.

I think that teams tend to play to the level of their competition. If you start the season with cupcakes once you hit conference play you're ****ed (see Nebraska and Texas)

Also, our games have a shot of getting televised if they are against a BCS school, and we will draw many more fans. No one outside of Colorado (except for people on allbuffs and fans of the other team) cares about CU vs Montana State, CU vs New Mexico State, CU vs Wyoming etc...

And who wants to travel to boulder to see CU kill Toledo?

(yes i purposely used some cupcakes that Danny sucked against)
Do you mean Toledo kill CU?

Need at least 1 challenge in the non-conference. I'd love to see a "Colorado Kickoff" every season where we play Nebraska or Michigan or Notre Dame (etc., etc.) at Invesco every year to open the year. After that, keep the schedule relatively light. Try to get 2 home games in the years we have 5 Pac-12 roadies against only 4 home conference games.

Not only "no", but "HELL NO! and are you out of your freaking mind?!?!"

The fewer games at Invesco, the better. I don't care who the opponent is. I hate that place.

Not only "no", but "HELL NO! and are you out of your freaking mind?!?!"

The fewer games at Invesco, the better. I don't care who the opponent is. I hate that place.

Yeah. What was I thinking. I really hate watching a game in that stadium. Especially college. Totally sterile environment.

when two 3 or 6 win teams play at Invesco, no one cares. in Colorado sadly, across the nation for sure.

the series had a nice little heyday in the late 90's and 00's when Sonny was at his peak and CU was middling or up and down with Barney and people liked to see it nationwide the first week of the season but it ain't UT-ATM or close these days.

our prestige remains to be seen and CSU has been crap under Fairchild....even though he beat us.

Back