1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU's Nike contract...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NashBuff, Oct 12, 2010.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I wonder how long the current Nike contract runs after this season? I hate the idea of not only subsizing CU's athletic programs with my CU Nike gear but UO's as well because of Phil Knight. Since CU and Utah are the newest programs in the Pac-12, why not go in with UnderArmour who is the newest player in that field as well? Just imagine the Buffs and Utes invading the Nike Empire.

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

UnderArmour would be cool if they can come to the table with a comparable deal to the Nike one. I'd like to see CU try to build a mystique around playing at Folsom, how unfriendly it is, how high it is, and how hard we can be to beat (once we ditch danny). Switching to UA and going back to non-eye-sore unis should be part of that.

3. Coloradosker

Coloradosker Active Member

Somewhat of a coup for adidas to take over ucla's contract in the heart of Phil Knightville.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I always believed the Nike deal with CU has been a great thing for CU. Business is business, but there's no need to burn bridges going into the Pac12.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

we were one of the first "Nike" schools so there's some history there. for the most part, I do like the Adidas stuff when they stay within the traditional frameworks of team aesthetics. I feel like Nike owes us money for the 07, 08. and 09 threads. but, all the other stuff you see for our programs--hoops, soccer, etc. i think is a quality look.

UA is probably the hippest with the young'uns these days.

6. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Nike is the way to go with recruits. And, CU was one of the original Nike schools in '95 with Michigan and Penn State.

Adidas, though European, is too traditional. Under Armour is still small potatoes.

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

For those of you who think Nike is too progressive, at least the brand has a lot of cache.

UA is funky as well, but their designs have a WAC feel to them. Very amateur. Case in point... Utah. Auburn, Maryland, Texas Tech, South Carolina, South Florida are the other UA schools. Of these, Auburn's is the only normal one, and that's because they kept it traditional. The rest are seizure-inducing with unnecessary stripes and absurd color schemes.

8. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I don't like what Nike does style wise but they are really good at some things. One thing Nike has on the rest is the edge on new technology. I remember CU was one of the first teams to get those "cool shirts" that plug into a cool air system when you're on the bench. Really helped during hot games from what I've heard. I also like that Nike is always introducting new materials (lighter, cooler, more comfortable, better and wicking sweat away, etc.) and more advanced equipment designs. They have really pushed equipment evolution much further and faster than any of the other big athletic manufacturers out there.

9. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

yup I remember it helped us score that 3 points in Miami, or was that Mason Crosby?

10. bbads

bbads Member

This is the dumbest thing i have ever read.

11. absinthe

Clearly you are new here and haven't found the politics board.

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Fify

13. badfish650

badfish650 Member

If you doubt the perception of Nike in the marketplace, take a look at Twitter today regarding the announcement that Nike will be taking over the NFL apparel contract. I read roughly 200 tweets and they were all not only positive...but also bashed Reebok.

I think if you enjoy stuff like Throwback unis and alternated jerseys, Nike is the way to go. Not many companies would have had the resources to buy an entire rosters all new helmets for just 1 game ( Last year vs Wyo and Black helmets for the Vegas gold jerseys in 1998.) That's a ton of dough.

I for one, really love the Nike gear. I hope we get that Nike Pro Combat Collection ... but that seems pretty unlikely since teams that are 19-35 under a suckass head coach aren't the ones that sponsors are looking to invest a lot of money in.

14. absinthe

grow up.

15. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Nike rules with the recruiting-age set. That's one thing we have going for us.

16. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

This marks a return to the NFL for Nike, as they had the jersey sponsorship in the later '90s.

[​IMG]

17. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

And the balance sheet doesn't like it that fans don't open their wallets for Dear ole CU. We can't afford facility upgrades. Hell, were still paying back the stadium expansion loan to the general fund. We need Nike and their money and we will need it for awhile.

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Get a sense of humor. :lol:

Sexton Hardcastle likes this.
  19. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

Absolutely not.

Underarmour is cool? Maybe in 2004. Who are we South Florida?

Nike has endless money to invest in their products and make higher quality stuff than any other apparel company. Hell, their Dri-fit is better quality than Under Armour's signature line. Their cleats wear two tons. Even Adidas sucks, they charge more for less quality. I agree Nike could do a better job (authentic jerseys and not ignore our basketball program at times). But c'mon, we suck as a sports program recently and yet get new jerseys every year.

20. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

:lol:

21. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Nike is the way to go for sure. Just gotta take some of their creativity away and bring it back to the traditional stuff from late 80s/early 90s and stick with that. If they want to gay up the other sports then so be it but bring the tradition back and stop messing with it.

22. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

It would be absolutely insane to leave Nike. Ever. Goodness. UA is a joke, as is Reebok and Adidas stuff is lame. Plus, Nike's fan choice options in shirts and hats can't be beat. They have a great variety to choose from for us fans, IMO.

Don't get mad at Nike for saddling us with the new unis -- we let it happen. I'm sure we could go to the current throwbacks if CU demanded it. Nike seems to keep OU, UT and Penn State looking boring and traditional, so I think they would for us as well.

23. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

has this thread gone on longer then it should have? what do you think about pepsi or coke for our next concessions contract? pepsi is the choice of a new generation and would look cool behind the counter??

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

Has to be Coke, Pepsi is Taco Hell's fatal flaw.

25. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

CU should do what's in the best interest of CU and not worry about what that means to Oregon. Phil Knight is going to give the same amount of money to UO independent of CU's decision, so just worry about getting the contract that makes the most sense for CU, fiscally, style-wise, etc.

26. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Nike has indeed been good to the Buffs...just another thread of mine that throws something out for the heck of it.

27. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

could you imagine the mess outside Folsom if we started serving Taco Bell...that should be a thread.