1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU's Proposed Capital Projects List

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, May 17, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

SportsFan101 (a really solid poster on Rivals) found this and originally posted it on that board.

Great info and a very good plan, imo, for CU athletics facility improvements.

Included:

Athletics and Recreation Projects
    Recreation Center Addition & Renovation $63,500,000 (1-10 years)
    Recreation Tennis Courts Replacement $2,000,000 (1-10 years)
    Recreation Sports Fields Athletics $8,000,000 (1-10 years)
    Performance Facility for Soccer & Lacrosse $12,000,000 (1-10 years)
    Athletics Balch Fieldhouse Renovation $28,000,000 (6-15 years)
    Athletics Dal Ward Expansion for Women's Sports $20,000,000 (6-15 years)
    Athletics New Track & Field Facility $10,000,000 (6-15 years)
    Athletics Fieldhouse and Parking Structure $85,000,000 (6-15 years)

http://www.colorado.edu/masterplan/plan/Exhibit%20V-A-3%20Proposed%20Capital%20Projects%20List%20Revised%204-12-11.pdf

:thumbsup:

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

where is football

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Glad to see the rec center is #1. That place is a ****hole. Hopefully the pool is priority #1 and the hockey rink is #2. Div 1 water polo, swimming and diving, and hockey would be a step in the right direction. Plus the students deserve a decent place to swim. The current pool is embarrassing and the worst I have ever seen other than CSU.

4. Daaah

edit. ****hole ****hole neener neener ****hole.

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

:ban:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Blach Fieldhouse $28,000,000 ? Maybe they can put something together for football practice facility? Duh!

7. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

The list includes a new Fieldhouse...what would that be for?

8. Del

Del Member

Good to see that these things are on the list but I wonder how many we will actually see break ground in the next 3 yrs or so other than the rec center which will be funded with student fees? Too bad that the one that would do the most for football cost the most by far at 85 million. I have a feeling we will be seeing the bubble for a while.

9. Del

Del Member

The easiest ones to slide through would either be the track and field facility because of its lower cost or the expansion for women's sports because of the Boulder community

10. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

i want pictures.

11. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

students/USCU voted for a new Rec plan that doesn't include a new lap/competitive swim facility. the new pool is more like you'll find at a resort. bad decision. you should have seen the computer graphic mock-ups. silly. seems like a huge maintenance cost for something that can only really used 4, maybe 5 months a year....2-3 of those months when most students aren't even on campus (summer session).

looks like lacrosse is happening down the road, if there's going to be a facility. bet that means field hockey, too.

edit: about the Rec, this is what one of the current lifeguards who has been working there for 3 years now told me. he was pissed....as was the club team.

12. Del

Del Member

Agree, resort style pool would be great idea if the school was in FL, CA, AZ, or TX and students could use it almost year round but for CU it doesn't make any sense. Another lap pool would have been so much better. Without a new one it will still be just as crowded for everybody that uses the current one.

13. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Wait... The pool is outdoors?? ****ing morons.

14. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I'm hoping it's on the 1-5 year list that is not presented here.

15. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

and it's not even just the main pool that's crowded, Clare Small and the one in Carlson are also nearly always at capacity, i'm told. i swim 2-3 times a week b/ween 6:30 and 8 AM, give or take....and if the club team is there, the Master's classes that are b/ween 7-8:30 on MWF....in the spring you are screwed a lot of the time (partially due to bad policy and poor Rec management....imo)...club team, triathlon team, ROTC shows with 40 guys sometimes kind of without a posted schedule...so, they move lap swim over the Clare....but really only accommodate about 7-10 swimmers at once MAX. or: you got to wait. and i don't time for that in the AM a lot of times and since they never post any hours for the club teams "informal" swims where they occupy 5 lanes, it's a total crap shoot.

the plan i heard about but clearly didn't pass muster was to knock the wall out b/ween the current pool and Clare...and build an Oly size pool going north-south. but, since Clare is already sliding into Boulder Creek a few inches a year, i don't know if the old retaining wall could have done the job.

but, like i say, the pics of the "new pool" with all kinds of waterfalls and circular islands and crap looked really cool. though, i'll lay it at the feet of the current student voters lack of critical capacity to NOT realize there won't be margs and Coronas, too.

big loser is the possibility of swimming and diving to D-1. Club teams are dominant at their level and it would seem to make some sense to invest in a move up for them. all you need is the infrastructure investment and you've got no Title IX issues and very little per season cost outside travel (which every sport will have)...and then what?...CU speedos and duffel bags which Nike is prolly buying for you. there are probably a dozen peeps in Boulder right now who would be competent swim coaches as former triathletes, swimmers, etc....who would love to get back "in the game".

16. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I am guessing those last 4 items on the list are probably one giant construction project broken up into phases. Likely to create new football facilities and a new training facility for all athletes. It just comes in 4 seperate phases.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Another thing I don't see anywhere on there is any kind of expansion or renovation of Folsom. Nothing for new seating, bathrooms, etc.

18. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

It would be so easy to get Folsom to 65-70K capacity. Hoping to see it sometime soon.

19. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

We gotta sell out Folsom before we make it bigger. I'd rather have a packed stadium like Autzen than a stadium with 65-70K with 20-30K empty seats.

20. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

We have been fine with attendance. 5 straight losing seasons and still near full. We have never sold out every game in the past, yet have expanded in the past. There wont be 20-30K empty seats if we expand, I can promise you that.

I would also like to see bigger video boards at each end and stadium seats in the prime seating areas, but that would probably actually reduce the capacity.

21. Quattro

We average at 92% capacity, which is about middle of the pack in the 12 Pac. I just don't know if upgrading up to 65-70K is the smartest thing right now, maybe wait and see if attendance goes up and determine if we need to expand.

I'm with you on the video boards though, or at least they could replace the black squares.

22. Shldr2Shldr

The north endzone is supposed to be getting a video upgrade either this season or next fyi

23. Quattro

Yeah I've heard that to along with a new sound system.

24. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yep. Sound system and video boards.

If we get the stadium rights deal done, expect pretty much all of that money to be plowed back into Folsom. They need to do some repairs, upgrade restrooms and other facilities, remodel the press box, etc.

25. Daaah

You're forgetting water polo which consistently performs very well considering the fact that they practice in a 20 yard pool.

26. Shldr2Shldr

I expect folsom to be repainted and some small things fixed, along with new tarps along the railing at the bottom of the stands to go along with our move to the new conference. The naming rights deal, which I am guessing Frontier would want done before the football season starts, will pay for a lot of what you just mentioned.

27. Quattro

They need to fix the bleachers in the student section as well.

28. Daaah

Huh? Why?

29. Quattro

They're not very well secured down in some areas.

30. Daaah

So what?