1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU's best recruiting opportunity state from outside the footprint?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Best CU target for outside the footprint?

1. Florida

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Georgia

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Illinois

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Louisiana

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Missouri

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. New Jersey

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. New York

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ohio

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Tennessee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Washington DC

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  11. Other

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  12. CU should not recruit outside the footprint

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

For this, I'm going to assume that the "footprint" includes anything from the Mountain time zone west plus Texas and any Colorado border states from the Central time zone (Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma).

Here's a brief case for the others I put in the poll:

Florida: largest collection of talent outside our region
    New Jersey: major talent producer with willingness to look nationally at colleges
    Illinois: solid talent and strong CU alumni base
    Louisiana: major talent producer where CU has had success in the past
    Tennessee: has sent talent to CU and has a general openness to look nationally
    Ohio: very good talent base similar to Louisiana in that there is only 1 in-state BCS program
    Georgia: big talent producer that has sent talent to CU before
    Washington DC: speed, talent and willing to look - has players on the current CU roster
    Missouri: produces some elite talent and geographically close
    New York: like NJ on talent and openness to leave plus some of the best JUCO talent in the nation

I also included options for "Other" or for not recruiting outside the footprint.

I'd say to stay within the footprint unless a prospect is found at a camp or through a personal connection. It's hard to justify trying to use resources to build a pipeline elsewhere when there's more than enough talent in the west.

2. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Tennessee: HCMM has recruited there while at Ole Miss and Duke and his roots are there. But still don't see any of the above as relevant.

PAC12 footprint plus Texas is all you need to know. Got to find those Texas kids who hate how hot it is down there and get them up here in July or August.

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Texas has grown by 6.5 million people since 2000. Lots of those kids will be actively looking to get out of state.

4. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Historically, it seems like it's been Louisiana.

5. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

To me it makes sense to look at where the average non-sports related CU student is coming from and target that state. Outside of our footprint that seems to be Chicago and the surrounding areas, the Northeast, like Jersey, NY, Mass, etc. I had a bunch of friends from DC but I don't know if that is common.

6. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

As the folks around here would say... the 757. Hampton Roads has some decent players and from what I understand we may have some CU legacy athletes ready in about 4 years... right HotRack?

7. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

I voted for Ohio, as we seem to have snagged a few quality players from there over the years. I would also agree that Illinois (Chicago in particular) make sense with our out-of-state student makeup (seem to have a lot of kids from Chicagoland in Boulder).

8. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

I kind of like the idea of Illinois. Good talent, out of the SEC footprint, I think it would be easier to recruit against B1G conferences than the SEC and the weather angle shouldn't be a factor for those guys.

9. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I doubt the returns from Ohio wouldn't be worth the time invested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Nowhere. Stay in footprint.

11. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Louisiana.

For the history of previous recruits and level of player coming out of that part of the country.

12. Quattro

1. Without looking at the previous classes I don't think we've had any success in Louisiana

2. I view it the same as Ohio. EB spent a **** ton of time in Louisiana with little to show for it. The elite talent is going to LSU, Bama, Auburn, and other SEC schools. Mid-level talent is honestly going to likely stay in-state. If a prospect shows interest then go for it but otherwise, pass.

13. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

14. Quattro

Sorry, forgot to put recently, not too concerned about a player 20+ years ago as a reason to recruit a state

15. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Probably the best answer. *When* we get to the level of a USC we can seriously look outside of it, but in the mean time we'd probably just spin our wheels. Exceptions of course for individuals outside the footprint where we have an in.

16. Quattro

My thoughts exactly

17. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Grew up in the near in Chicago 'burbs - LaGrange - and CU was the goal of the cool kids.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  18. Upcountry

Upcountry New Member

Stay in footprint. Recruit Arizona harder.

19. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

What about that short receiver we took so we could get his QB buddy that left us at the altar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. schubeal

schubeal Club Member Club Member

Don't recruit outside the footprint except for extenuating circumstances like an actively-recruited kid moving for his senior year.

If we absolutely must go outside of the footprint then you've got to go with Ohio. Very deep talent base and the Front Range is less of a culture shock compared with a kid from SEC or the east coast (assuming that the recruit hasn't traveled much).

21. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I'm fine with the existing Pac-12 footprint + old Big 12 South + Hawaii. Getting more time with the Pacific islands, SLC, Phoenix, and Seattle areas for connections should pay off big. If we're going to go outside for more than a one-off prospect, I chose Illinois. Louisiana may have more talent we'd like but culturally they're all in on SEC plus the Boulder thing as has been discussed before is a big adjustment and homesickness IMO would more often prevail.

From anecdotal evidence on this board of past generations plus my experience about a decade ago, CU was the school for the cool for Chicagoans wanting to head somewhere west but not as far as California. In a small wing of my freshman dorm I knew at least 3 people from Cook County. CU would be a good spot for athletes wanting something cosmopolitan who are used to below freezing temps but can get an easier winter and less humidity. As top-heavy as the Big Ten has been, I think we stand a better chance at luring them outside that footprint.

22. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I voted for New Jersey. There is a mystique among folks from New Jersey about Colorado. Don't ask me why, or how it started. But it exists. We have a natural advantage there in an area where there isn't an established college football powerhouse.

23. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I know that people joke "A 17 year old kid isn't going to be impressed by the Flatirons! They want girls and wins and fun!" but show a picture of Boulder and the surrounding area to a kid from Trenton and they'll be floored. Hell, show it to any city kid. Boulder should be a big draw for kids who want a fun atmosphere, pretty girls, fresh air and some wide open spaces. It can be almost intoxicating for some people to see the great outdoors for the first time.

24. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

+1 We get a pretty large group of traditional non-athletes to CU from the islands. It would be nice if we could use that to get more football recruits.

25. dply

Those who don't remember their history are doomed to repeat it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I didn't vote but we've done pretty well getting a few guys from D.C. over the years. I'd like it to be Colorado, California, Texas, Arizona(need to make a big effort there), and maybe snag a few from like Utah or Washington. We do that and start winning some recruiting battles, things will go forward.

27. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

If you look at the demographics of the student body as a whole, it is CA, then TX, then a shotgun of the US with FL and IL the next on the list if I recall correctly.

28. dply

CA, TX, IL, NJ, MA last time I looked.

29. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I voted Louisiana because of our successes from there in the past

30. gone native

gone native Club Member Club Member

I voted Louisiana too, but my reasons are red beans & rice and Harry Connick Jr.