What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Big 10 opponents close to being announced?

perhaps you should read what the poster said again...... paraphrase: "No one had as murderous schedule as CU last year"

my reply: LSU's schedule was tougher. It was ranked #1 in the country as the toughest schedule.

I don't think there was any more to read into than that. Are you looking to parse and argue every written word?

Didn't see that post but no I'm arguin that your argument is stupid and not factual at all.

Givin Bitches Wet Willies

I grew up at CU with the 1990's scheduling philosophy. I loved it. Loved going to Miami, Florida State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Washington, USC, UCLA etc....

Awesome. That was the 90's. New era and that scheduling rarely, if ever works now a days.

Except it just worked for lsu.
It worked for them in a sense. Seems to me it finally caught up to them in the end. Besides, LSU has the talent and depth to navigate a schedule like that. I think its pretty safe to say CU isnt to that point yet. We should never have a schedule without a bye week either no matter who is on it, thats just crazy.

Soldier Field against any B1G team except Michigan, Wisconsin, NU or OSU. For three of those four*, it may as well be a home game for them, and well we definitely should not do a one and done at a top team's stadium. Sure PSU (or most of the other B1G schools) would have more fans at Soldier Field than us, but they'd 1. have to travel a bit or 2. their fan base sucks or 3. they suck or 4. some combination of 1-3, so at least our fans could make it look a little less lopsided in the stands and the team would be competitive and/or win easily.

Actually, just had a random thought: Notre Dame in a one and done on a neutral field. That would be epic - both teams are down right now, but *every* college football fan older than 30 would remember...

*For the fourth team, if any CU AD ever schedules them for anything but a true home and home - they should be taken out behind the woodshed and beaten. Then fired. Then shot. Then beaten again just for the hell of it. On the other hand, if the preseason Rose Bowl game gets going (remember that story? - You know that's part of this PAC/B1G plan, they're just not talking about it now so that it will cause a bigger splash when they announce it officially) it would then be ok to have a one-off. And a true post-season Rose Bowl matchup would be, um, I don't have the words to describe how unbelievably allsome that would be.

Soldier Field against any B1G team except Michigan, Wisconsin, NU or OSU. For three of those four*, it may as well be a home game for them, and well we definitely should not do a one and done at a top team's stadium.

Why not those four schools?

Northwestern has a small fan base & plays offense similar to many PAC teams.

The other three schools (i assume that you are choosing them since they are currently some of the top programs) are between about 3 to 6 hours from Chicago, and I wouldn't be worried about it feeling like a home game for them. Yes, they would draw many more fans than us, but Chicago isn't exactly in their backyard.

I don't think OSU or MI would happen there due to distance, but I wouldn't rule out a WI game there. For a proposed game like this being at a neutral site, I think the Big Ten school would have to be pretty close to Chicago to sell enough tickets to make it worthwhile. Without this being a rivalry game, making sure its at least close to a sellout would probably be important for a neutral site game (think how lame recent Rocky Mountain Showdowns have looked on tv in recent years).

Why not those four schools?
I said why, but I will expand: it would essentially be an away game at a top team's virtual home stadium. Yes Michigan and OSU are several hours drive away - have you ever taken a look at the crowd at a Northwestern "home" game against one of those schools? (Long story, but I actually went to every single NW home game for a few years - I know of what I speak here.) Chi-town probably has more Michigan alumni than any other city that's not named Detroit (and I actually wouldn't be surprised if Chicago had more alumni in town that Detroit), OSU is right behind them and, let's be honest, it would be a home game for Wisconsin - the trip from Madison to Chicago is around 3 hours max, it's even closer to Milwaukee, and, once again, I would bet that in pure numbers, there are more Wisconsin Alumni in Chicago than there are in any single Wisconsin city. Simply put: it would be an *ugly* mismatch in the stands, and very tough on the field. Any other B1G team has some of those factors going on - but not all of them, together, in one bitch of a package. We all saw one last minute miracle against a B1G team in our lifetimes - our allotment has been used up. Schedule it again when we're all dead.

I said why, but I will expand: it would essentially be an away game at a top team's virtual home stadium. Yes Michigan and OSU are several hours drive away - have you ever taken a look at the crowd at a Northwestern "home" game against one of those schools? (Long story, but I actually went to every single NW home game for a few years - I know of what I speak here.) Chi-town probably has more Michigan alumni than any other city that's not named Detroit (and I actually wouldn't be surprised if Chicago had more alumni in town that Detroit), OSU is right behind them and, let's be honest, it would be a home game for Wisconsin - the trip from Madison to Chicago is around 3 hours max, it's even closer to Milwaukee, and, once again, I would bet that in pure numbers, there are more Wisconsin Alumni in Chicago than there are in any single Wisconsin city. Simply put: it would be an *ugly* mismatch in the stands, and very tough on the field. Any other B1G team has some of those factors going on - but not all of them, together, in one bitch of a package. We all saw one last minute miracle against a B1G team in our lifetimes - our allotment has been used up. Schedule it again when we're all dead.

Never mind. I didn't disagree with you, I was just looking for more detail in your reasoning, as I know that Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue are all definitely closer than Michigan or Ohio State. I was just trying to have a dialog about this, but it sure doesn't seem like you read what I wrote.

Whatever. You might as well have just started by typing: I don't ever want to see CU play a Big Ten team in Big Ten country. It's coming for the foreseeable future, so brace yourself. Also, I spent most of my life in the Chicago area and have gone to more games at Northwestern than at any school other than CU, so yes, I know what the crowds are like.

I, For one, can't wait for CU to announce a home and home with Meatchicken so we can watch Tini agonize about his allegiance before ultimately deciding on wearing a Meatchicken sweatshirt with a CU snapback on game day, and then doing it all over the folllowing year.

Then he can also enlighten us as to why Meatchicken's uniforms are so bad ass because they "never change."

I, For one, can't wait for CU to announce a home and home with Meatchicken so we can watch Tini agonize about his allegiance before ultimately deciding on wearing a Meatchicken sweatshirt with a CU snapback on game day, and then doing it all over the folllowing year.

Then he can also enlighten us as to why Meatchicken's uniforms are so bad ass because they "never change."

If you think I would ever root for a team not named CU when playing you are ****ing delusional. CU will never be replaced by any other team. Never ever ever ever.

Whatever. You might as well have just started by typing: I don't ever want to see CU play a Big Ten team in Big Ten country.
No - I don't want to see a one and done, in their stadium against a B1G team. I also don't want to see a one and done "neutral site" game against a top-tier B1G team. Those two scenarios are terrible. Just plain awful.

However, because we have an odd scheduling requirement over then next 3-5 years, I understand that we need a "one off" game somehow, somewhere. While my first preference would be for a one and done in Boulder against bottom feeder BCS school (aint happen no matter how much I want it), a very close second is a one off in Boulder against a C-USA or MAC team. Given that getting either of those ranges from impossible to very tough, I would accept (not be thrilled about, but accept) a one and done, in something approximating a neutral site against a non-top tier team. In that scenario, bring on, say, Purdud at Soldier Field.

And, just in case you missed it, here's my take on general scheduling with B10 schools: Home-and-homes are great! They are fantastic! Bring them on! Can't wait to get them started!

Not positive but pretty sure that we didnt get a home and home with Michigan in the 90's. I believe we played 2 at the Big House with one in Folsom. 94, 95(Folsom) then 97 I think. We couldnt get one back then, with most of the time being in the top 10 or 15, I dont see it happening these days. Could be wrong I guess.

Not positive but pretty sure that we didnt get a home and home with Michigan in the 90's. I believe we played 2 at the Big House with one in Folsom. 94, 95(Folsom) then 97 I think. We couldnt get one back then, with most of the time being in the top 10 or 15, I dont see it happening these days. Could be wrong I guess.

You are correct. Michigan was a 2-1 deal. As was FSU. We don't need to do that anymore. Technically, Toledo was not a one-off deal. That was the back end of a home/home with Miami of Ohio. Miami of Ohio backed out of our return trip and offered up Toledo as a replacement. We *should* have told them to stick it in their ear, taken the cancellation money, and scheduled another patsy for a home game on a Saturday afternoon in Boulder. We didn't.

You are correct. Michigan was a 2-1 deal. As was FSU. We don't need to do that anymore. Technically, Toledo was not a one-off deal. That was the back end of a home/home with Miami of Ohio. Miami of Ohio backed out of our return trip and offered up Toledo as a replacement. We *should* have told them to stick it in their ear, taken the cancellation money, and scheduled another patsy for a home game on a Saturday afternoon in Boulder. We didn't.

That should have gotten bohn fired. Imo

I think Bohn has been doing an excellent job lately. There hasn't been this much buzz about CU Football and Basketball in almost a decade.

Well.........This thread has become real interesting.

Here is my Husker (and some might call delusional) take on the Pac 12 / Big Ten future scheduling arrangement.

First: The scheduling will be worked out between the League leaders with some input from the ADs. Mostly by Scott's and Delaney's staff directly.
Second: There won't be any neutral sites or 1 for 2 type setups either way.
Third: There will be home and home arrangements with high profile made for TV games taking prominence such as a USC / Ohio St. game.
Fourth: Don't count out a series set up between Colorado vs Nebraska. There is to much history between the two schools for the conferences to ignore.

I hope there is room for a future for the CU / NU series down the road. Like it or not, TV execs like seeing how Nebraska fans travel as well as they do when the Huskers go to Boulder to play the Buffs.

Time will tell, but this Pac 12 / Big Ten deal could be fun. :thumbsup:

Back