What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Pitman pleased with Buffs' offseason conditioning regimen

"Hawkins needs to shut up and start winning games" is not a critism. It is a position statement that is used as a pat talking point.

I have no problem with constructive critism. I do find bringing up winning, or rehashing Hawk's 13-23 record in the month of March to be neither constructive nor critical. Bravado is also annoying.

I'm calling you out because the Pittman article had nothing to do with chest thumping and bravado. He did not claim that the Buffs would win the North. He indicated maturity and commitment as would be expected with Hawk's older recruits becoming upper classman.

My critism of Pittman has been that there have been some ACL tears happenng to the OL, and question whether the training regime should shoulder culpability.

Your 'critism' points the finger at sunshine pumpers, and reguritates a standard party line that you refuse to believe coach speak until they start winning some games.

I'll stop saying it. I'll hope we have a winning season and hope we make a splash soon. But some people need to stop with the outlandish predictions also.

I'll stop saying it. I'll hope we have a winning season and hope we make a splash soon. But some people need to stop with the outlandish predictions also.

Yeah, I've avoided the "guess the home/away" record threads myself.
The 2009 campaign will largely define Hawkins. If his team goes sub .500, he'll be out of goodwill. If he wins his 10 games and no excuses, then the bandwagon will really roll, a nice bowl game will follow and a nice recruiting class is possible.

Multiple plot lines will make this season interesting.
- Starting QB: Coach's son with a heart and brain, or the outsider?
- Offensive identity & Helfrich game day play calling abilities:
- Special teams
- Defensive line?
- Pecking order of the North & dominance of the South?
- Winning the elusive road game?
- Spoiler or contender?
- Will a 4 or 5 star live up to expectations
- Revenge games & Rivalries: Who gets the best of whom?

I love the game and the program for more than just the W/L. The process of transforming the Thorpe/Barnett administration into this latest incarnation is fascenating.

As a fan, I'm targeting the WV, UT, OSU, and NU games to attend. So my own personal drama involves the thrill of those trips and the outcme of those games.

Your a military guy as I was, results matter. I think they should continue to say whatever they want, all i'm saying is, what they feed us in the off-season hasn't translated to the field so, I tend to brush it aside as coach speak and look to see it on the field and in the win/loss column.

I understand it, and they should get the fans excited and sell tix, and at the same time, I can say show me on the field and in the win/loss column. I know it's taboo thinking here but i'm not going to change that way of thinking until the hype starts becoming a reality and we win more than we lose.

As military guys (as with anybody else) it's also important to know when results matter.

If I'm putting some guys on a rooftop (you know, from my current desk in NATO), it's gotta be in the zero plus five seconds timing range, because with SPECOPS the shooting starts on time. That matters.

If you're a college football fan you can pick and choose a little more, where results are concerned. Of course wins and losses are pretty much the ultimate "result" when we're discussing sports. However, there are a few milestones along the way that can give us satisfaction.

It's precisely because in sports results don't really matter (especially when compared to what you did in the service) that permits us to pick and choose the gristle on which we chew and whether or not it makes us happy.

I'll join you in wishing for a whole bunch of wins in 2009 though!

:lol: Talk about broken records, the bs I read from the kool-aid crowd is just as bad as the pessimists. We hear the same thing over and over yet you have no problem if it's your view. Great logic.

Bull**** syko, I was pissed at the team last year and was one of the reasons I wasn't around the boards in November and December. I was very bitter and wouldn't have been very fun to talk CU FB. I was ripping a lot of things CU off the boards. Bitter, very bitter. I started over because it is just a game and their are more important things. But after some time off I got refreshed and began my loyalty and support back for my buffs.

Hey that's a great Idea :thumbsup:

I'm suggesting that we hear this same stuff every spring,. I can't wait to hear the soundbites during the spring. Maybe hawk will push his prediction to 11 games :rolleyes:

I hope all of them are doing great and improving their game, that would be awesome and what we need, just show us on the field and not in the media.
Well, except for the spring where we couldn't even run a regular spring game because we didn't have enough linemen. When was that? Two springs ago? Listen, if there are things to be positive about, what is wrong with being positive?

We've heard this same song and dance every off-season. We have freaks and people with speed. Back it up with wins or be quiet.
Tim Gunhard had a radio program in K.C. and he was talking about the first day of training camp with all of the new people. He said every year there would be guys that lived in the weight room, where cut like a brick $hit house. When they got on the football field, they would trip over their own feet. Strength and conditioning is good, but athletic ability is much more important. What goes on in the weight room doesn't guarantee anything on the playing field. If a tight end can bench 450 lbs. but can't catch, run and block - he's worthless. Just win baby!

Last edited:
Well, except for the spring where we couldn't even run a regular spring game because we didn't have enough linemen. When was that? Two springs ago? Listen, if there are things to be positive about, what is wrong with being positive?

Nothing wrong with being positive at all, carry on :thumbsup:

Tim Gunhard had a radio program in K.C. and he was talking about the first day of training camp with all of the new people. He said every year there would be guys that lived in the weight room, where cut like a brick $hit house. When they got on the football field, they would trip over their own feet. Strength and conditioning is good, but athletic ability is much more important. What goes on in the weight room doesn't guarantee anything on the playing field. If a tight end can bench 450 lbs. but can't catch, run and block - he's worthless. Just win baby!
If I recall, Solder was pretty good last year. It'll be interesting to see what Coach Johnson can do with him and the other linemen.

Don't you guys ever get tired of saying the same thing, over and over and over and over again?

Your a military guy as I was, results matter. I think they should continue to say whatever they want, all i'm saying is, what they feed us in the off-season hasn't translated to the field so, I tend to brush it aside as coach speak and look to see it on the field and in the win/loss column.

I understand it, and they should get the fans excited and sell tix, and at the same time, I can say show me on the field and in the win/loss column. I know it's taboo thinking here but i'm not going to change that way of thinking until the hype starts becoming a reality and we win more than we lose.

My guess is that if they had any clue as to the huge amount of injuries we would have last year, they would have tempered their remarkes last offseason. You plan and work and talk about where you think you are, and sometimes **** happens. Last year without the huge amount of injuries, I think we could have won 2-3 more games, and even just one would have got us back in a bowl and everyone would have been much happier (except the quitter who wanted extra weightroom time).

I think the point some people miss is that it is a progression. This off-season workouts being better than last years can mean that they, as a team, will be faster/stronger etc going into the season than last year. The team was beat up with minimal "experienced" dept, people complained about size/strength/speed, and they are showing us they are bigger/stronger/faster than this time last year.

To get the wins they need to improved in many categories and that is what they are showing. I too get tired of the "Just shut up an win" comments when they do not paly a game almost 6 months.

Go Buffs!

I think the point some people miss is that it is a progression. This off-season workouts being better than last years can mean that they, as a team, will be faster/stronger etc going into the season than last year. The team was beat up with minimal "experienced" dept, people complained about size/strength/speed, and they are showing us they are bigger/stronger/faster than this time last year.

To get the wins they need to improved in many categories and that is what they are showing. I too get tired of the "Just shut up an win" comments when they do not paly a game almost 6 months.

Go Buffs!

Other teams are saying they are doing better also. When have you ever heard coaches say their team is worse this spring than last, seriously?

Other teams are saying they are doing better also. When have you ever heard coaches say their team is worse this spring than last, seriously?

Hawk's first year here I do remember him saying something to the effect of "we have a lot of work to do".

Maybe not the exact scenario that you're describing, but pretty close, IMO.

Hawk's first year here I do remember him saying something to the effect of "we have a lot of work to do".

Maybe not the exact scenario that you're describing, but pretty close, IMO.

Actually, hawk was dead honest when we had 6 OL that one spring and stated what you said.

One more week.

I'll paraphrase what I remember from the Hawkins era....

His first year he something to the effect of "..We have a lot of work to do..".

The next year I remember something like. '...there is improvement, but much still left to do..."

Last year I heard ".... have come a long way but some guys need to take ownership of thier off season workout committements.."

So, unlike you i do not remember the staff always blowing optimistic smoke. It is not a far stretch to think that after a few years of the program the staff is excited about the players collective committement and progress. I want wins as much as anyone, but come on, let the system run it's course.

We've heard this same song and dance every off-season. We have freaks and people with speed. Back it up with wins or be quiet.

Of course not. Just don't expect everyone to take everything they say at face value either. As far as on-field results go, they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Your point is well taken, when it's pointed in the right direction. But for god's sake, this was a conditioning coach describing the team's effort in a off-season program, right before spring practice starts. And Pitman doesn't blow smoke - after the first season he was up front about what an ass-kicking it was and players left the team. Last year he remarked on vast improvement. This year's team did better - what's wrong with reporting that?

When people make outlandish predictions, call them on it. This thread didn't start with any such thing, but congratulations on redirecting to your pet(ty) argument. :rolleyes:

zbuff actaully brings up a great point. Pittman is not one to blow smoke, getting the guy to smirk, let alone smile is a minor miracle. I've sat with Pittman at the coaches banquet down in the Springs, and he's a no nonsense kind of guy. He's an ass kicker, not a rah-rah cheerleader type. This isn't coach speak, it's just a report.

I hear it all the time. Lubick used to do it before the CU/CSU game. I think it was more mind games. Like Sacky said, Hawk said it his first year here.

Back